Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Moon tank sender

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 28 Ford PU, Apr 19, 2017.

1. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

Hi all--- I searched past post looking for info on a vertical fuel sender and found nothing. I was looking at EBay and found a lot of the vertical type some with the float that goes up and down on a tube and others that have the float inside a tube to protect it from sloshing around.

I have a 60's SW 240-33 ohm fuel gage and a early 7 gal moon tank that is about 9.5" deep.

I also see two manufacturers VDO and KAS mainly used in boats with a 230mm depth (9.5") 240-33 OHMS. Looks perfect to me.

I contacted the seller to get his recommendation on the external or internal float and could they be shorten if needed.

He writes back "It won't work for you". Any one here tried this type?

I have a swing arm in the tank now but I had to shorten the float arm so much to clear the tank baffles it only reads full-1/2.

Any other ideas would be great too.

You guys are great by the way. I sit in a lawn chair in the garage when I log into the HAMB site so I feel like I have my buddies around me.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Atwater Mike likes this.
  2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Have you looked at Motorcycle senders?

3. 97

just make a straight up and down one for yourself to operate the SW sender , I think SW does in fact make a vertical sender but its not in the online catalog, you have to contact them and ask. Some aftermarket boat fuel tanks have a vertical float /sender/gage built in to the filler cap. Some late model Chevy pickups too.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post a pic of tank that you are using - sure that it is a Moon tank? - tanks were built for racing and not regular driving so, were filled after each run - going to modify top of tank to accept a sender? - have seen, in limited use, custom fuel tanks that used a visual site clear tube along side to know fuel level.

5. Casual 6

Casual 6
    from Great NW

VDO makes vertical tube senders with a variety of lengths. I used one on a tank with a depth that was between lengths. To keep it from bottoming out, I just put a 1/2 inch spacer under the mounting flange.

upload_2017-4-19_8-31-44.png

6. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

8. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

9. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

Yes, That's exactly like the ones I was looking at on EBay for 1/2 the price. The seller said it wouldn't work, with no other explanation. I did reply with why not but go no answer as of this morning.

10. Kan Kustom, 28 Ford PU and HunterYJ like this.
  11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Also, the old Moon catalog showed tanks (mostly fairly big ones in boats, I believe) with two bungs in the end connected by clear hose. When Moon was a real company they'd make pretty much any thing you could pay for.
    I think real sender working a gauge here is pushing practicality pretty hard. I would simply do it like Volkswagen...make a setup, easiest if you have two low bungs, that runs 2 hoses to a valve in cockpit floor. One bung has its tubing going up a couple of inches so it runs dry with some fuel left, other is at bottom, when car sneezes you turn the valve and start looking for gas.

12. Casual 6

Casual 6
    from Great NW

Maybe the Ebay seller's version doesn't work at all :eek:.

My VDO works just fine.

28 Ford PU likes this.
  13. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

Using a linear sender in a round tank results in the gauge being correct at the full point, halfway, and at the empty point. All points in between are wrong since, for instance, 3/4 of the way down doesn't equate to anything like 3/4 of a tank of gas. The linear sender guys get tired of people bitching about their gauge not reading correctly.

14. The tubular senders are available in half inch increment lengths. Just get the longest one that doesn't touch the bottom.
    As above it won't be perfectly accurate due to shape of tank, as stated above, but it will keep you from running out of fuel.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Tubular won't be reading gallons per se but actual level in tank so should be good and when you do a gas up at diffreent levels you'll then know the gallons...Just get a quality sender for the 240-33 requirement....

16. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

Perfect