Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mopar 440

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BETHELBOB, Apr 2, 2009.

1. BETHELBOB

BETHELBOB

Building a 30 ford rpu with a mopar 440, how can i simplify the wiring for the distributor? Can i eliminate the ignition module?
    Any help?

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The most dependable solid state ignition ever and you want to eliminate it?

3. nexxussian

nexxussian

There's a wiring diagram on the web somewhere on how to use a 4 pin HEI module to do basically that.

It's small, therefore easier to hide.

IIRC I just got a mag with a writup on something like that too, I'll have to look.

4. I would use a four pin mopar electronic box and wire it up like so

[​IMG]

5. 73RR

73RR

If you don't want the module to show then park it, and the ballast resistor, under the dash. Remember that it generates some heat so keep other wires clear.

There are few systems, if any, as dependable as the Mopar unit. And yes, parts are everywhere, including that old 73 Dodge pickup in your neighbours driveway...

6. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

My Mopar ignition has never let me down in 6 years of driving. Sure the box isn't the most attractive, but just hide it. Parts are readily available over the parts counter for those as well. The HEI is super ugly chillin in the front of that 440. Make sure your ignition box has a strong ground and it'll provide reliable, powerful spark for many years

7. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Just put in an older points-type distributor. One wire to the neg-post of the coil.
    Can't get much simpler than that.

8. BETHELBOB

BETHELBOB

Thanks for all the info, i think i got all i need for now.

9. nexxussian

nexxussian

FWIW the mag I was thinking of is:

"Hometown hot rod" (yes lower case on the 'hot rod') Vol. 2 Issue 10 Feb / Mar 09 Pgs 7-15.

Part of the article is how to convert a distributor from points to electronic, using a Chrysler inductive picup and trigger, and a 4 pin HEI module. So part of it includes how to wire something like that.

It also include some snazzy hardware from our very own Dicster27 (credited in the article).

Hope that helps.

10. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

Here's a bracket for about $40 that attaches the GM HEI module to your factory electronic distributor - http://designed2drive.com/