Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mopar water pump shaft seal replacement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by altraditional, Oct 26, 2015.

1. altraditional

altraditional
    from Estland

Case is, I have the 90s Magnum water pump modified for 360 LA, (rad. hose tube in different location, some other grindings, welds) and it started leaking from the hole. So it is "one of a kind" and I want to repair the pump, not to replace it.

Is it possible to replace the seal, or all of the moving parts, shaft, bearings, etc? Where can I get the seal and parts?

2. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

A job that requires a shop press and a few hand made press tools. I have done several impossible to replace pumps. Inside most modern pumps is a double roller sealed bearing and a spring loaded seal and seat. Press off the pulley hub (after marking its place on the shaft). Remove rear plate, support the pump around the rear plate attach holes. I use a 2" thick large 1/4" steel circle. Carefully press shaft/bearing/seal assembly out of the housing. Assembly is the reverse..

Parts can be the biggest problem/expense these guys have em..http://www.kelloggautomotive.com/

3. squirrel

squirrel

I had Kellogg rebuild a 1960s aluminum water pump for me...they did a good job. If you don't want the fun of learning a new trade.

4. daliant

daliant

Buy a cheapo parts store reman pump and just cannibalize it for the seals and bearings.

F&J likes this.