Register now to get rid of these ads!

monday bicycles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by purple, May 29, 2006.

1. purple

purple

I've been going through my bikes, reorganizing and moving them all to one location. Here is a pic of some old bike I have. A skinny tire single speed JC Higgins. Does anybody have a clue as to the year of this girl? I like the sprocket of course.

Attached Files:

2. Muttley

Muttley

I added some Ape Hangers and new grips to my newly acquired Dyno Von Franco today. :cool: :cool: The stock bars were terrible. :eek: :eek: I'll take some pics tomorrow.

3. Heres a pic of my Penny Farthing.
    I ride it as much as I can and will be buildin a bunch of em.
    for anyone who hasn't ridden one of these get on one and you'll want one right away......Shiny
    [​IMG]

4. haring

haring

I had a 1957 JC Higgins that looked similar and had the same main sprocket.

5. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

---71 apple crate---

Attached Files:

6. 64ragtop

64ragtop

That "Penny Farthing" is way cool! Unfortunately, I don't bounce as well as I used to! But what great visibility on the street - see and be seen!!!

7. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Dont know much about this whizzer.I got it in a trade. The bike is a Arnold Schwinn "Packard" but I have no idea what year its from. The Whizzer motor is a 49 as near as i can tell.

Attached Files:

8. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

I spent all day yesterday rebuilding a GT/DYNO VFR old school style 20" BMX bike that I nabbed at the local flea market for five bucks on Sunday. The thing was a wreck...but the frame was straight, it had some real nice wheels on it...and it was five bucks!

Everything on that bike was seized, worn out, broken, twisted, fucked up or otherwise trashed, but it came apart okay and after much effort, went back together just fine. Some muscleheaded moron stripped all the threads off the rear axle, so I broke out the tap & die set and spent an hour putting new 3/8-24 threads on the thing so the rear wheel could be mounted again. (It was just laying in the frame with the axle nuts missing when I bought it).

The rear tire had a big gash in the sidewall, which was a shame because it was a like-new Kenda Kontact, just like on the front. (Even if they did have the front one on BACKWARDS!). I went to The Place Everyone Loves To Hate and bought a new inner tube and Bell Dirtster tire for the rear, along with a set of Schwinn grips, since the bars didn't have any!

The rear tire is narrower than the front (20 x 1.75 vs 20 x 1.95) and it has an intermediate "knobby pattern" that gives the bike an agressive look, just like I had my old Redline RL-340 set up years ago.

One thing I've always done is to chuck all braking systems on my BMX bikes...they just get in the way! The brakes on this thing were seized tight, and even the bolts holding them to the frame brackets were seized in place. Out came the hacksaw followed by a little deft file work and no more brake hardware in the way!

Once I had the whole bike reassembled, I made the neccessary adjustments and took it for a quick blast around the block. The thing is absolutely suicidal...I love it! It launches like a big block Nova and handles like a C5 Vette...fast, light and nimble...just as it should be!

Of course, I haven't been on a BMX bike in years now, and after riding big old 26" tanks last summer, this thing was a trip! It needs bars with a little more rise on them and a better seat to fit me right, but it's plenty fun, and nails the old school BMX look I've always dug!

Returning from the test ride at full bore down my block was an experience, though...as I went for the driveway and realized I'd chucked the brakes...ha ha...had to blow past it and turn around while scrubbing some speed off with the old shoe just like the old days!

"Little Miss Dangerous" is gonna be my summer ride this year!

:D :cool:

9. Frank

Frank

While driving around, twice, I found a pile of bicycles someone was throwing away. Nothing old. I only took what caught my interest. Found a men's Panasonic single speed bike. All it needs is a new rear tube. I plan to customize it. It has kind of an old-school feel to it. Picked up a newer Mongoose that even had a the front disk brake. The bike was pretty beat up. I stripped it for the wheels and the neat brake. No idea what I will do with the brake assembly, but I thought it was just too cool to throw away.

10. PorkChop

PorkChop
    from Austin

Found out last year.. that my mom "accidentally" gave away my '83 PK ripper I had stashed in the attic... :(

that thing was mega cool..

Hack..

I love that old school bmx look too..they are fun to ride.. even without all the gears.. :D

11. Nice. Once I can clean out the shed I'll put up a pic or two of my Stingray lowrider I built in 1990 (complete with a 3 speed Stik-shift) and my old Corvette.

I also still have my 1986 Schwinn Sting. I wish it still had all the original parts on it, but I did race it for a while, and things needed replacing here and there. I do still have a set of window rims on it...

I love bikes. I worked as a bike mechanic all through high school and paid my college tuition by working at Schwinn shops...

12. improbcat

improbcat

The Comet and the 'Ratz' bike earlier this year. I tend to toss it in the trunk so I have something to bomb aound on at shows.

[​IMG]

The best part? The bike is only about 2 years old, I bought it on clearance as a girls 'Bratz' bike for $30. Ripped it apart, removed all the stickers, repainted the rims & frame, recovered the seat, replaced the grips & pedals, and added red pinstriping. Came out pretty decent for a $50 total investment.

more crappy pics:
    http://www.blert.net/i/lj/ratz1.jpg
    http://www.blert.net/i/lj/ratz2.jpg pinstriping details

Also have a new (but classic frame style) Schwinn Panther I picked up for $30 on clearance and added chrome fenders & whitewall tires too.
    crappy pic here:
    http://www.blert.net/i/lj/bike1.jpg

13. I still have my '82 Delta Pro Racing BMX.Still has my number plate on it too.
    My nephew has benn racing it and now my 5yo son is gonna race it at the World BMX Championships here in Victoria in 2007!Can't wait.

