Register now to get rid of these ads!

History *More Print Magazines GONE* (12/06/2019)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malcolm, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Sad to see this happening to more print magazines.

2019-12-06_12-25-04.jpg

2. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

The writing was on the wall but it still hurts....

3. Wow...hate to see this. I still have years of magazines from back when that was the main way to learn about this stuff.

dirty old man and loudbang like this.
  4. williebill

williebill

A lot of us spend a lot of time on the HAMB, and I haven't regularly bought SR in years, but I hate this. I don't curl up in bed with my laptop, or sit in the bathroom with it, either. But since my magazine collection starts with 1950 Hot Rod, and all the early R&C, I won't run out of stuff to read. Hell, whether any youngsters agree or not, my print collection is pretty damn valuable to me.

5. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

I don,t read any of those magazines,but it still sucks

j3harleys, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I recently took my 50 year collection of car magazines to the recycler, half a pickup load.
    I had been contemplating it for a couple of years, boy was that a tough decision to make.
    I do have to admit, once it was done it felt good, but also felt like I had abandoned a major component of my prior life.

j3harleys, KoolKat-57, HSF and 9 others like this.
  7. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I’m 32 and I wonder if I’m the last generation who grew up loving print magazines. In high school we read Car Craft religiously, and I still buy all four of those titles on a regular basis. Sad to see so many magazines go, there is nothing like holding one in your hands

8. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I've subscribed to Street Rodder since about 1985. And kept them ALL. I figured some day I could sell the entire collection. I was wrong. A few weeks ago I started going through them, picked out the ones I wanted, gave away or tossed the rest. I still like print, so makes me a little blue.

dirty old man and loudbang like this.
  9. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Has anyone looked at those mags lately. Specifically HotRod. The mag was honestly 80% ads. The other "content" articles were 99% paid for fluff piece infomercials for the ad buyers. Reminds me of Tom Sawyer and Huck Fin whitewashing the fence.

10. Very Sad...I love printed media...I cherish my collection of 50-60’s Kustom Car , and Hot Rod magazines..encompasses everything from Custom Rodder to Super Stock and Drag Illustrated...
    I still love my Rodders Journal and Kustom Illustrated. I was a big fan of Traditional Rod and Kulture, loved the mix of feature cars, everything from killer hot rods, Kustoms, and 50’s-70’s drag / street cars..

11. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I just recently received my last copy of HotRod in 2015 I was given a four year subscription renewal to the magazine for my birthday and I must admit that I go months with out reading the magazine, it's old news. Everything in print has been on the internet for two or three months so theres not much need for it. I hope there not waighting on my subscription to pay the light bill because it would be dark at HotRod also.

loudbang likes this.
  12. Welp, that sucks. I preferred Street Rodder to Hot Rod. the feature cars in SR were more in line with my taste.
    Guess I will have to re-up my Hop Up.
    Chappy

13. Fordors

Fordors

People texting while walking and stepping right into a pole on the sidewalk, only getting their news or pleasure reading on their iPhone or computer, relying on sources that don’t practice fact checking, and more all point to a society that doesn’t manage it’s time as it used to.
    Everybody needs to slow down. Many can’t be bothered to go to the store anymore, they shop online. Most don’t read a book, unless of course they can get it on their tablet. Shop for groceries?, what for we can text it in and they will deliver them. Read a newspaper? What’s that?
    I guess they will never know what it is like to easily refer back to an old magazine or book as a refresher. I found it humorous how some here thought @loudbang was “reporting” on the photos he posts from the Peterson Archives. My humor was not directed at @loudbang but rather at the number of HAMBers that have no clue about the old days of their hobby. Maybe its because I come from a different era, hell, I’ll read a cereal box at breakfast if there is nothing else around. If you really want to be invested in your hobby then learn as much as you can about it, support what print is left. People will pay for the latest IPA brew, or an overpriced cup of coffee, yet they won’t subscribe to a magazine.
    To quote Bob Dylan- “The times they are a-changin’”. But maybe not always for the better.

14. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Maybe the magazines have done it to themselves, look at the amount of content Hotrod has online.

loudbang likes this.
  15. redo32

redo32

Denny, I don't know how you did that. I guess I realize I'm a hoarder, but not yet willing to give up what I have been collecting since 1959. I'm complete back thru 1949 and a few 1948, my thriftiness would not allow me to buy the first issues at what they were bringing. A couple of years ago I cleaned a wall in the garage and put up shelves to display and access the mags. I have the first 30 years in Hot Rod binders and just last week I spent a few hours sorting thru the stacks of the last 40 years to put them in cheap library sleeves. Still have a ways to go, but I can turn the heater on and amuse myself all winter, when I should be working on multiple car projects. I have been a member of NSRA since the late 70's and a lifetime member for decades, so I have all those mags too. Not to mention Rod & Custom, Rod Action and other Tex Smith publications, hundreds of other misc, Street Rod, most of Street Rodder. And I can't not mention a lifetime complete Rodders Journal.
    I got a good deal on my Hot Rod subscription last summer, $20 for 3 years and found a deal on Street Rodder as I thought their price of $29 per year was too much. I realized last month that I had not received the last couple of issues and called to straighten it out. They showed a nonpayment so I had to go thru my checking account to find the payment. I haven't received those issues so now I guess I have to call to get internet access for what they still owe me.
    Since retiring I have been at least thinking of thinning the herd and getting down to just a couple of projects and taking a lot of stuff to swap meets, but I always do lousey. The last time I was at Portland I got pennies on the dollar, paid the hotel bill and came home with very little $. I could have thrown it all in the dumpster and saved myself the miserable week end in the rain. .

16. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Crap, I just looked at the list and Hot Rod Deluxe is on there. That was the only print magazine I was still getting.

mctim64, j3harleys, IronFord and 8 others like this.
  17. kenmo

kenmo

So sad. Love printed media the best....

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I renewed Custom Rodder for 3 years - Got cancelled and added to my Street Rodder subscription.
    I renewed Rod & Custom for 3 years - Got cancelled and added to my Street Rodder subscription.
    I risked a year of Roadkill magazine - Got cancelled - I think it got added to my Street Rodder subscription.
    And the good news is Street Rodder will stop arriving in my mail box.

19. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Someone besides me may actually want all those old mags Ive saved for years now.:eek:

20. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

That decision is a puzzler as the photos and copy were paid for 40 years ago. That said, after reading the FOLIO story on line, it’s apparent that the Discovery Channel had more to do with the shutdown than any other factors.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    loudbang and catdad49 like this.
  21. catdad49

catdad49

^And Still Expensive to purchase!^

loudbang likes this.
  22. williebill

williebill

My local Books a Million rearranged a few months ago, made the magazine section much smaller than before.
    Fordors is right on the money. I read a lot of books, and won't do the kindle thing, or whatever it's called.
    Opening an old box of car mags from the 50s or 60s, sitting in a comfortable chair, and breathing in that unmistakable smell is the closest thing to a time machine that exists in this world.

Pufff, 550Coupe, partsdawg and 11 others like this.
  23. 2 years left on my Street Rodder subscription. I'm sure the refund check is in the mail.:rolleyes:

24. alchemy

alchemy

When Hot Rod magazines are not printed, only Hot Rodders will read them.

25. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

I remember thinking the goal was to get your car featured in a magazine, but bragging "that your car is on the internet" just doesn't sound as cool as saying "your car got some ink this month"
    No reason to power park anymore! LOL

Boneyard51, weps, Mr48chev and 5 others like this.
  26. alchemy

alchemy

"your car got some Insta this month"

J.Ukrop, stanlow69, Roadsir and 3 others like this.
  27. Deuces

Deuces

28. catdad49

catdad49

Even my wife smiled when I read this out loud!

29. Dammit... Hot Rod Deluxe; the only one I still bought.

30. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

The National Woodie Club just sent out a questionnaire asking the members if they would like the monthly magazine to be available on line or a reduced, monthly, paper issue. It costs a heck of a lot of money to publish the magazines and with dwindling memberships across the board it's only a matter of time. As others have mentioned, I like sitting back and reading a paper magazine.

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.