Register now to get rid of these ads!

mopar cowl steering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by charlesf, Aug 18, 2013.

1. charlesf

charlesf

OK, friends. Help me out here. I'm using a Mopar steering box in my lakes modified. I've searched all the threads, and I can't find a Pitman arm solution. The sector shaft protrudes from the cowl, so there is no need to fab an extension for the arm. I will need a center to center length of about 10 to 12 inches. I looked at the R&C articles on Kev Elliott's rpu, using the same gearbox, and saw a nice arm in the photos, but no specs/detail/i.d.

Helpful thoughts and comments will be greatly appreciated.

2. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

Ones I have seen were home made. If you come up with something else I will be paying attention. Good luck

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. designs that work

designs that work

If you are using the aluminum box, a lot of the super modified racers used them in the 1970's. As dynaflash said make your own pitman arm, have the welding done by a competent welder.

4. 117harv

117harv

I can fab one for you.

neverdun likes this.

5. charlesf

charlesf

Thanks! Anyone else with ideas?

6. I fabed my own.

Attached Files:

7. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

Here are two Example. The second picture is one I saw at the KKOA show in Salina, this past July. The 1st picture is one I got from the Hamb here. They are both home fabricated units. Hope this helps.:cool:

Attached Files:

8. tom brown

tom brown

hello- I have done several of the mopar-cowl steering- check sprint car arms as they offer different lengths . you can fab a steel plate- roughly 2x12 with top hole welded to output shaft- then neatly bolted behind your nice looking sprint car arm. tough and good control. good luck