Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mopar 3 speed column with overdrive

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aussie57wag, May 5, 2017.

1. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

My uncle gave me an Australian 1975 model valiant ute. I know its not really a hamb car. But i just want get it on the road for a daily driver then carry on with my A coupe.
    It has a 3 speed column shift which I want to keep. But an o/d would be good. I know chev and ford offerd o/d up into the late sixties on the 3 speed manual. Did Chrysler offer one as well ? I haven't been able to find info on any. If so what cars did they come in and what name or code was the gesrbox known by?
    Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Chrysler was a pioneer in OD use. Most Airflows, if not all, are so equipped. They're found in DeSotos & Chryslers until the Fluid Drive hits the market, then disappear until 1952 when all but Imperial offer it. It's gone after the '56 models.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    54EARL likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

In the US, late 70s Mopars got the overdrive version of the 833 4 speed. but it's a floor shift....

52plybizcoupe likes this.
  4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

squirrel is correct, they made an overdrive out of a 4 speed transmission. The shifter looks like a 4 speed floor shift but it is 3 speeds plus overdrive. They used to be fairly common in Volare and Aspen sedans and station wagons and in 1/2 ton Dodge pickup trucks. From memory, they were offered from around 1975 to the early 80s. Whether they had them down under I don't know but they are easy to spot in the junk yards. Look for a manual trans floor shift and check the pattern on the shift knob.

If you see a loose transmission it looks like the 4 speed from the muscle car era but with the 4th gear lever flipped over.

These days they tend to get ignored in favor of more modern 5 speeds.

5. upspirate

upspirate

Is that the same 3sp/od they used in the lightweight gas saver Feather Duster?

6. 73RR

73RR

Yes, same 3+1.