Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mopar flathead 6 -57

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Szebban, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Szebban

Szebban
    from Sweden

Hi!

I got some questions for you guys. I found a 1957 230 flathead 6 to put in my dodge kingsway -51 that got original engine and transmission . The new one got a 2 speed power flite but i want to stay with my 3 on the tree. Will my old gearbox fitt bolton to this newer engine ? And its 12v but i run 6v and want to stay with that. Can i just move the stuff from the old engine to the newer one?

2. 27troadster

27troadster

yep...those engines are externally the same from '35 through the end of production in the 70's? (they were used in industrial applications, fork lifts and such, long after they stopped being produced for cars)

For Plymouth at least, the only ones that are different are the '34 models - they look the same as the newer ones, but not too many things will bolt on to them from the '35 and up engines.

Not sure if you need to switch out the starter, try the 12v one on 6v and see if it works. Or, better yet upgrade the car to 12V. I used a generator from a '61 Ford, it is identical on the outside to the early Plymouth 6V generators and bolts right in, I'd image the same is true for Dodge. You have seal beams right? so no problem there, you will need to use a resistor on the fuel gage though. They use to have these adjustable wire wound rheostats that were specifically designed for this purpose, not sure where to get them though.

Specifically for your question: the bell housing to engine flange / bolt pattern is the same and the starters will swap.

there's lots of good info here:
    http://www.allpar.com/mopar/flat.html

Kipp

3. Szebban

Szebban
    from Sweden

Thanks for the good answer! Then i Will go for that engine. Thanks again!

Yeah i got most of The stuff for a 12v convert, It Will be done later.

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

6v and 12v use different starter gearing. You must use 6v starter with its original flywheel and 12v starter with original 12v type flywheel.

1957 will be 12v. When you go to look at the engine measure the length of the cylinder head. American made Dodge has a 23 1/4" long engine. Canadian made Dodge has a larger engine 25" long at the head. Both will be practically the same displacement and horsepower but there are internal differences.

I mention this because many export orders were filled through the Canadian Dodge factory for tax reasons and most Kingsway models were made there.

5. Szebban

Szebban
    from Sweden

I Will go with the manual 3-speed gearbox. So i Will need to get a flywheel for the 12v starter and replace the flywheel for 6v to get it to work? Any idees where i can find a 12v flywheel?

6. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

You can use the 6 volt starter just fine with 12 volts, it has been done many times.
    if 6 volts is working fine, you can stay with that, why switch?
    Or you can source a 12 volt flywheel in the states.
    The nice thing is the 1957 230 will have more HP too.
    Go here and post this question, you might even find what your looking for,

www.p15-d24.com

7. oldwood

oldwood
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from arkansas

I have the flywheel on a '57 Plymouth parts car here in Arkansas. That's going to be a heavy item to ship though.

8. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Wonder if the ring gear off that flywheel will fit onto the 51 flywheel.
    Or is the later flywheel a completely different animal.
    If it is just tooth count differences, what about switch the starter drive gear from a 6 volt starter to a 12 volt starter, not sure that is a possibility either..

9. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

10. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

1941-56 146 ring gear tooth count, 1957 172 tooth count

11. Szebban

Szebban
    from Sweden

If the 172 tooth ringgear will fit on the 1951 flywheel that would be great. I cant find any masurements on the inner diameter on the to diffrent ringgears. I found this picture on internet ,maybe i could get some info out of that.

Attached Files: