Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical More questions on Thermador Swamp Coolers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by beachblu, Sep 21, 2016.

1. beachblu

beachblu

I reviewed the very helpful thread begun in 2012 about the internals of subject swamp coolers. I'm trying to revive a cooler, but in past it was clearly modified to run with some variety of 6V motor. I'm trying to find out what the internal original spring looks like and how it was arranged, as well as how the original cord was fastened inside the tumbler/drum. Any photos or comments showing this detail would be greatly appreciated. The photo posted is subject cooler. Thanks.

2. squirrel

squirrel

[​IMG]

my brother overhauled the one we took on the edsel trip....you can see the long coil spring that wraps around the rod in the center. you turn the rod to increase tension, then tighten the nut to lock it in place. The cord runs through the screens/pad, tie a knot inside. pretty simple

LostBoy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. beachblu

beachblu

Thanks for quick reply. My unit has no spring and I can't tell where each end of the spring fastens in your photo.
    1. Does one end of the spring pass thru a hole in the rod? The other end of spring fastened to???

2. Where is the nut located? Is it at the end of the drum with the plate (rear end of swamp cooler)

4. squirrel

squirrel

The nut is at the back end, yes.

I don't know the details of the spring attaching points. My guess is that you could look for something that you could attach it to, and make it work. Might take some cleverness.

5. Franco51merc

Franco51merc

Some models came out with an electric fan in the 50's, so that even if you were at a stop the cooler would still work.
    -The spring attaches to the rod via a hole in the rod, the other end attaches to the end plate of the wire cage(also just looped though a hole).
    -The nut goes on the end of the rod that goes through the back plate

You don't truly need the spring and many early Thermadors didn't have springs in them. All you need is two pull ropes, one rolls the cage one way, pull the other one and it rolls the cage back.
    The cotton ropes were just stuck through the wire mesh and had a knot tied in the end so it wouldn't slip through.

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Here's my NOS 12v Thermador
    [​IMG]
    s-l1600.jpg

Franco51merc, LeoH and turboroadster like this.
  7. 59Viking

59Viking

Did you get your Thermador car cooler working? Needing help with mine!!