Register now to get rid of these ads!

Montgomery, NY drag races

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hiboy_32, Oct 2, 2007.

1. I remember seeing Joe Boccuzzi race his chopped 49 Chevy ragtop there. I was around 14 yrs old.

2. edmund

edmund

Here is a cool article from 1958 when Montgomery, NY drags opened. Hope you enjoy it. Sorry, the file was too large to attach in one piece. Open both attachments to read the full article.

Attached Files:

3. That's Him!

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

He started this thread on October, 3, 2007 and has a total of 11 posts, this has to be some type of HAMB record. Maybe his computor broke?:confused:

5. heddon

heddon
    from texas

found a verry nice montgomery drag race poster
    anybody interested

6. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Attached Files:

7. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

OK. I guess I'm the old fart yourvlooking for. I was flagman at Montgomery on opening day and for a while after that. I still have the article that the Middletown newspaper ran about the new Montgomery drag strip. I'm in the picture they ran of 2 1955 Chevs coming off the line and they mentioned me by name. Garlits set a national ET record at Montgomery. I also ran a channeled 34 coupe in C/A. Will post more when I have time. BTW Montgomery was a NASCAR drag strip. The staff was recruited from the short-lived Garden State Hot Rod Association. More to follow.

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Dino, Is "Alley Oop" or the Danbury Modifiers mentioned in this program? Bob [​IMG]

9. Pa G.

Pa G.
    from CT

I know a guy who raced an Olds powered 34 highboy roadster in B/R around '58 and '59. Car was dark green and said Conn. Yankee on the sides. He still has some of his trophies and one has a plaque that says the car turned 108 mph in 13 seconds. Boy,would I love to see more pics from Montgomery in those days,especially of that car.

Haven't seen the Since '56 deuce in many moons but used to see it on the street occaisionally around Norwalk and Westport CT. Great car.

10. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  11. Jimv

Jimv

Tom, Heres a pic of My grandfather, my Cousin Bobby & Me at dover in 1961 when i was 12!Check out my cousins "highwaters" & the way i'm standing!!lol
    JimV
    PS Is that you in the background?lol

Attached Files:

12. brewster55

brewster55

i would love that picture and any more info on montgomery. i grew up here, and just recently moved back. building a 55 chevy.

13. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

This is a decal I created in memory of the old Montgomery Drag Strip.

Keeping the memories alive is what's it's all about.

Jimbo

[​IMG]

14. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Dino:

I saw your shop truck in the latest issue of Sign Craft magazine is that the same one you did a few years back?

Still using that Gerber?

Jimbo

15. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Brewster55:
    The newspaper that Edmund posted here last year has the picture I referred to. It's the left page lower pic.

16. I think I saw Paul Tuttle Sr. on one of the Panheads taking off from the line.

17. 5quart

5quart
    from NJ

Hi Here I am opening day 106.39 MPH - note[​IMG] footbasll helmet and goggles-- thanks don
    [​IMG]

18. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

I have a couple of shots from Montgomery NY, Fuel and Gas Invitational 1959. I'll have to dig up the poster and the other pic's.

Attached Files:

19. historynw

historynw

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  20. Race Artist

Race Artist

I was at Montgomery a few times in 1958-9 and somewhere I have a few 35mm slides. If I can find them I'll scan and post them.
    I'm looking for information, pictures and remembrances of a modified sports car racer that ran at Montgomery. He also ran at at least one of the NHRA nationals in Detroit and down in Florida also ... Art Hocking with a Pontiac powered Kurtis Kraft sports car. I recall the car and talk about him but can't come up with anything. I believe it was white, or a very light color. I think he was an heir to the Anchor-Hocking company or some large well known industry. Englewood and southeast Florida comes to mind as to where he was from. I also seem to have a memory of him running at the two south FL strips, Miami Masters Field and Davie, FL.
    Please reply via my home email racenart@optonline.net
    Thanks.
    Joel

21. TommyA19

TommyA19

In 1961, the drag racing was moved from the Montgomery Airport to the dirt track in Middletown, NY - OCFS, and they drag raced on the front stretch. Did not go over to well.

22. edmund

edmund

At the Clinton Street Car Show in the Village of Montgomery this coming Sunday, Sept 24, 2017, they are going to run a short film history of NASCAR Drag racing at Montgomery including some drag footage. They also have some articles about the opening and closing of the track. Clinton Street Car Show 2017.JPG

23. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Edmund thanks I hadn't heard they were doing that. I'm in Warwick so just a skip and hop away.

24. Jerry Uttrachi

Jerry Uttrachi

Was looking for something specific and came across this Forum. Two fun stories re the Montgomery Race Track:
    .Recalled seeing Don Garlts race in late 1950's. Was at the Darlington SC Drag Strip (where I have lived for the past 38 years and Don was there at an AHRA National Event in 1991 (when they were still here.) He was selling his book, which I bought. I mentioned that I saw him at Montgomery when he had eight '97 carbs, no blower. Remarkedly he said, "Yep only was there once, turned 8.36 ET." Sure enough his book has all races he every ran and in 1958 that was exactly the speed!
    Another fun time is when we drove from North NJ to the Track thinking there would be a Drag race. Turned out it was a NASCAR race (which I did not follow at the time.) We were late so got in free and saw #42 and #43 racing with hay bails in corners. That was Richard Petty and his Dad! Was a sponsor for Richard from 1986 through 2000 when I retired. Mostly worked with Dale Inman his cousin and crew chief for many years. They were in Level Cross NC at he time and we have given them 25 welding and plasma cutting machines (my business.) We would teach the team welding and cutting stuff and visited frequently with my training folks. Richard always came out of house to say hello. Know Dale was arranging! Great folks. By Cousin saw Dale at a race in Bristol VA last year and he recalled our association- He's 83. Recall mentioning that Montgomery race to Dale and he said, yep remember, we pulled the cars on flatbed trucks and we slept in them as well!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    The37Kid likes this.