Register now to get rid of these ads!

MOPAR GURUS help the new kid please!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mackster, Feb 14, 2007.

1. mackster

mackster

I have a 1953 desoto powermaster with a missing steeringbox, I have installed an alternator instead of the old generator that was also missing. So the car starts except there is no steering box! I am getting desperate so I was looking to see what other steering box I can use. I tought about a corvair, I feel it may be too small for such a big car....What do you all think? any leads? thnxz in advance MKSTR!:D

2. mackster

mackster

Here is one picture to inspire you..:cool:

Attached Files:

3. mackster

mackster

I did that and only one person called back saying she does no thave anything left.
    Yeah, it is crazy how little parts are available for this car. OOH well, I will have to make something fit I guess.

4. OK question me an answer. the car is a cross steer or has a drag link? its a rear steer and not a front steer right?

Probably any number of 50s MOPAR boxes can either be adapted or bolt right in. That would include plymouth, chrysler, dodge.

5. mackster

mackster

This was a power steering box. I would prefer to retro fit a manula steering box it is a drag link. The pit man arm moves front to back of the car. the 55 I believe was the first that came with the cross steer.
    HELP!:eek:

6. mackster

mackster

Attached Files:

7. OK if you don't find a MOPAR box look at an F1 ford plentiful and cheap. Also a mustang box will also probably work.

Someone was parting out an early 50s Chrysler product in the classifieds in the last week or so. I'd say try a search but someone said that the search function isn't working.

8. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

9. captden

captden

i own 2 1954 chryslers and to the best of my knowledge a steering box from that year chrysler or a 53 will fit right into your car. i am not parting mine, but a few phone calls to the yards out west you find in hemmings will get you what you want. shop around for price but in the end pick who you like and not only on the price. there is one in south dakota, can't remember the name, but when i needed a brake drum they were the most informative and cooperative but not the lowest price. i bought from them and got a real quality part. i don't think plymouth or dodge will fit, but the yard guys will know. my chryslers are hard to find parts for but keep looking all over and something will pop up. try the p15-d24 website, those guys know alot about everything. dennis

10. I got a rear and some other parts for one of my Plymouths from Moore's Auto Salvage in Rapid City, South Dakota. You can find them on the web. They were good to do business with.

11. mackster

mackster

That's what I need to know! thanks for all your help Porknbeaner, Captden and BlacktopP-15 coupe!....

12. mackster

mackster

ABE LUGO, You are friggin smarterst! I did what you suggested and domeone did have exactly what I needed to get this car on the road. Thanks ALL for your HELP!:cool: MKSTR!