Register now to get rid of these ads!

History *More Print Magazines GONE* (12/06/2019)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malcolm, Dec 6, 2019.

1. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

The writing has certainly been on the wall for several years. No one can be surprised at this latest bit of news, however heartbreaking it might be.

I, like many others, have just about every magazine I ever bought or was given to me. That collection adds up to over 4500 magazines! I've thought about what to do with them, but I just can't throw them out. Until I croak, I guess I'll just hang onto them and browse through one or two to pass the time of day and remember when print was king.

So friggin' sad.

2. squirrel

squirrel

Reading the lack of support on this thread, it won't be long until Hot Rod goes away too, I bet.

3. And then there will be a thread complaining about it...

4. A few years ago I got rid of a lot of my collection but I took them to the veterans home, I received a very nice card in the mail thanking me for my donation, I was told the men there really enjoy reading the magazines.

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

^^^This. Yep...Hot Rod Deluxe is the only one I still bought, too.
    It saved me the trouble of going into my OWN HRM archives (every Hot Rod Magazine from #1, in 1948...up to 1964, when 'No Hot Rods Allowed' ass'n. seemed to outlaw the very cars that started it all on the track!)
    But I petered out on renewing the subscription after Nov. (last month) as some of the last issues were on the coffee table, still in their sealed plastic!
    Motor Trends Publishing kept sending emails, with NO 'unsubscribe me' at the bottom.
    My jaw was rigid...Finally got the ap located, (cleverly encrypted as something else)
    I am disenchanted with my previously admired 'Magazineers'.
    What will Brian Brennan do now?

6. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its always disheartening to learn of another magazine that is car or hot rod related, that falls prey to not being profitable to continue.
    There was a time if so inclined, you could carry a small pocket compass with you to find directions, now inside of a cell phone there is a compass and all of the words ever written since the recording of the written word started, but it will never replace the written word on paper.
    Back in the 50's, people actually bought brand new sets of Encyclopedia Britannica's , neither the salesman nor the customer had the slightest clue, that the day the books were printed, they were literally obsolete!

murphy 1.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. loudbang

loudbang

First of all I have not posted from the Peterson Archives. Better look again. I have used Getty and Hot Rod Archives. How would you suggest one takes article from paper magazines and post them here? I was reading all the paper Hot rod magazines since 1962 and that is what got me into this passion and subscribed to most of them since 1965.

I post from online sources for the people that were not here to know our history that is one of the few ways they can learn.

You seem to read and COMMENT on my posts frequently, what would you do if I stopped posting.

vtx1800, deathrowdave, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I haven’t bought any of those titles for a long time. For the same reason no one else hasn’t.

it’s not because we don’t like to hold it in our hands, it’s not because it’s easier online.

it’s because it’s 99 percent adds, and what remains is generally a fluff piece on what the adds are selling. Been that way for years and everybody knows it

Andamo, Tman, kjmmm and 4 others like this.
  9. I have no knowledge about running a successful magazine publishing business, nor do I profess too but doing business as usual will not work in today's world, I'm sure the advertising moneys that were the life blood of the monthly magazines have about dried up and used in different medias, ie, the internet.

Years ago I read Car Craft & Street Rodder, but my taste changed and these titles no longer appealed to me, and I suspect many of my fellow hambers feel the same way.

Rodders Journal made a bold move when they offered a lifetime membership, whether it was a strategy to raise cash and stay alive or a stroke of genius, they seem to be striving and continue to give readers what they want and the advertising is kept to a minimum.

Rod & Custom is the title that I wish had been able to hang on. HRP

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

11. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Haven't bought a magazine in years but have all my old ones. It was bound to happen as others have stated but is still sad to hear. It kind of reminds me of a while back I was talking to my thirty year old neighbour's son in law who has a band and who is into old record albums. I told him back in the seventies it was like walking into an art gallery when you went to a record store with all the cool album covers of the day on display. Another thing younger people will not experience.

12. trollst

trollst

Well, the only thing I read online is right here, I do it because we are like minded, a community of sorts. I buy and read old car-hot rod- street rod mags, because they are the same, a part of the car community. Think Brennan is gonna do another cross country in a roadster epic? Maybe, but it'll be a one hour discovery trip that I can watch and not be part of, kinda like the chopper shows that came and went. I like to do what the younger generation doesn't.....read print, whether it be the local paper or my favourite magazine, I like the ads, they're how I keep track of new products, how I reference my memory as to whats available. I can't wait till the younger set rediscovers print like they have with vinyl records, or milk in glass bottles, or actual butchers, groceries in brown paper bags, real coffee in real cups, not paper cups, see, I'm stuck in my ways. I don't drink much beer, but my local liquor store tells me that bottled beer will soon be gone, cans are where its at. This is not a good thing for us, the bean counters are slowly taking control, telling us what we'll like. Whats a kindle anyway?

13. It looks like my Motor Trend will keep coming....I have no idea who subscribed for me. Not much hot rod stuff in it. Ok, no hot rod stuff in it. I'll miss HR deluxe fo sho.

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. Does anyone remember Rodder's World, I subscribed to that magazine and I believe they only published 3 issues. HRP

15. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Guy's I have said before but many car guy's did not want to hear it.
    The times are changing and so are peoples interests.

