Register now to get rid of these ads!

Moon Sterring wheel adaptor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cymro, May 12, 2010.

1. Cymro

Cymro

Help I'm Looking for an Adaptor / Boss to mate a Moon Steering wheel, to a Chevrolet AD steering column, I couldn't find one listed on the Mooneyes site. I have been told that a Grant Adaptor will do, does anybody know the part number / model number. Thanks.

2. Deuces

Deuces

I'm sure the BIG car parts stores carry the Grant steering wheels and asessories... Just bring it with ya so you could match it up to an adaptor.

3. Cymro

Cymro

Thanks for the tip, but I Live in the UK, some four hours away from any US car parts store, so I will probably have to buy mail order from somewhere. thats why I nned a part number or at least some indication if a later boss/adaptor will fit the column.

4. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

If you have a rotted AD truck wheel you can cut the center and make your own.
    Pretty straight forward job.

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If your Moon is like my old one here, I used a Grant adapter kit for it. I've never had one of those trucks but if the spline is the same as any Chevy (I think so) then any Chevy adapter will work. The different model Chevrolet kits were often just the different sized chrome bell included to match the diameter of the turn signal housing. They made one adapter for each spline available and added the appropriately sized chrome bell for the application on the kit. The chrome bell is not an easy thing to fabricate but you might be able to find a small stainless cup or bowl to make one. It will depend on your column mast and whether it has a turn signal housing or not.

6. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

7. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Theres a chart w/ make/model and part number on the old Grant adapter boxes,
    i have one (from the 70s) but god knows where! Im movin and all my stuff is packed!
    I also have a couple of chevy adapters but same as the box dunno where! :(
    if youre still lookin for one when i find'em you can have them if theyre what you lookin4.

Hopefully someone that has a box handy will chime in!

8. Cymro

Cymro

Thanks guys for your help

9. GreasyDave

GreasyDave

Moon used to stock them, so I'd shoot them an email and double check if you don't see it on their site.

They were out of the adapters when I bought my steering wheel from them last year, but they gave me the part number and I ran to the local parts store to grab it. I'm sure they'd hook you up with the number if you gave them a buzz.

10. If you go to Jegs or Summit, they list them by application......

11. Cymro

Cymro

Moon e mailed me with part No GB 4187

12. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Love to see a pic of wheel installed!

13. I have the 4187 kits in stock here in the UK.