Register now to get rid of these ads!

mopar help again...360 heads on a 318

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by makgreens, Aug 30, 2010.

1. MikePA

MikePA

I didn't realize the format would compress everything the way it did. It's actually good material although hard to read this way........

2. makgreens

makgreens

i think im just gonna port the exhaust outs for the headers to match and shave the heads and use em...hopefully itll all work ha

3. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Damn, MikePA, that's the longest paragraph I've ever seen on this forum.

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yeah, but the way he writes is just like he's talkin' to ya! I like 318s, have used 'em a lot; but this in-depth study has shown there is hidden horsepower just for the taking!
    Thanks for the conversation, MikePA! Great volumes of usable knowkedge here...

5. MikePA

MikePA

Thanks, but as I said, I lifted it from the Allpar site. I wrote thefirst couple sentances and the rest is a few other people but I thought it was great info when I found it. Don't want to take credit for something I didn't write.

6. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

the only non cast crank 318 is a 1960/70s truck crank called the 318 - 3

but still internally balanced like a 273/340 unlike an externally balanced 360

7. I'm with Dolmetsch---

ditch the 360 heads and get the '87 to '91 "swirl port" 318 heads. Same technology Chev used a decade later on the Vortec. The "heart shaped" combustion chamber is far superior to the older 318 or 360 chamber, and the head has appropriate sized chamber and port volumes for the smaller displacement. Doing a bit of work to them will yield far greater gains than comparable work on the 360 head.

"bang for the buck" will be WAY better with the "swirl port" heads

I remember the Hot Rod Magazine article from the late 80's referenced-- 331 horsepower in an overall very mild package. I used to have a copy around here somewhere- I'll see if I can dig it up.

8. I got a nice complete 318 sittin here i'll make you a deal on! i sent ya a pm.