Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Morris Minor Gasser build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southcross2631, Oct 22, 2016.

1. You have come a long way from that HOT day we loaded it up,looks great. HRP

2. southcross2631

southcross2631

Finished the driver side header today. These are just temporary as I will be building a set of bigger primary tube headers later. These will get me started. Getting around the steering shaft was a little tricky, but not bad. Had to take into account a firewall mounted master cylinder. DSCF3462.JPG DSCF3461.JPG

3. southcross2631

southcross2631

It steers ! Now to make it stop. Brakes and brake lines are next, then fuel lines and wiring. I have everything for the brakes except the master cylinder and some brake line and fittings.
    I will be using a 76 Mustang 2 master cylinder for manual disc brakes. It is what I used on my last Morris Minor and it worked out well. Cheap to buy at any parts store. DSCF3463.JPG DSCF3464.JPG

4. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

You may have to grease the front of that oil pan for tight turns. Just kidding. Great job with packaging 10lbs of stuff in a 5lb package!

Fiddle Picker likes this.
  5. southcross2631

southcross2631

That's funny. It actually moves away from the pan the tighter you turn. I was worried about that . The steering box is as far forward as possible.

catdad49 and Fiddle Picker like this.
  6. gdaddy

gdaddy
    from nw fl.

Does ackerman come into play in a drag race car ?

7. southcross2631

southcross2631

Ackerman comes into play on any car that steers. Not as much on a drag car because hopefully it goes straight and the only turning is on and off the track at low speeds.
    I bought a Nova once that someone had put rack and pinion steering on it. You could turn on a dime to the right and not turn around in a 40 acre field to the left.
    Had to fix that right away.

8. Butch M

Butch M

wow that's going to be way cool

Fiddle Picker and loudbang like this.
  9. southcross2631

southcross2631

Decided to make my Southeast Gasser required back bumper today. Enlarged the factory bumper bracket holes and used some 1.25 inch roll bar tubing . Leaves plenty of room for my wheelie bars. DSCF3466.JPG DSCF3467.JPG

10. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got my master cylinder mounted today. One step forward and one step back. Got the master cylinder mounted and the primary tube for # 8 cylinder would not allow me to take the cap off.
    So I cut up the header and had to remake the tube to clear the master cylinder. That's the problem with putting an American V-8 in an English tea bag. Before you folks get on me about the header tube being too close to the master cylinder. I am going to put a heat shield on the header tube, since wrapped headers are against the rules for the Southeast Gassers. It would be a bigger concern if it was a street car , but this is a drag race only car. the master cylinder is from a 1975 Mustang 2 for manual disc /drum and it works great and is cheap.
    DSCF3468.JPG DSCF3469.JPG

catdad49, Butch M, AHotRod and 10 others like this.
  11. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Looking good!!

12. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

I missed a lot. Not getting updates. Looking great Mike !!

loudbang likes this.
  13. southcross2631

southcross2631

Thanks, I haven't done much lately. Got a job so I can make a few bucks to buy parts.
    Then the wife fell at work and banged up her knee and has been on crutches for the past two weeks. So my time has been taken up taking her to doctors and helping her out.
    Like everybody else need money to buy parts to finish this project.

catdad49, brEad, AHotRod and 3 others like this.
  14. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Man, hope she has full recovery. Thinking about y'all. I'm gonna miss the only race in Georgia this year. Got to re-do everything in the bell housing (shield). Still driving up to watch this Saturday.

catdad49, loudbang and Zak Hall like this.
  15. Bonehead II

Bonehead II

O/T was it you that put a Willys front on a Plymouth coupe ? If so was that a hard job ? I have a '38 Plymouth coupe that I would like to try that on.....Thanks
    Mike

16. southcross2631

southcross2631

Bonehead , yes it was me . It fits surprising well . Actually Gasser Dave did the car. I ended up with it after it went to Fl.
    I redid the car totally after I hit both walls at Douglas , Ga. New frame from the firewall forward.
    Reworked the rear suspension . Rebuilt the Willys nose with some help from a guy who fixes semi truck fiberglass tilt front ends. The nose was in 4 pieces after the crash. PM me and I will send you some detailed photos of the car with front tilted so you can get a better idea of what is involved.
    Don't want to load up this thread with another car.

catdad49 and Fiddle Picker like this.
  17. Bonehead II

Bonehead II

Yes...I will PM you as soon as, I can find out how to PM someone

18. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Run your mouse pointer over the persons avatar that you want a private conversation with and you will get a pop up menu. Select start a conversation and your on your way.

19. Bonehead II

Bonehead II

Thanks, GordonC

20. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

It was good seeing you and your wife today. I posted a bunch of pics on the thread that is linked in my signature

21. southcross2631

southcross2631

Well not much to post . I did get the inside of the car painted . Now I can install the gauges and wiring and the seats.
    DSCF3477.JPG DSCF3478.JPG DSCF3476.JPG

22. gdaddy

gdaddy
    from nw fl.

do you have room for a seat ?

23. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Keep up the pace!! First race of the year is gonna come quick!!!

Fiddle Picker and porkshop like this.
  24. southcross2631

southcross2631

Yes, there will be 2 seats in the car.

25. southcross2631

southcross2631

I got my gauges mounted in the dash and my tach on the dash . Now need to start on a switch panel.
    So I can start wiring the car. DSCF3480.JPG DSCF3479.JPG

26. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

27. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Looks great! I like that you gave it some color inside.

28. gdaddy

gdaddy
    from nw fl.

got the seats in , even got room for a console and arm rest . looking good .

29. southcross2631

southcross2631

After you climb in over the roll bar ,it is actually fairly comfortable . Not built for someone real tall.
    It is only built for 1/8 th mile trips.

30. gdaddy

gdaddy
    from nw fl.

no need for a cup holder then , unless you want to celebrate on a mighty fine build .