Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mopar Flatheads... Carter BB1 the best carb?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kojack, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Hey folks! I'm helping out a neighbor get his car together... I guess he's been letting this thing sit for about 10 years and ever finished it. He had a car cover over it, and once I pull it off... I realized this guy got to about 95 percent done then stopped. It's a 41 Dodge Sedan with new paint, rebuilt motor, 12 volt conversion, all new parts on the top end, brand new tires, undercarridge all cleaned and painted... a TON had been done to this car and he just didn't know anything about cars and he got stuck on the carberator.

It had a mismatched Carter b&b on it... the base doesn't match the top, and instead of spraying it dumps fuel down the throat.

Should I help him hunt down another one of these suckers, or other folks that have these motors have a better preferance for carbs for this motor? He's got money to play with, so I was suggesting getting a two barrel adaptor and tossing a brand new Stromberg two barrel on it... but I thought I'd get some thoughts first.

Thanks!

2. I'd suggest asking this question over on the P15-D24 forum, they'll tell you straight away.

My 218 flat 6 ran fine on the single barrel Carter and was perfectly useable but is lots more fun with 2x 94's now!

3. Oooh... okay, i'll check that out!

It's actually a '40... so I think it's the 217 and I don't know if they make any hop up parts for it... boo.

4. So we ordered a brand new 9 super 7 and it's on the way the right Now. What adaptor did you use to bolt the 3 bolt carb on? All I see is a mister gasket one but it's a four bolt. Cc

5. I bought a dual intake for mine from Earl Edgerton at Edgyspeedshop and that comes ready to bolt 94's and 97's to with the 3 bolt pattern so I don't know about a standard adaptor.

We have got adaptors to run 3 bolt carbs for an Offy dual intake on our 235 Chevy which came from Speedway, would need to check the bolt spacing and see if they are anywhere near, will try and get some measurements tomorrow for you.

6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Hi,

I have a '42 fargo and have a dual intake from some post war company in LA (Can't remember the name right now). How did you hook up the throttle assembly to your dual carb set-up?

7. The 94's I run on the Edgy intake face in a different direction to the standard carter carbs that would run on most dual intakes.
    I ended up cutting the throttle bar which runs across the top of the bellhousing and welding it back together after turning the arm 180 degrees, that meant the system pulled instead of pushed when pressing the throttle. After that it was a case of a link bar between carbs so they operate together.

Really quite simple in the end but it works and I didn't want linkages and stuff on top of my cylinder head.

Hope that helps. Tom.

8. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Thanks Tom. I think I can picture it but a pic would be great if possible. The carbs on my dual intake sit 90 degrees off the standard mpounting position. I was thinking of milling an adapter to rotate them so they would sit as normal and then working out the linkage. However, your way sounds interesting.

9. carbking

carbking

Since you have already decided to put on a two-barrel, the following may be moot; but you may find it interesting.

The really easy and inexpensive way to dramatically improve both power and economy on those old Plymouth 218's is to simply bolt on a Carter W-1 built for Chevrolet. Plymouth actually did this in 1947 when the plant producing the BBR carb went on strike. The Chevrolet carb with no other changes is good for 5~10 percent increase in horsepower, and 20~30 percent increase in fuel economy. The W-1 used as factory equipment by Plymouth was the Carter 574s.

During this time period, Carter offered 3 different levels of one-barrel carburetor:

(A) BBR series - cheap, worked, but never worked well
    (B) W series - inbetween price, worked excellent, but manual choke and power circuit
    (C) WA series - most expensive, worked a tiny bit better than the W, with auto choke and vacuum power circuit

Of course, simply bolting on a different one-barrel is not as "cool" as putting on duals, but if no other mods are made to the engine; it would probably function better.

Jon.

10. Bob Riding

Bob Riding
    from Central CA

Great tip! Anyone stock the 574s ( or W1s), for us Plymouth flathead guys, or do you just do the eBay way?

11. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

I used a Weber 32/36 progressive two barrel with great success on a Mopar flathead. Solves lots of old carb problems such as hot start. The progressive 2 barrel design give the flathead better low end torque on the primary which helps pull the 2-3 wide gear spread. No hassle with the vacuum for the distributor and great gas mileage.

12. carbking

carbking

Since the BBR carb is so horribly inefficient when compared to the W-1, it is a larger size. The W-1 574s has a center to center on the mounting studs of 2 11/16 inches, whereas the BBR carb from the mid 1940's would be 2 15/16 center to center. Plymouth supplied a special manifold (maybe the earlier pre-1940 manifold???) for the W-1.

Easy to find these carburetors.

Jon.

13. hkestes

hkestes

Sure are hop up parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you want a little more Umph out of the flathead try to find a 230 out of 50's Plymouth or Dodge. I recently made the change which was a bolt in and the performance difference is definitely noticeable. Drove the 218 as my daily for 4 years in Dallas and it did just fine but the 230 was an improvement.

You need to check out the P15-D24 Site

Once there you will find a ton of info on the Mopar flatheads. Also search for "Olddaddy" he sells a pretty much bolt on disc brake kit for the old Mopars as well as a front shock relocation kit. The old Plymouth has a good front suspension once the shocks are relocated.

For Speed Parts

You can look at Edgy Speed Shop for finned aluminum head, intake and reground cams

Langdon's Stovebolt Eng Co for intake, cast iron headers and HEI distributor

Transmission

Another thing you will want to look for is an Overdrive Transmission. There are several options a stock Borg Warner R10 OD from a mid to late 50's Plymouth or Dodge, a T5 from an S10 or some of the later Mopar 5 speeds.

Paul Curtis for an adaptor to mount a T5 5 speed behind the flathead

Quality Engineered Components for the late model Mopar 5 speeds or automatic behind the flathead.

The R10 is a bolt in if you have the standard 3 speed now. All you would have to do is add a couple wires to control the Solenoid / Govenor.

Alternatives for the OD transmission is a rearend swap to an 8 3/4 from a late 60's - early 70's Mopar B Body or a 89-90 Dakota rear with something like a 3.55 gear. Your stock rear is either a 3.90 or a 4.10 so the taller gear will help on the highway. Once you relocate the spring perches this is pretty much a bolt in.

For Standard Rebuild Parts

Terrill Machine 254-893-2610 (TX)

Vintage Power Wagons

Egge Machine

Roberts Motor Parts

Andy Bernbaum

Some Other Interesting Reading

Blueskies 50 Plymouth Build

Interesting Threads

Hot rodded Mopar flathead 6's here?

Flat head 6's lets see them

218 Performance bolt ons?