Porkchop,Can't believe your mom gave away your PK Ripper!
    Bet your still not talkin to her.I'm not cuz she didn't give it to me:D

My Penny Farthing is a blast to ride,except the no brakes thing:rolleyes:
    Weve had a few buddys rippin around on em and what a frickin riot!
    Thats why I gotta get buildin a bunch of em.

My buddy still has his JMC Black Shadow sittin in his moms basement,its totally mint unrestored.....Shiny

14. mikaelmtb

mikaelmtb
    from Denmark

I have been riding this SCO cargo bike for the last year three km uphill to school. :rolleyes: It has been a tough one sometimes, but its worth it all when I´m heading downhill all the way home again! :D

Its pretty much stock, but I have build a new rear wheel with a "CLark Kent" setup, the wires are bended around each other! In the beginning I wanted to restore the bike, but that still has to come. So far I like the patina, I will make a new sign for it in the summer holiday!

Attached Files:

15. plw

plw

so we can have bicycles but not hot rodded VWs, cool.

16. hemi

hemi

Here's my hoopty...a 1969 Huffy Rail with aftermarket Fueler Forks.

Attached Files:

17. is it a skip link chain?

18. '71 Schwinn 20' convertible, soon to be silver flake with gen-U-ine Fat Lucky red zodiac seat, Raleigh 20" with 36" sissy bar, WWW chrome fenders, and my "daily" Gary Fischer 58mm Tassajara.

I also have my old '88 Trek 1200, 60mm black w/ with neon pink tape.

A friend that has since passed on had a couple of Penny Farthings, old ones. Before he sold them all off I spent an afternoon riding one them all over his neighborhood, it's fun watching people TRY to ignore you.

29EHV8's seems to be of a design that would make it go in straight line a lot easier than the ones he had. It looks like it had quite a bit of trail.

I got off of his by slowing down enough and pitching myself forward, and kind jump in front. Don't think that would worth with his.

19. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

"So you dont like the old time bikes huh?"---The Simpsons

here is my hoopty parts of bikes are on it so i guess its a bike[​IMG]

20. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

great to see the variety of bikes of you all...

here is one I just finished up for a guy in California.. 1952 schwinn straightbar frame with 24x3 tires....fun ride.

[​IMG]

I'm going to be selling this one soon to make room for some new projects...hate to see it go but I'm not riding it much lately...60's schwinn with a 48cc motor on it, chopper forks and vintage stingray seat...very fun and goes about 30mph with my 165 pounds on it...

[​IMG]

21. Relay

Relay

this probably has nothing to do with this thread... but the pic of the motorized bike brought back a memory.

i was in my poncho stopped at a gas station getting some beer and cigs, and this bum walks up to me sitting in my car pushing his bike and i didnt really think twice of it. so the dude says nice car and all the usual and walks around it inspecting then he walks up to the side of the car gives me a look like check this shit out. and pulls a rip chord on the back of his bike starts up the chainsaw motor and rides off. it was good for a few laughs.

22. Nobody said there can't be an occasional off topic post. In fact, nobody said there can't be a VW post.

OT posts like this one and the VW thread get shut down when dumbasses start making stupid comments and remarks. It is the drama that kills a thread brother.

23. Rrumbler

Rrumbler

Purple, I'd guess that that piece is after about 1948, and no later than 1960. I remember when the narrower tires started to become fashionable, and it was in the late forties or so; I put one on the front of my Schwinn Whizzer framed bike as soon as I could afford one, and I believe that was about '49 or '50. Those tires are not the "English Racer" skinny tires, but I believe the size was something like 1.25 x ?? - can't remember the diameter; CRS, you know.:cool: Seems to me, that by 1960, styles were really getting cranked up to the "racing bike" thing, with three speed in hub gear sets, and caliper brakes; deraileurs were really exotic, but they were coming on strong, just like the sports car thing of the time - and looky where we've got to, now. :eek: :D

Oh, yeah; my baby brother got a new Paramount in about 1951, and it came with those tires on it. This might help you date your bike.

24. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

WHAT kinda forks are on the black bike? Its sweeet! Also what motor setup? I got my old stingray lowrider bike sittin in the shed that needs some attention and if it has a motor how much cooler would it be! thanks for the inspiration!

25. Muttley

Muttley

I picked this up a couple of weeks ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check out the rear fender:

[​IMG]
    :D :D :D

26. kentucky

kentucky

I picked this up a few years back, really need it out of the way but it's kinda cool. The top bar is adjustble so you can move it up for a boy. It has hard rubber tires. Any one know what it is?

Attached Files:

27. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

They called it a convertable (with the adjustable upper bar). Kinda neat...gimicky, but neat. You see 'em on e-gay now and again.

28. one of the more entertaining moments of life was making a u-turn in a very narrow alley on one.

29. Burny

Burny

Damn, does that bring back memories...We used to take forks of ald shitty bikes. cut 'em and press fit 'em over our forks!

30. if any one has an old Alex Singer in thier garage i am looking for one, either that or a Sunbeam.