Register now to get rid of these ads!

moon gas tank mounts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Mar 3, 2011.

1. JimSibley

JimSibley

I am using a moon tank with eelco mounts on my kids 32. Im just lookin for clean install pics. Anyone got a good setup on thier rod?

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll tick a lot of guys off but those damned things holler "Me too, me too, I wanna be one of the cool guys" worse than any trinket that gets hung on a car that doesn't need it.
    I just don't visualize you getting caught up in that brigade. Unless it is going in the trunk that is.

I should clarify that. If said car has the rollbar/cage and four point harness to go along with the tank and an engine to back up the tank that needs a higher grade of fuel once in a while when one wants to make a wide open pass the tank works but I'm seeing way too many that just look like the guy had an extra 300 bucks to blow at the swap meet and the tank doesn't really add anything to the car or it's appearance.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  3. Muttley

Muttley

I also have an ancient Moon tank with EELCO mounts. I'd really like to know why you see that so often? I'd love to trade my EELCO mounts for a set of Moon's to match the tank.

4. Deuces

Deuces

If I had a deuce, you could bet yer ass that I'd have one mounted up front... :D

5. I've had mine since the 60s, guess I should remove it from my 5W!!! NOT!!! LOL Mine is an Eelco with Eelco brackets.
    Different strokes for different folks!!

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I bet you would!!!
    I've got a really old Moon tank from the '50's, and I'm still looking for a pair of real Moon mounts. May just give up and sell the tank, as I'll never find them separate from the tank.

7. Well that tank is 60 years old and worthless instead of selling it you should just give it to me. That way I can be one of those guys. :D:D Hell I got a super bowl XL mini keg that I'll let you have if your nice to me.

Jim and Mutt,
    I've seen tons of moon tanks on EELCO mounts. I wonder if the moon mounts just gave out and the EELCO mounts were a better mount or easier to get or cheaper?

Sounds to me like one of us should borrow a pair of Moon mounts from someone an have some cast. I'll bet we could get together and have enough of them cast to make them reasonable.

just a thought.

8. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Here's my belly button Moon tank on my belly button 32 roadster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Deuces

Deuces

10. Terry O

Terry O

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  11. Flootiebuell

Flootiebuell

@MR48Chevy......did someone get up on the wrong side of the bed today?

Suicide doors? Me too me too!!!!

12. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Damn sexy bellybutton...

13. pcterm2

pcterm2

14. Muttley

Muttley

Moon still makes/sells them, they just dont offer the old spring type. The brackets Moon currently sells are the full surround type, they started making them in the late '60's.

15. Exactly. But someone must have a pair od the earlier spring type mounts that they would loan us, right? I thought that was everyone was after.

I'm not sure how well the spring type mounts would hold up on a streeter. Maybe that was a problem even on a dragster?????

16. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

HI: I've had the old style mounts on my pickup for 10 years with no problems, they even came through a crash in a Austin A 40 gasser I had! THANKS Chris

17. Terry O

Terry O

NHRA outlawed the springs because they didn't always secure the tank in a crash.
    I used the later style hoops on the Vicky because I thought they would secure the tank better not from a crash but from street thieves.

Terry

31 Vicky gasser @ CCHR
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ghlight=herren

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  18. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yeah, pretty worthless and looks like crap too.
    [​IMG]

19. You can always fill it with Old No. 7 and put a petcock at the bottom...

Bob

20. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

i filled mine with a battery

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      516.9 KB
      Views:
  21. My Eelco stands were given to me. I like how the springs look, but I just cleaned up the hardware, that came with 'em.. and used some clear tubing. Look forward to mounting this on my roadster, which cant be soon enough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

Whoa! Killer motor! Very neat.

23. choke

choke

We mounted the tank really close and tight to the hood. This helped fill the void of no front grille. Plus the front nerf bar actually protects the tank.

Attached Files:

24. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

You can make a nice set of cast mounts from an aluminum blast gate of the appropriate diameter. Available at most sheetmetal supplys, (one gate makes two half mounts)the photo shows a tank I made for a dragster a while ago...works the same way for a full cylinder tank.

Attached Files:

25. dannyego

dannyego

moon makes a mount to mount it to the front of a deuce., at least they did a couple yeats ago. You can get the eelco old style mounts on Ebay. Moon only makes the full wrap around style ones now. I dont know if they fit the old tanks. I Have a very early tank and none of the new moon tank stuff fits or works with it. The vintage reissue repops are not exact to the originals. So sayeth moon when I called.

26. rodrobb

rodrobb
    from Sweden

Here is mine whit the new moon wraparound style, This is no show tank
    The radiator is in the trunk

Attached Files:

• 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      53.2 KB
      Views:
  27. I have an early Moon tank with the Eelco mounts. Its mounted at the rear to a simple bar with tabs, bolted to the bottom inside frame horn, and the front is two stainless clamp type mounts that wrap around the spreader bar.

I use mine as an coolant overflow tank.

Mick

Attached Files:

28. dudley32

dudley32

Man!!..you guys are makin' me cry..I had an original 2 and a half with spring mount that I let go with a 32 pickup..another mistake..think they changed to solid mount because the springs would not hold up in a crash..

29. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

subscribed for reference