Register now to get rid of these ads!

Montgomery, NY drag races

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hiboy_32, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Hiboy_32

Hiboy_32

Anyone know of any sources on the 'net for information, pix, whatever about the old Montgomery NY airport drag strip in the 50's -60's? I remember seeing Tommy Ivo and his twin Buick powered Kent Fuller dragster, and Don Garlets' Swamp Rat.

2. john56h

john56h

I live near Montgomery, in Middletown, NY. The drags at the airport were before my time, but I'll see what I can dig up.

Found this on the village of montgomery's website historical page:
    "John Matthews, a regular visitor to Phil's Barbershop, tells of the time during the 1950's when sports car races were held at what is now the Orange County Airport. Famous racers from all over the world competed. Later drag racing, with big names, like the "Green Monster", became popular at this sight"

I'd suggest that you look at the thread regarding the Dover dragstrip in Dover Plains, NY. Some of the members who posted there might have some knowledge about Montgomery.

3. storm king

storm king

I did my first interview/newspaper ariticle when a group of us we lobbying to get that track made permanent. They also used to race SCCA sports cars there. Dan Gurney; Lance Reventlow and others raced there with factory backed Masserattis and Ferarris back in the day.

4. john56h

john56h

5. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

From what I gather when Montgomery closed, Dover Drag Strip filled the Gap, Why did it close ?

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

I became the caretaker of the remains of "Alley Oop" in 1989, the B/D Lyndwood that The Danbury Modifiers ran up until 1963. It first raced at Montgonery, these photos were taked the second time it ran there, the last one with the painted body was later on. The HEMI never ran well for them and it ran an ALGON injected SBC for the rest of its life.

7. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Bob...The photos please

8. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

"We are expeariancing Photo upload difficulties beyond our control, please stay on the line ,and a technical representive will be with you shortly"

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

...............had to reboot my computer, actually it is so old resandal is what really happened. These photos were given to me by Bill Babyak along with his original Danbury Modifiers club plaque. He wote a history of the club in a Dover Reunion program in 2004. Chet Anderson attended one of the Montgomery meets and it impressed him. He asked Frank Moratta about building a drag strip in Connecticut, and Frank turned down the idea at first and Chet went on to build Dover Dragstrip in Wingdale. .............The very last photo shows the car at Dover with the Chevy in it, it is dated 1960 but the strip opened in 1961.

Attached Files:

ct1932ford likes this.
  10. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

there ya go ....nice stuff

11. It was the first drag strip I ever went to. Dover was the second

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

I only went to Dover once in 1961, I was 10 years old, still have my ticket stub, and newspaper cutouts.

13. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

14. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Did a Google search and came up with nothin...need some old Farts to check in ..I'm interested

15. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Hi Boy 32...No photos huh? If you're in with the Westchester "New York Boys", try contacting club member Tom McGinnity www.tcmstudios.com
    Great Photographer that "has a Way" of finding Old Photos.

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Hi Boy 32, wonder if he lived in Norwalk, Ct. has a Honduras Maroon '32 3Window that was bought for $50.00 and raced it at Dover ?:rolleyes:

17. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Tom used to show up at the ORIGINAL Summer Cruise in Bethel,ct.(82-87) with the Westchester Street Rod Assoc. Think he always lived in N.Y. His CAR ? A W E S O M E Bonneville style Duece roadster WITH Blown S O H C Ford ! HE Drove it into the cruise one night doing about a 45 min run from N.Y. ON ALCOHOL ! GETTING OT here NEED MONTGOMERY STUFF ....Right?

18. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Dino, most East Coast guys didn't know what a Cruise Nite was untill you started them. I think Hiboy 32 is Tom's partner Larry from the old magazine days.

Attached Files:

20. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

A CRUISE NIGHT button ! you the man !!This gets me wanting to Find my Stash Box of all my saved Cruise Night stuff, Photo it and post ...think I have one of those Buttons too. Opps.OT again ..Thats for another time, another Thread.

21. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

Wally ...that article is Amazing- great find

22. My original car club, The Motormounts of Maplewood, NJ used to volunteer at Montgomery. Our job? make sure all cars in competition had their hub caps removed & tighten all the lug nuts. Talk about starting at the bottom of the ladder...but we got in for free, and in 1960, that was a good deal.

23. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Remember that car from Dover, the driver used to turn the mag from the cockpit if it wouldn't start...wore a leather jacket...sometimes watching the push starts was as much fun as the runs...

24. Dino the weirdo

Dino the weirdo

see the Dover Site For New photos added ....this car included on History page and tons of new posts in Forum plus new videos!

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Dino, Sorry it took me so long to get the photos to you........I HAVE MORE! The feature I really like on the site is the drag the mouse over the thumbnail to allow the photo to enlarge. Thank you for the photo credit, but you mixed in a few from others. Saw Teddy's 33 Chevy last weekend, still carries "Cool Change" that you lettered on the rear tailpan. Best wishes, Bob

26. Race Artist

Race Artist

I have a few poor photos from Montgomery in 1958. My father took me up there a few times when I was a kid. It'll take me a while to get them scanned.
    Joel
    www.JFNStudios.net

27. barnaderg

barnaderg

I drag raced at montgomery strip I had a 335hp 4 speed chevrolet biscayne car was built in tarry town New York. We had moved to Queens
    New York and I did a lot of racing at Connecting Highway & West Hampton
    Long Island. It was a great time to live. My nickname was Johnny Biscayne
    My Brother had a 1959 biscayne 315hp 4 speed his nickname was Billy
    Biscayne.

28. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Wow that car was quite the beast when it had a Chrysler in it... never saw those shots before, neat history.

29. Ricci32

Ricci32

I have a friend with a mongomery drag srip poster with a pic of don gartlits on it. found it hanging in a local barn.