Register now to get rid of these ads!

Moon gas pedal and throttle linkage..need pics of yours!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Leadsled51, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

I am putting a vintage Moon gas pedal in my gasser Falcon. Is there linkage you can get for it? What did you use? Show me some pics....I am trying to stick with the 60's vintage vibe to keep it looking as period correct as possible. Would like to see shots of what you used on the firewall as well as what you connected it to the carb with. Thanks in advance!

2. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

anybody? Just give me something to look at....some ideas that have the 60's look

3. Here's what I did...... Can you bolt yours to the stock pedal and use the stock linkage?..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

looks killer kev. what did you use for the rotating point on the arm ? like how is it put together ? im buildin my first truck and wanna make a cleaner throttle setup. all i have for reference is a shit looking cable setup from like an 80's camaro

5. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

That's nice Kev, but he asked for a Moon pedal, jeez! :D

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
    Deuces and Bandit Billy like this.
  6. I'm trying here, OK? The pivot point is a bearing from some kind of aircraft bell crank.

7. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Pretty sure Moon made hydraulic throttle setups in the 60's. They're about as clean and trouble free as anything you'd ever come up with for throttle linkage.

8. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

That is exactly what I was looking for!!! I know Mr. Gasket sells something similar to what Kev is showing. I might do something like that. BTW, Kev....all my original linkage is long gone. Was replaced by that junky looking 80's GM cable, and pedal.

9. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Rather than looking for a kit it possible to just buy whatever components and materials your install needs.

A proper installation using a GOOD cable isn't traditional, but it really isn't a bad option.

Or as metlmunchr pointed out, hydraulic eliminates all but a few linkage components.

10. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

Can't say I've ever seen a hydraulic linkage....I'll have to see if I can find one.

11. ??????? I'd like to see one of those!

12. Terry O

Terry O

This may give you an idea for fabrication.
    This is some NOS Ansen linkage and pedal, late 50's early 60's vintage. The linkage package included the pillow blocks, the rod and the bellcranks.

Terry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Muttley

Muttley

[​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  14. Holy shit, that is some Spy Vs. Spy throttle linkage shit right there! Expert craftsmanship!

15. Hey Mutt, send me one of those hydraulic throttles. $49.95 is in the mail!

16. Muttley

Muttley

If you print the picture out and fold it in half you get a treasure map to Stu Hilborn's Streamliner.

I'll get right on that. :rolleyes: ;)

17. jimmy1931

jimmy1931

Hope the pics post & are clear.

Attached Files:

18. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

Wow, a lot of good ideas! Jimmy, I never thought about using that tab on the side....nice work!

19. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's not a mOOn but...same idea.

Some Aluminum pieces, E-bay BB-BellCrank and a Bicycle Chain.
    I'll Make a nicer wire lock later.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  20. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

marked for reference, thanks again HAMBers

21. Novaron

Novaron
    from New York

Here's mine. 3/8 rod, drilled and tapped to 1/4-28. QA1 hiem joints, Speedway bellcrank, Lokar cable.
    066.JPG
    059.JPG

Deuces and Muttley like this.
  22. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Most racing groups wont allow HYD throttle linkages (not your case, but just info) because you can pull back on the peddle if for some reason the throttle sticks, Other than that they have a slow feed, mushy feel to them and need a bunch of return spring. Almost have to mock the thing up first and assemble in a bucket of fluid to be positive of no air in the system.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't remember ever seeing one of the hydraulic linkage setups shown in a car in any magazine article or pointed out in race coverage. I used to see that add all the time though.
    I've got a no name pedal hanging in my garage waiting for the right rig to put it in.

24. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m79/kiwikevinp/Gas Pedals/scan0009.jpg

Notice the 2 different pivot locations. The pedal on the right is hinged at the bottom like most all street gas pedals. The one on the left is hinged higher up so that the heel can be used to close the butterflies if a throttle spring should break. A safety requirement for many racing bodies. Drive 10 miles with your heel off of the floorboard and you will not like it. If you plan on driving it much, make sure you try it out for comfort before you do a lot of fabricating. All moon pedals are not alike.

25. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Drag car magazines from the 60's usually used on Hilborn uprites , easy to install

26. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gonna have to use some of all these ideas to make the Studebaker go. Gonna have to find a pedal first!

27. Bump, since I'm at the point, my gas pedal location is about a foot n half left of carb throttle arm location (blue tape under dash).

20231013_173028.jpg 20231013_173111.jpg 20231013_173537.jpg

Deuces, Just Gary and -Brent- like this.
  28. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I'm getting to this point myself, and like you @swade41 I have a big offset like that.

After serious searching, looking, google'ing and racking my brain, especially with a tunnel ram I'm considering seriously going to cable.

With a 440 I don't know or sure how much torque twist may be induced into the frame during hard acceleration and possible throttle bind. This shouldn't be a problem with a cable.

29. I'm good with cable myself, I slipped some 1/4-20 in there to see where it lands on the firewall and the pedal will be way over by the steering column.
    When I measured throttle throw at the linkage I need 2 1/2 inches of travel, I was looking at these floor mounts where the cable runs under the floor but Speedway's version says 2 inches of travel and the Lokar doesn't give a measurement.

20231016_143001.jpg
    Screenshot_20231016_215547_Chrome.jpg