Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mopar distributor???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by XxStrait-EdgexX, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Im working on replacing all of the lean burn crap on my 360 that I got out of a 79 chrysler cordoba.... I was wondering if you mopar guys could steer me in the direction of a good and preferable OEM(no msd etc, something I could pick up at the local autoparts store) dizzy that I can replace he original one with. Feel free to supply the part number. Thanks alot guys.

2. hustlinhillbilly

hustlinhillbilly
    from ohio

If you're wanting something OEM, just get a pre lean burn distributor from the boneyards and rebuild it to factory specs?

I went with a HEI from I think Accel for the wife's 383 in her Roadrunner. It works fine, and wasn't too bad on the billfold. The only problem I had was getting a good ground. It's been going strong for 4 years now.

3. moparforlife

moparforlife
    from Rolla, MO

Any factory electronic Mopar small block distributor would probably be a good fit. Or you could go with the Mopar Performance electronic kit from somewhere like Summit for around $200. Or you could get an older points small block dist and convert it using Pertronix or something like that. Lots of options.

4. So one of those electronic dizzy conversion kits would have everything I need to get rid of that crap??? Jegs lists one from proform (whoever the hell that is) for only $145, one of those sounds good because it comes with the ecu, wiring, ballast resister and the complete dizzy...

5. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Autozone shows a rebuilt point type part # 30-3816 for $37.99 w core, the electronic is a bit more.

Or send me your present distributor and i can make it what ever you want and set it up as well for the 360....

I would run the factory electronic .....

6. moparforlife

moparforlife
    from Rolla, MO

$145 sounds pretty cheap and usually you get what you pay for. The Mopar Performance kit comes with the distributor, wiring, ECU, and a ballast resistor. Does the carburetor have some kind of electronic thing on it for the learn burn? I always thought the carburetors for the lean burn cars were a little different than a regular carb.

7. The carb is different but I am going to run a edelbrock 4 barrel with an aluminum intake. I have a electronic dizzy sitting here that a bud of mine gave me(it was in his junk bin) and I was comparing it to the stock one on the 360 and I see no differences whatsoever.... why does the dizzy even need to be changed??? I definitely want to run factory electronic.

Autozone shows 30-3890 as stock replacement... it looks just like any other electronic dizzy with vaccum.

8. moparforlife

moparforlife
    from Rolla, MO

I believe if you take the top plate out of the lean burn distributor (3 screws on the side), you will find they are very different. The lean burn distributors were built with no mechanical advance weights.

Attached Files:

9. Mine looks like it has weights.... the number on the dizzy is 3690436...

10. So if I was to switch to a points dizzy I wouldnt need the ecu, ballast resistot etc right???? Im looking for quick and easy.

11. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

You would need only a ballast resistor......and the correct coil of approx 1.5./2.0 ohms

12. Anyone have a link to a diagram of hooking up a points dizzy with a ballast resistor??? Ive never used an external resistor.... Ive only dealt with ignitions on air cooled vws...

13. moparforlife

moparforlife
    from Rolla, MO

Why not go electronic while you're making the swap? Probably will make it start and run better. The electronic wiring is not that much worse that points wiring.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      54.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      60.3 KB
      Views:
  14. That does make sense, mine has the two prong ballast. One question, what is the wire at the top of the diagram that goes to the right, out of the picture going to?? seeing as I have the ecu already, where can I get the wiring that is shown in the mopar conversion kit??

Edit: Never mind, jegs has it. But its 5 prong, not 4....

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  15. twofosho

twofosho

Don't worry about converting to the regular Mopar wiring and amplifier, and you don't need to spend the money on the aftermarket multiple spark discharge stuff either. Hot setup is now accepted by an ever increasing number of Mopar fanatics to be the normal Mopar mag pulse distributor from 1973 up (until at least the computer era), coupled with a GM HEI module, and compatible coil using readily available (read cheap!) auto parts store parts.

The slant sixers have the handle on this so you want go to

http//:www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15779

This thread has part numbers, diagrams, and basic instructions on converting the Mopar electronic distributor the GM HEI and includes links to other threads of others experiences doing the conversion.

If you can plug in electrical connecters you can have a H.E.I. in your Mopar. Looks like it works with Ford mag pulse distributors too.

16. RodStRace

RodStRace

17. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

both of my Mopars have stock electronic distributors and they are great. i'm going to put one in the hemi i'm building now. i do believe mopar was the first to use electronic ignition

18. Im looking at the ecu I got off of the cordoba and the unit itsels is has 4 prongs but the wiring thats plugged into it has 5 prongs.... does that mean I can use the mopar 5 prong harness that jegs sells???

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  19. Yes you can use a 4 pin box on the 5 pin harness, mopar did it that way and I have done it dozens of times.

20. Alright, thanks