Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. NEW MERCH!!!!!!

Hey guys... It's that time of the year again and we are introducing some new shirts in the Jalopy Journal store - including our first ever pocket shirt! So, if you are in the need for some new threads go here:
    The Jalopy Journal Store
    Dismiss Notice

Technical mopar 413 harmonic balancer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnfin, Apr 3, 2018.

1. johnfin

johnfin
    from auburndale

Are these engines external or internal balanced. I broke my harmonic balancer.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. dartracer

dartracer

Should be internal, what year is it? As long as it's not a late motor home motor you're good

3. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i believe '76 and on were externally balanced, cast crank. everything before were steel crank and internally balanced. i have a '76 in a fed and found this place that has an externally balanced one. it has a weight inside like a sbf. give them a call.
    https://prw-usa.com/

4. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

Internal or external just match it up
    All B& RB gen II HEMI use same balancer. Most 423 are internal balance.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

paul. i am curious. what are you talking about? the 413 is not a hemi. what is a 423? there is a difference in internal and external balance. if you use a neutral balance damper in a cast crank external balance engine it will shack itself to death. the converter must match the engine too. there are weights you have to weld onto the converter to match the external balance of the damper. there is another way to do this too. by buying the half moon cutout flexplate they sell to solve this problem then you don't have to weld the weights on.

6. racerlall

racerlall
    from WA

7. rjgideon

rjgideon

The externally balanced, cast crank dampers look different than the internally balanced forged crank dampers. If you have the old one, you should be able to tell the difference looking at some pictures of cast crank dampers from forged crank ones.

8. all b-rb-hemi balancers will physically fit on your crank. when you get the replacement stack it on top of the old one. line up the key ways. then make sure the tdc mark lines up correctly. there are combinations of balancers cranks and timing covers that will change the timing by 10 degrees. also check the height so the pulleys will line up correctly. you don't want a hemi balancer even though it will fit on the crank. the 413 most likely has the thin balancer. the cast crank balancers are huge. much thicker. there should be no mistaking them. do a google search to see the difference.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  9. Perry Hvegholm

Perry Hvegholm

If your 413 has a cast crank, it's externally balanced. If it has a forged crank, it's internally balanced. It will fairly apparent what you have when you inspect it. The cast crank damper will have an offset weight on it. The forged will not.

You MUST use a cast crank damper (offset weight) on a cast crank engine. Likewise, a neutral balance damper will need to be used on the forged crank motor.

10. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have never seen a cast crank- externally balanced 413. And I have had a couple dozen. Any steel crank, internally balanced, balancer will physically fit. But be careful, there are a couple of different timing marks and tabs. Also, if by chance you have an industrial 413. They have a balancer all their own.