Register now to get rid of these ads!

Monoleaf rear springs in an f-100?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill Van Dyke, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

I've searched a few threads on the pro's and con's of running these but can't seem to find any user comments on the ride quality. Any input? Thanks

2. couverkid

couverkid

I got a reversed eye main leaf and took out 3 leafs starting at the bottom every other one. My truck rides and sets nice. No stiff in the back anymore. I was told to do this by a guy that has built alot of F100s.Just a thought.

3. I ran them in my lowered 53 years ago. Hated them. They were OK when the truck was empty but WAY TOO SOFT with even just a Cooler full of beer and an EZ up. Heaven help you if you actually wanted to carry something in the bed.

4. Gator

Gator

I've got monoleafs on the FRONT of my '55 Chevy pickup, lowered it about 3" but it still rides like a truck - haha.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

I just noticed that Posie's makes a rear spring for F-100's that looks like a cross between a mono and a full multiple leaf rear. Need to check with them on it. They call them "dual flex".

6. Bill, I am lowering my F100 and spent a good deal of time searching the truck sites. I found most of those that have installed them do not like them. I am reversing the eyes and removing a few leafs. There are other ways also, to lower an F100, check out FTE or Slick60'S sites..............Good luck

7. What kind of motor are you running?

When i have run monoleafs in the rear on anything with more than about 80 horepower, I got quite a bit of axle-wrap. It's definitely an intersting feelin, but good is not the word I would use to describe it!:eek:

hotroddon is absolutely right, that the ride is very plush (for a truck) but basically reduces cargo capacity to about 50lbs.

8. I looked at a guys 66 that's mono in the back. I didn't ride in it but I will tell you this, ill be going spring under to lower my 66. With his fuel cell in the back full, those springs were bitching.

I bought my truck to use it as such, and mono isn't the way for me. Buts that's my two cents. Check out the fte and slick 60s sites, tons of info over there.

9. conormulroney

conormulroney

I have had the reversed eye mono leafs on the back of my truck for more than a decade. They are an easy to lower the truck with the minimum of effort/tool requirements. They do lower it about 5 inches, and using very short bump stops, there is no need for a C notch. I am only running a stock 223 6cyl, so I have never put them to the test with serious power. I've never noticed any spring wrap up. They have held up well with no change in flex or sag.

But, if I was building it now, I would not use them. I think they are very stiff unloaded and I always worry about them if I am carrying a load. There is no safety back up if the one leaf were to break. Fortunately, I don't often put a lot of weight in my truck.

When I have the spare disposable income, I am planning on using a full pack and mount the axle over the springs.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Conor

10. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Thanks for the great info guys. Mono's are tempting for a quick stance change, but ride is equally important. It's a "weekend" truck. My build thread tells a bit more. I've already installed a set of Mid 50's reversed eye 5 leaf springs but they really haven't brought it down to look right with the Heidt front end. I think it may be a matter of "sneaking" up on it to get another 3". I'll post a pic or two shortly.

11. conormulroney

conormulroney

You can relocate the front spring hangers to the top of the frame for a 2-3 (?) inch drop. I know there have been treads on that. Or, you could add extended shackles for a 2 inch drop. Just some ideas.

Conor

12. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Thanks CT. Just joined FTE under "lorolr" Bill