Register now to get rid of these ads!

More vintage tin

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mramc1, Mar 22, 2007.

1. mramc1

mramc1

Well these are little late model for here, but here it what I found this week. I went to Rochester Institute of Technology for 6 years and now have worked there for almost 5 years, but never knew either of these existed. After a tip for a coworker I did some searching at lunch break and found two cars. The first is a real beat Vega and not very interesting. The second is cooler. It's a '63 Plymouth Sport Fury convertable. Unfortunately, a dozer had got the left side of it at some point or it looks like the top mechanism might have been salvagable. In the spring I'm going back after the 8 3/4" rearend. Who knows, maybe it was a 383 or 426 wedge car back in the day, but nobody home under the hood now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SapienKustom

SapienKustom
    from Merced, CA

wtf....happened to that thing??

3. Whats the chances that Mopar has an 8 3/4 rear end in it? Probably pretty good....

4. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Don't bother with the 8 3/4" rear from that '63 as it is the old style with the tapered axles, much like the old Fords. Just not a good rear to try to use. Mopar changed the design in 1965 to use the more common and indestructible 8 3/4". Use that one or a later model year and you will be golden.

5. Take it to Earl Schibe & get the 199.00 restore job - then take it to Jackson Barret.....

6. mramc1

mramc1

I know that the rear is the one with tapered axles. I am mainly interested in the pumpkin. Even a non SureGrip 8 3/4" diff is worth the trouble of digging it out of the dirt.

7. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

'64 was the first year for the regular style axles but the guts is the same,grab it 'cos they're getting harder to find and they're tuff.You won't get the diff center out while it's still out in the feild because those axles are a 'big joe hunt' to get off without a hub puller.
    If the front 'T' bars are still there see if you can pull them out too along with the steering box and K member.I have read where resto guys pay mega dollars for rust free K members.:):)

8. Fossil

Fossil

I'm an RIT grad ('81) too. Seems like every old car I saw up there (and some new ones too) was just a rust pile on wheels.They love the salt up there...

9. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

That Plymouth's last outing wasn't a fun one apparently.. sheesh.

10. when was the last time you saw a vega, even one in that condition?

11. I saw a Vega in that condition in Spring of 1973... the Illinois salt flats we call roads ate 'em up pretty fast around here.

12. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

man you talk about stripped! Looks like they even stole the license plate bolts ha ha

13. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Given what Bbody drop top Mopars from the sixties are bringin in
    any shape, I'd get it all. Hey, fuck China and the scrappers who feed
    them. Post what ya can't use to an old Mopar site, it just may cover
    the cost of your next project.

Swankey Devils C.c.

14. chaddilac

chaddilac

I don't think this one is one of the "Rust Free" versions??

15. plmczy

plmczy

I belive the center section is different also, something to do with the spacer in the middle for the axles. Don't forget to grab the steering box out of the vega if it's still there. later shawn

16. some one i know used those vega caps on his older chrysler wire wheels..
    the plymouth raggie ... a tad ruff...good bumper?
    is a good starter project no matter how it ends up it will look better
    paperdog