I happen to like old cars and old style drag racing from the 60's but the average teenager today does not seem to care about the exact same things!
    I get it and I also understand it but that still does not mean I like it!

Good News it's not just us.
    Look at the N.H.R.A., NASCAR, Golf, Football and sports in general and most of them have lost fans and followers.

My business is selling old racing decals and I have seen the decline first hand in my business because each year the guy's who remember the 60's are passing on and there are less of them left.

Seeing the old magazines going out of business is heart breaking but once again peoples interest are changing with each passing year.

Just my opinion. Jimbo

OLSKOOL57, weps and BamaMav like this.
  16. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Motortrend for the sporty crowd...Fourwheeler for the off-roaders and HOT ROD for us.
    Getting back to the basics really.
    The work load and overhead is down now so put some effort into making each truly worthwhile to purchase (including interesting content you DON'T post to the online versions) and hopefully they can keep the wolf from the door. This is the last chance...

Amazing how good mags were back in the 50's, 60's and 70's, but something went astray.
    I don't believe it was all the doing of the internet.

dirty old man, OLSKOOL57 and Tim like this.
  17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

no more Hot Rod Deluxe. :( I hope some of these now out of work HOT ROD journalists can somehow bring it back.

saltracer219, warbird1 and Deuces like this.
  18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I can't believe someone would toss out a 50 year magazine pile:eek: probably tossed $1,000.00 minimum... if not for you then someone else. I sold my collection which started in '72 on ebay. I had one box of 50's and 60's that I got over 400 bucks for.

19. I'm a little slow.........where exactly is this list?........haven't bought Street Rodder for over 20 years, same with Hot Rod Magazine tho' I have every HR Deluxe which I will miss, still wish Rodders Digest and Rod & Custom were printed.....looks like I'll have to ensure my Luddites membership is good................lol...........andyd

Hamtown Al and warbird1 like this.
  20. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Stogy likes this.
  21. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I haven't bought a magazine in well over 10 years probably longer. About as long as my last CD purchase. I remember records, 8tracks, tapes, CDs news papers, black&white TV and pay phones. I don't miss any of them. I won't miss magazines either.

senginc likes this.
  22. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

My grandfather got me a subscription to Hot Rod and Rod & Custom when I was about 13, and after he died when I was 18 I kept both up until R&C went away. I’ll keep going with Hot Rod until they disappear as well. It’s a sad world we live in when folk will spend $8 on a coffee that’s gone on an hour and won’t spend $6 on a magazine they could keep forever

23. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Don't be surprised if you start getting charged for Web Content.
    I'm NOT speaking for the HAMB so don't go getting your panties in a bunch.

The cat was out of the bag for the FIRST Websites with FREE content on the web to take that print business away.
    Now that print is going away - sooner or later to pay the bills - if you want good web car shit - pony up.
    For those of you who have never dealt with making a web site go and all that it is - it is a LOT more $ than you can imagine.

Ryan, some years back shared with me the sheer monthly expense ( which I won't share ) but lets just say my response to him was no shit...woaaaa.

Stuff like the Alliance membership which you benefit from - plus get all this good HAMB Hoodlum info / data - also helps with Ryan plus Merchandise sales helps a lot.

PLUS - my ridiculously expensive Moderator paycheck - pony up fellas.

My nose isn't brown on this with Ryan - I deal with Corporate Business green $ everyday.

Tman, loudbang, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  24. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I subscribed to Street Rodder for years, stopped about 10 years ago because the cars they featured didn’t fit my likes. About 3 months ago I picked up a copy at a news stand, liked it and subscribed again. Now it will be gone forever.

25. Hang on to your old magazine collections. Once this interweb thingie fad is gone, they will be worth their weight in gold....:rolleyes:

Driver50x and bchctybob like this.
  26. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

You are so damn right Cob.

and today,... a part of Automotive History died.

poss51kustom, loudbang, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  27. goldmountain

goldmountain

Maybe it is time I resubscribe to Canadian Hot Rods.

28. alchemy

alchemy

I own every single issue of Street Rodder. My last one (ironically) just arrived in the mailbox today. I also own every single issue of R&C. And every issue of Hot Rod up to about 1977, only missing a few of the very fir$t i$$ues.

Only mags I still subscribe to are The Rodder's Journal and Hop Up. I pray they are able to continue.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Stogy, Tim and Malcolm like this.
  29. Fordors

Fordors

For one who has read Hot Rod since 1962 I would expect that you would know Robert Peterson started Hot Rod so consequently the Peterson and Hot Rod Archives are one and the same. If it came from HR it came from Peterson’s photography staff. Some of the archival photos you have posted also have text connected to them and for the most part I believe it to be verbatim- just the way is was written BITD.
    Yes, I do look at the photos you post and quite often I will offer something explanatory. Have I ever been critical? I suppose so but a review of my replies to your posts is likely 99%+ complimentary, or to provide some background information, a name, technical facts, or an identification on a car or its components.
    If I have offended you in some way don’t feel you have to stop posting on my accord, I will not darken your skies again.

dirty old man and Blue One like this.
  30. I read this thread and commented on it while at work.
    I got home this evening and checked the mail and...
    20191206_192731.jpg

dan31, RICH B, loudbang and 2 others like this.