Register now to get rid of these ads!

morning Anti Errectile Dysfunction material and the MONTHLY BANGER MEETING!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fur biscuit, Apr 2, 2007.

1. You want to put the last piece of the video link "j2h06fo7fpo" into these Brackets [ yt] [ /yt]

Like this....

2. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

thanks clark,
    i figured it out as you were posting!

i was trying to film driving...put the camera in the car...but it shut off!!
    i'll post what i got as soon as they load

mine doesnt sound as good as yours...

im not sure why the sound is off on here.....it actually revs when i hit the throttle???

3. I was going to ask what was to blame for the major hesitation between throttle and revs!

4. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

its just on youtube....
    on the video saved on my computer its not off like that

do you notice any problems with your flywheel being that light?
    drivability or anything

i really need to rip this car apart and start fixing things...
    i guess this is what you get for buying an already built car...it runs so im just driving it when it really needs an overhaul

5. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

here we go, its a shame the camera shut off on the 2nd one..it was about a minute of twisties!
    oh well

6. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

What flywheel are you using a Flathead Aluminum?

7. Great vids.

2nd vid looked well and as you said it was a shame it cut off so early.

I'll have to see what I can do!

Yes, its a Wilcap aluminium flatty V8 flywheel from Reds Headers.

8. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

thanks
    yeah i ran out of time yesterday to do it again...and now we're in for a rainy stretch the next few days
    I'm anxious to try it with my other car too
    ....i never get to ride in the cars so its kinda neat seeing it as a passanger

i took a cheapy lightweight tri-pod...jammed 2 legs down between the seat cushions to the floor underneath so it was tight against the back cushion and then one leg out over the front...kept adjusting till it all was snug
    seemed to work out well and didnt harm the seat
    i was worried it would get out of wack on the bumps....but it seemed to stay put pretty well

the hardest part was hitting "record" without moving it!

9. Tried to get a moving vid. Thought it was recording but all I'd done was take it off standby!

Just taped the camera to the parcel shelf behind the seat!

Got the oil leak sorted.
    Unbolted the main stud nuts one and at time and held onto them so they didn't fall into the sump. Rolled a rubber 'o' ring down the bolt and clamped it back up again.
    Managed to bolt them back up again without the bolt spinning and so far it hasn't leaked a drop from the main studs.

Yah!

Eeerrmmm...It may just be me, but where is everyone this month?

10. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

very nice, if i wasn't such a techno-tard we'd have ourselves a virtual west/right coast and land'o'limeys banger run!!

11. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Ha! I built a purpose-made bracket for holding my camera to my parcel shelf. Took me 3 hours to make and when I fitted it, it was on the piss. Have to block up one side with a folded magazine...
    Still....loads better than when the wife holds the camera, as can be witnessed with this little snippet of Orson Welles-like genius.....

12. Oh - I'm right back here - hoping to catch all those throw away speed parts as they fall off in your wake...

Might see you tomorrow if all goes according to plan. That is - I can muster more than 20 miles at a time, without the brown, silty woodlice blocking the tank outlet!

13. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

B stash #1 is home
    some good stuff....the motor has a rebuild tag .060 over .010 under on the rods and none under on the mains
    looks nice as far as cracks in the valve area....ive yet to pull the head...but it turns over nice! even came with a stand!
    the engine is not counterbalanced...but then i got the extra crank with the deal
    the other "junk" is pictured....finally got a 32 bearing retainer too!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Very nice pile!!!

15. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tasty pile of B bits!

16. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

So did Bruce finally get over to PA then?? I know I was trying to hook up with him when he passed on through,....??

Nice to see the B running so well guys,...Zach,...4ever4,...awsome!!

So, just for giggles,...what's the average speed I can expect from a B block with a mild cam grind, C crank, and, say a super brunfield head with a duel set of Holley 94s on the air intake?? I'm just wondering,....still not getting the time to dig into my B block as I'd like to,...need more time!!!!! AGGH!!

later guys,...

PS. hey there's a fellow on here if anyone hasn't noticed,...interested in 4 bangers,...looks like he's got an A mill,...lets see if we cant school him and lend a bit of help....hell, I know I need all the info I can use! LOL!!!

17. Wildfire

Wildfire

Got my head and intake back from polishing and the engine is at the machine shop getting bigger valves. Hope to reassemble soon.

18. Nice stuff.

It no use trying to hide that *cough* V8 *cough* in the corner!

Thanks.

19. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

hiding the V8!!
    if you look close...theres actually 2 of them in that picture :D
    the V8's outnumber the 4 bangers here unfortunately, but im working on it!!

went to a little cruise in car show on saturday and my friend Roger showed up with his 31 roadster with the schofield head
    unfortunately i forgot the camera....it was awfully cold but we had a little back and forth on the 4 lane on the way home....his motor is an A block with the schofield head...its worked over pretty good and sounds REALLY roudy he was pretty competative with my cyclone B....but i think i could take him if we had the chance to actually run them!....he's 74yrs old.... and we were dicing traffic like 16 year olds!!
    i'll try to get pictures tonight of his car....it's pretty cool....first time ive seen it in running order....still in need of the bias-plies though...I've talked him into them...so just some time before its "right!"
    Zach

and thanks coaltown and others

20. Well - I've been using my old Fordor since I put it on the road, and for those considering running a banger at the "two cents and a big apple" end of expenditure I can tell you that I'm kinda impressed. Stock engine, condition unknown but a bit rumbly at times (I have a history of fingers crossed, never had the head off, flatheads installed with blind faith...) lightened flywheel and a single updraught Tillitson. 3.54 final drive, 5.50x16's front, 7.50x16's on the rear, '39 Ford front dampers, Morris Minor shocks out back, and a couple of leaves missing. Apart from that a stone stock Model A.

Five-up and laden with tents, sleeping bags, camp beds, tools, and all sorts of other paraphenalia we did battle on the road with the best of 'em over the Bank Holiday weekend traffic. We were never quite the slowest thing on the road - normally sticking with the traffic on minor roads, and rolling with the lorries in the slow lane on major roads.

We even had to slow up at one point approaching some 50mph speed cameras...

On the homewards bound journey from Wheels Day in Surrey, we took about 4 hours to cover 150 miles, much of it through little towns and villages, two stops for petrol, we managed about 20 miles to the IMPERIAL gallon. That's not too bad for a heavy old barn door shaped Model A coach in my opinion!

Improvements will come with time - upcoming hills had to approached at a charge to avoid dropping into second, likewise the front drums turning to plasticene when slowing the barge down on long downwards slopes. If I could, I'd have raised the Flags of all Nations...

First thing I do have to sort is the engine breathing. Mainly when labouring up hills, the vapours rise up through the floorboards quite visibly! Any thoughts on a better breather - hopefully one that runs the oil back into the engine rather than leaving it in a trail down the side of the engine?

21. As you've proved a stock Model 'A' is perfectly adequate for modern road use. Brings back all the memories of when my old Coupe was stock.

Breathing is a difficult one. The stock system doesn't work properly especially with modern driving. Something even the factory was aware of as the design of the breather changed countless times throughout production.

I always suffered from heavy breathing and the only way I cured it was a Bill Stripe over sized breather tube, extra Offy breather on the valve chest cover and modern piston and rings.

Or you can bodge it and use a Chevy 6 or similar breather with the long down pipe and direct all the blow back under the car and hopefully into the passing air stream!

22. Chevy 6?!!

You tell me that now I've cleared the garage of all things Chevy.... Aaargghh!!!!

23. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

you could pretty easily replicate the stock B breather tube
    its alot larger diameter then an A and seems to work well on my motor

basically its just a big tube with a series of steps inside tapered down hill to let the oil run back into the motor
    then the cap is vented with a screen
    i think i may have a cut-away drawing of one somewhere
    i'll look this afternoon for you
    Zach

24. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

25. Thats why I said it. I thought you still had all the Chevy tat!

I've never actually had a 'B' breather. All my 'B' engines either didn't have one, they were mangled beyond use or fitted with an 'A' breather.

26. Thi is my first time on the monthly post, as I am very new to the "banger" world. I am building a B engine for my 30 coupe, and have a pile of parts for the build: Winfield head (6.4:1), Burns dual intake with two 81's, header set up for duel exhaust, Mallory dist. (very old set up for stock pop-out and manual spark advance), B block with bolt on counter weights and a lightened flywheel (unknown as to how much, was done when I purchased engine, but sure looks different). Cam grind will probably be Winfield SU-1A
    Does this combo sound good/bad? Anyone ever built something similar to this (I am assuming "yes") and if so, wat kind of power did you get? Also, jet size...any opinions???
    Sorry if these questions are obvious or simply stupid, but like I said, I am VERY GREEN at these engines :)
    Thanks, Chris

27. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Chris, sounds good. The only thing I'd be concerned about would be the cam. 4ever4 has just fitted a 1A and he reckons that the power band has shifted further up the rev range, so to handle this your engine would need to be able to rev fairly high to get the best out of it.
    For a regular street engine, you may want to think about a SU 1R. This is a hotter cam than a B grind but still gives loads of low-down torque and is very street friendly. Quite a few of the banger guys over here use them and are very happy with them.
    Good luck with your engine and don't be afraid to post some pictures!

28. I was going to say that the 1A is bad but its not!

It idles like like normal, will sit in traffic all day and pull from nothing even with the 3.05 gearing I'm running in the quickchange.

You get away with running a cam like that because of the '4' being such a basic torque monster.
    The cam is screamer though and you'll only get the advantage of it by spinning the crap out the engine.

You want to build the engine as a package which it sounds like it is apart from the cam. A 1A would work but a lesser cam will work better in this application.

29. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

do you guys know the specs between the 2 winfield cams?

30. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Got the specs at home, I can post them later on unless someone else has them to hand.

Have you done a RWYB yet, Clark? Got any times for us?