Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical MoPar steering question

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by rocknrolldaddy, Jun 9, 2014.

1. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

My '54 Dodge Royal has hung in there, needing steering help for 6 years. I've never been able to locate a power steering kit for the power steering unit. I picked up a steering box rebuild kit from Bernbaum's/oldmoparts. Steering was really scary on the test drive. Tried to adjust the steering at the steering box, to find out, its as tight as it's going to get. There's nothing else to adjust. I turn the steering wheel about a quarter of the way before it responds at the wheels.

I would like to replace the steering box with something a little more common, and of course reasonably priced. But I don't even know where to start. I'm doing it in my garage so something simple would be appropriate. Suggestions?

2. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Maybe this will help:

If you don't have the pitman arm on exactly right, and the tierods adjusted right, you can never get the slop out. If you tighten the sector adjustment too much it'll get tight somewhere off-center, but still be sloppy on center..

3. greybeard360

greybeard360

Best bet would be to find a rebuilder to do the box. They generaly will have some parts to replace your worn parts with to tighten it up. Rock Auto shows they have one listed.... they do have to rebuild your box though.

4. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

I wish that was the case, ULU. The slop is on the shaft that the pitman arm mounts to. I think the worm and roller tooth on the shaft are worn.

5. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

Re-builders are hard to find now a days. Mechanics today just replace the part. I noticed rockauto offers the service but, at $220 + shipping, I'm hoping to find a cheaper route.

6. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

That's too bad. The worm & sector are really expensive parts to begin with, and nowadays they'll be outrageous. I'd be surprised if anyone will do what you need for $220. It's going to be at least twice that for new parts. If good used parts were available, I'd go there.

My Plymouth box came from a bent, rusty junker, which got junked at low mileage. The internals were perfect. It was $100, but that was 25 years ago! It'd be tough to find one at all nowadays.

But steering is the last thing (except brakes) you should skimp on. Be safe daddy.

7. CoalHillKustomz

CoalHillKustomz

I have a 1953 Chrysler Windsor that has power steering.. I'm going the Gasser route with the car.. If the steering box will work on your car let me know.. I'd sell it for $150... I drove the car a few times.. Seemed to steer just fine

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. 72*birdman

72*birdman
    from Colorado