Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Monster in the Making

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by riceman, May 6, 2010.

1. riceman

riceman

He isn't call Potvin Dug for nothing. Now this is serious old school nostalgia dragster power. 392 with prepared 331 triple nickel heads to feed the Monster. All this is in Potvin Dug and "Leavin" Lori Peterson's Old # 2 dragster. With just Hilborn fuel injection, the car has run 8.60 at 157 mph on Alky with 392 heads weighing in at 1650 lbs. in his Chassis Research repop chassis. There is no reason why a seven second pass is not possible. It will happen !

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  2. i love crank mounted blowers.
    that sounds like an awesome set up.
    good luck potvin dug with the 7s.

3. smarg

smarg

Yes Sir, thats gonna be one wild set up!

4. popsracer

popsracer
    from Sacramento

5. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

6. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

That intake is purdy! Details?

7. riceman

riceman

The blower is set up at 1 to 1 ratio. Stock stroke crank with Howard aluminum rods and I think Arias Pistons. The roller cam specs are secert, so if I told you, I'd have to kill you. The driveline has a Powerglide to a spooled 8 3/4 Mopar rearend. The rear wheels are 4 small hole 10 x 16 Halibrands with 15'' 12 spoke front wheels that ride on a dropped and drilled 32 front axle & leaf spring. Old school with hair pin radius rods. The motor has 2 1/2'' weedburner headers and a Moon Tank up front. 1954 was the first time this kind of blower set up was used.

8. TMoney

TMoney

That's so bitchin!

9. outlaw56

outlaw56
    from Hines, MN

NICE! Would love to see some vid down the strip!!!!!!!

10. never seen a setup like that, so I'm gonna ask a dumb question....

it uses the two port AND the manifold injection?

11. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Roger, lets see a pic of the whole car!!!!! This is cool.

12. riceman

riceman

Ok, here it is. I'll send the pictures in a few messages.

Attached Files:

13. riceman

riceman

The trans has no trans brake and leaves at an idle. On a good track it will carry the front wheels for 100 ft even with 50 lbs of ballast on the front.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  14. riceman

riceman

Potvin Dug is a Red Blooded Hemi Lover. Note the nameless valve covers that came off a late 1950s Mopar truck. Dug and Lori built this car in their garage over 10 years ago and is NHRA legal for 7.50

Attached Files:

15. riceman

riceman

The nozzles in the Hilborns are only for Idle. To cure the problem with boost lag is why the major percentage of the fuel volume, with the port nozzles, is to have where it is needed at launch with the rpms up. A Trans brake will be put in.

16. HARD EDDY

HARD EDDY

holy sheet thats coool.

17. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

Very cool! Thanks for posting Roger! Doug's car is what made us think we could built a new car that would tech and look like an old one. I'm wonderin' if they are going with a trans brake are they going to go with a caster wheel/wheelie bar in the back now?

Here's a You Tube vid of it in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZwZtOxBJ0Y

Slides in the first half, action at the end.

18. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I sooo want to do an fed. Thats as bad ass as they get!

19. riceman

riceman

No wheelie roller. If the wheel speed at launch is right with the rpms up, no wheelie and should black track with some tire slippage. How is the progress coming on your car ?

20. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

That's cool! We might wuss out and put on a caster wheel on to begin with, but I'm hoping in time to ditch it.

We're just doing little fabrication things right now. The budget for the year is pretty much gone, so the rest of the time it's making pedals, the chute mount, and possibly a wrap around rear body section- similar to Doug and Lori's car. I hope later this year I can swing a 3rd member and at least the brake M/C so we can take care of that part. Next year we'll move towards the engine drivetrain combo. It's going to be a couple years at least before we can finish the car just due to the economics of the deal. Thanks for askin'

21. riceman

riceman

Potvin Doug wanted me to make him a simple scoop for his 2 port Hilborns. I made it out of .050'' steel. I folded the main body on my home made bender, then hammered out the end cap. I silver soldered it together. Then made a base plate out of 1/4'' aluminum plate for the scoop to bolt on to for additional support. It sits just above the main frame rails. The cover is made from 1/4 black plastic and 1'' foam.

Attached Files:

22. 66Coronet440

66Coronet440

That's just sick!

23. Deuces

Deuces

I'd love to see more of it..... :)

24. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

That is SOOOOOOO cool!

25. riceman

riceman

NEWS FLASH ! The 331 Triple Nickle heads are done ! New roller cam and lifters are coming. Cam specs are TOP SECERT, so don't ask. Doug and Lori are hoping to have it ready for the Kingdon Drags on September 11 & 12 in Lodi, Ca., with 8 Cackle Cars, 4 to 6 Pro Mods, Car Show and who knows what else. BE THERE !

26. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

Very cool! I was just wondering about how the car was coming!

27. riceman

riceman

I stopped by Potvin Doug's to pick up his Hilborns to mount the scoop I made. Doug wanted a support for the throttle shaft and that was fun to get it to pivot freely. He wants to paint the scoop, but I think it looks good as is. Doug asked for a simple looking scoop for that era correct look for Peterson Family dragster. I got carried away a bit. The Scoop is called "The Tater Scoop", same simple as a potato can get.

Attached Files:

28. sololobo

sololobo

Beautiful work, I love those C.D. blowers, always get chills lookin at the classic Moon Eyes digger. Thanx for sharing this incredible machine. ~Sololobo~

29. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

That looks like soooo much fun!!

30. riceman

riceman

One more part for the Monster in the Making is on the Peterson Family Dragster. The throttle shaft angle bracket is made from 1/8 5052 H32 aluminum and a bronze bushing. I cut out a poster board pattern to get the hole locations and shape. Then I chucked up the 1'' x 7/16 od x 5/16 id bronze bushing into my 1/2'' drill motor and filed a step to a .406 diameter. This bracket bolted to the scoop base two rear 10-32 bolts, radius the center edge to clear the last barrel of the Hilborns and to center it. I eyeballed where to put the 90 degree bend, scribe the bend line, clamped it into my 5'' vise and formed the bend with a 2 x 4 and mallet. The next thing would be the hard part, to get the hole for the bronze bushing at the right height for the throttle shaft. I center punch the location and drilled it with a .188'' drill and checked the center. It looked pretty right on and then I opened up the hole to .406 diameter and pressed the bushing in. The bracket bolted up fine, but the shaft was in a bind. The bushing was alittle low. I removed the bracket and took it to the belt sander to reduce the thickness at the bracket top to bring the bushing up. After 3 times on the belt sander and taking off .008'', the pivot bracket was done. The throttle shaft rotates like it wasn't even there. The bushing length was reduced so the throttle arm had plenty of shaft length to clamp on too and keeps the bushing in place.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.