Register now to get rid of these ads!

Moparsled's chassis build thread

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by moparsled, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Got a little done this weekend.

Firewall cut to nominal size

good start on the clutch linkage- Z bar installed, release arm and linkage started

shifter Z bar started and installed

and, all day today I worked on the battery box! fabbed, mounted, cable routing established. The box is functionally done, the cables are 1/2 done, can't finish them until I take the "jig" down, as it interferes with the cutoff switch.

I left my camera at the shop, so, pictures tomorrow.

Still hunting for suitable water overflow can and fuel tank. These two and a tail light and all the components of the rear half are in place.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  2. ThingyM

ThingyM

Hey Mopar... For your catch can, Try a small empty fire ext. bottle.. they are aluminum and work good.. Thats what I used..

3. DANG IT!!!

didn't get near as much done this weekend as I had hoped. I was trying to get the rear end built and get a "roller", but hit a snag.

I'm putting '54 Ford station wagon axles in a '37-'40 Ford "banjo" rear, like this:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151&highlight=modern+axles

but cutting the spiders instead of the carrier and ring, like this:

homepage.mac.com/s_kraemer

A friend who used to do these conversions back in the day for the hillclimbers is helping. I got my spiders back from him last week, tried to put the carrier together today. NO JOY!! the spiders and side gears don't mesh properly. So, the rear is on hold until I get the gears sorted.

On the up side, new helmet and neck brace should be here soon, so I can continue on with the cockpit build.

4. nexxussian

nexxussian

'Sled, good to hear of progress and thanks for the link to the tech archive.

Is there something missing from the link to 'homepage'? It doesn't work for me, if I cut 'n paste it into the address bar it goes to the Mac site, with 'tech articles' being one of the link options (with a pic of a straight axle and shiny finned drums with the title 'Buick drums, Lincoln brakes and Ford spindles').

When I select that it tells me (in 4 different languages :D gaaahhhhllee [in my best 'gomer']) that it can't find that homepage and to check the spelling of the link and try again.:confused:

Here's where the cut 'n paste took me.

http://homepage.mac.com/s_kraemer/Steve/Menu8.html

It all sounds neat regardless, I'd love to see it.

5. cut and paste the link, then, at the top of the page click the "tech articles" tab. You should be able to enlarge the thubnails from there.

6. nexxussian

nexxussian

7. I've had to slow down on my build, Mokan is no longer on the roster for this year. Progress hasn't stopped completely though.

got the tail light "restored" and working. It's from a White bus that served duty as a Colorado Springs city bus many moons ago. The mount is roughed in, but useable for now.

got all the wiring sorted, and hooked at one end. When more is done on the rest, the wiring can be strung and finished. All the wire is color coded and labeled leftovers from street rod wiring kits. Someday I'll replace it all with cloth-braided, but this stuff is free.

got the canteen overflow hung and plumbed

vintage Briggs and Stratton fuel tank waits its turn for installation

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  8. bobw

bobw

Seems like it's all the little things that take so much time, and a bit of money too.
    I admire the way you are being true to the history of early rails.

9. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

Boy howdy.... :eek:

10. despite my lack of attention to the car, it has marched on, seemingly without me. The week or two before the drags a whole bench full of "work to do" showed up- the carbs came home from Tennessee, the input shaft for the Lasalle came home from Denver, and the clutch parts all came home from the local clutch builder. Dif parts also made it before that week was out. Alas, the output shaft for the Lasalle didn't make it in time for the drags, it showed up yesterday.

I put the carbs on, discovered my linkage wasn't right, so I've been working on a replacement.

I put the front of the trans together to start setting up the clutch. The pressure plate isn't going to work, so I have to go "back to the drawing board" on that one. Not much room inside a Chevy bellhousing when using the flathead six crank and flywheel!

work, work, work!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  11. Hudsonator

Hudsonator
    from Tennessee

Hang in there compadre.

We'll just consider the Ford V8's as being granted a reprieve.

200 ponies for 2010.

Hud

12. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

It's coming together real nice. I can't wait to see her done. This car is gonna be badass.

13. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Cory, it was great finally meeting you today!

Dude, I don't know how I missed this thread. This is one super cool build. I can't wait to see this done, as I love the direction you are going with this.

14. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

too cool! All of the threads associated with this build are interesting and that flathead six Mopar sounds awesome on the dyno!

15. This isn't an update, and I don't have any progress to report yet, but I wanted to note that after reading a thread over on the main board that I have identified my spindle mount front wheels as having 30's Harley VL hubs. Wheels constructed in the same manner and size, and using the same tire size, were used by Lyndwood Welding on their infamous diggers.

I thought that was interesting history to tie to my build.

16. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Cory, any updates?

17. NOTHIN'!!!
    on the HA/GR at least. Been unemployed since New Years, so I've been cleaning the spares out of the garage, and working on stuff that when finished, will be for sale. Tax refund coming soon, I hope to pilfer some of that $$ to either get the engine back together, or to complete the rear end, trans, clutch.

18. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Any prospects? You could always go roughneckin! I know this guy.....

19. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

20. no, unfortunately this project has been mothballed indefinitely