Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mopar mini starter and wiring questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DanBabb, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Making progress on my hemi and getting close to the first start.

When I bought the adapter from Wilcap, I also bought the "late model Chrysler mini-starter" from them.

I'm using a Rebel Wire harness.

Got a few questions.

Do I need to use a starter relay, or just wire up directly to the starter? I thought I read that with Fords, you use the starter relay, but with Mopar, just right to the starter.

Without a relay, I run the battery to the thicker lug and my ignition start wire to the smaller post..right?

The two posts on the starter for the wires (different sized lugs)...what are the nut sizes I need? The starter is new, but didn't come with nuts for those posts.

Do I need to ground the starter to the frame, or just make sure the engine has a good ground strap? The starter is mounted to the aluminum Wilcap adapter.

2. i'm not familiar with your starter , is there a solenoid on it? picture?

3. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Dan, without knowing too much about your project or what engine you're running, I'm going to assume you're using the 99/00 Dakota starter. If so, you don't need the relay, just hook it directly to the switch. The thick cable obviously goes to the battery. If memory serves me correctly, it's a 3/8-16 thread for the terminal, if not, it's a 5/16 coarse. I can't quite remember, though i will say it was not metric. If you're installing the starter on a B/RB engine, you'll need to trim the battery terminal post on the solenoid about 3/8" so as to not short it on the block. You don't need to hook it up to a ground, just make sure the engine is properly grounded. The starter is case grounded.

Hope that helped

4. kisam

kisam

Dan,
    I second what Jo said. Big one is battery, small one is to the ignition switch. I ran a triangle ground. engine to frame, frame to body, and body to engine. Good luck on your startup!