Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Morgans 51 chev sedan build up (Australia)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Morgan91, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Engine mounts done

[​IMG]

Started cutting out the floor of the boot so I can notch the chassis.

[​IMG]

Still undecided if I will airbag it or not but I'm going to notch it either way so that I have some suspension travel

Will have to tub it as well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Haven't even started to try to do the 2 door conversion yet, I just want to get it onto 4 wheels and drivable then il start worrying about that.

2. TheLogLady

TheLogLady

Look forward to seeing the final product at Chopped again this year ;) comming along well dood.

3. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

yeah me to.......haha. just found out i don't get my full licence until I'm 22 (i thought it was 21) so technically i won't be aloud to drive the V8 until I'm 22. so unless i can get some sort of exemption i might have to tow it to chopped (if its even all back together by then)

4. TheLogLady

TheLogLady

jesus..forgot all about that law. I thought it was only for people who drove commodores :)..they should have a year excemption,,anything pre-70 is allowable. Shit...modern v6's and four bangers would leave my flatty 51 ford for dust.........just permit it for the weekend, and say it has a 6cyl in it :)

5. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

yeah, apparently i can get an exemption from vicroads if i say i need it for work, so seeing as that I work for my dad in his hotrod shop i could say its a "promotional vehicle" for work and get an exemption. i won't have to worry about a permit as its already on full rego.

I'm just going to say its a little 283 instead of a 355 because on the outside they look the same.

6. TheLogLady

TheLogLady

Good work..sounds like a plan. Same as here in SA, OR if that causes any dramas on the day, go to a different DMV..put different plates on it,say you just bought it and get a 3 day permit for "vehicle relocation"....its the best $55 ever spent...:)
    oopsss..ive said too much....dont want them to catch onto my tricks...

7. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Nice build! What???? You gotta be 22 to drive a car with a v-8????? What's this law?

8. TheLogLady

TheLogLady

“Young drivers are over-represented in the Victorian road toll, making up 28 per cent of all driver fatalities,” Mr Mulder was quoted as saying. “A proportion of this can be attributed towards inexperienced drivers handling high performance vehicles.”

The inconsistencies in recommendations are indicative of controversial regulations struggling to keep pace with new technologies designed to save fuel and reduce carbon dioxide emissions.

VicRoads bans P-platers from all vehicles with an engine with eight or more cylinders, or one with a supercharger or turbocharger, as well as certain high performance six-cylinder models.

Go red-tape ..GO !:mad: its aimed at a "certain crowd"..but sadly ALL must suffer. Its the same with Ozzy Gun-Law. One person goes on a rampage and kills multiple people....who suffers ? the registered gun owners and they pay the cost........

9. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Wow! That's crazy. I guess every government has there stupid laws. Theres four bangers that would smoke most v-8's on top end speed.

10. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Yeah it's a bit shit. And if I get caught driving it without a proper exemption il loose my license for 6 months on the spot

11. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

just spoke to vicroads, its going to be pretty much impossible for me to legally drive this car until I'm 22.

12. Silverado85

Silverado85

Congrats on your car. You are doing a bang up job! It should drive really nice when you are done. Thanks for the front end post.

13. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Thanks buddy, no worries!

14. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Iv just had my wisdom teeth out the other day so havent been That active but got my shit together today and cut one wheel arch out and sat a wheel up in there to see what's up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Bre42

Bre42
    from Australia

looking good morgs. i just stumbled upon your thread. i should start a build thread for my pickup.

16. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Yeah you should.

Got heaps done on it today Despite being really busy.

Put my shortend steering rack back together

[​IMG]

Cut the other Wheel arch out

[​IMG]

Started making notch plates;

Template

[​IMG]

Plasma cutter guide (10mm smaller all round)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First plate was a little rough but il figured I fucked the settings on the plasma cutter so when I cut the other 3 out tomorrow they will be better

[​IMG]

17. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

* picture of steering rack didn't work

[​IMG]

18. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Commodore should work, why not, everyone uses them? You may have to rotate it back to lay pinion back and modify mounts if you have clearance issues? Does it foul on headers? Also P76 discs (DB Australia) will narrow your track. Rodtech sell kits with adapters for the calipers. You'll also need to modify your bump stops on lower arms. Borgeson now manufacture a steering universal to suit Commodore R&P.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  19. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

yeah i have leaned it back a little bit, should clear headers (once i modify the headers)

the only reason i shortened the commo rack so much (140mm) is because i also shortened my whole front end crossmember (80mm) and the pivot points on the rack have to line up with the pivot points on the lower control arms otherwise il end up with bump steer and whatnot

20. you're doin an awesome job on this one mate! looks real cool. whats the final plan for colour? or are you keepin it flat black?

21. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Ah not a hundred percent sure yet, either full gloss black or a dark marroon. But going to do a real smick gloss clear over base. Defiantly not going to leave it in flat black but I think it will be like that for a while haha

22. dark maroon sounds good:cool:. looks good as it is but theres way too many flat black cars around these days, but in saying that mine'll probly end up flat black (or flat something) for a while too.

23. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Yeah it's a good way to hide "imperfections" haha

24. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Today's efforts;

Got all the notch plates cut out and bolted them together and sanded them so they are all spot on. Drilled some holes to plug them to the chassis.

[​IMG]

Took them apart and de burred them

[​IMG]

Tacked on to the chassis rail

[​IMG]

And proceeded to cut out some more of my boot floor but ran out of cutting disks and it's 3pm on a Sunday so I'm not gonna get any from anywhere till tomorrow morning.

[​IMG]

So I'm just going to clean up the big mess I made of the workshop and go take a nap or something!

25. craigart

craigart

Nice work, Going to make some new tubs then I take it? :D

Look forward to seeing what you do with it.

26. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

yeah either new tubs or il re-use the stock tubs, just lift them up higher

27. ausbuick

ausbuick

love your work man

28. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Cheers dude

29. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Got a little bit further last night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Put in a few more hours on the notch after work today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]