Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Mollasses solution harm brass bushings?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dak Rat, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

Have a NOS flathead oil pump that has gotten surface rusty after decades of sitting in a box. Would like to drop it in my mollasses tank to remove the rust. Only going to leave it in long enough to clean off the surface rust. Wondering about the brass shaft bushings--any problem with the solution harming the brass? I think its safe, but was wrong once!

2. Pics would help,,,,,,,but a wire brush on a drill ,,,or even by hand will accomplish the same results.
    Is it really that rusty ?

Tommy

SEAAIRE354 likes this.
  3. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

You really need to disassemble the pump to clean check operation of pressure relief and lube it before assembly. At this time you’ll see if there is rust and most importantly pitting of the gears and machined surfaces inside. If that’s done and it’s ok then I would consider Tommy’s advice. To answer your original question I’m not sure about the molasses and bronze but I believe evapo rust is ok with yellow metals. Kroil and scotch brite is my go to for this type of thing also.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  4. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I can't say about brass, but I know molasses eats aluminum. A couple of years ago I had a cricket problem in my garage. I learned that they could be killed by using a molasses solution, so I purchased aluminum pans and filled them with the solution. Everything was going great and attracting and killing the crickets until the bottom of the aluminum pans started rotting out.

5. It will not hurt the brass but I would be inclined to use vinegar instead. It will wick in the tight places and be easier to clean after.

bill gruendeman likes this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm assuming that you are going to take the pump apart and just put the housing and end plate in the solution. Faster rust cleaning may be with Evapo-Rust that works well and just leaves a black oxide coating on the metal. I just put small items in a plastic pan, pour the Evapo-Rust in and let it work, take the parts out and pour the liquid back in the jug.

SEAAIRE354 and Tman like this.
  7. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Evapo-Rust is your friend here, cleans rust easily but doesn’t eat any metal away. Had some GM aluminum brake drums with steel/iron brake shoe surfaces that were pretty rusty. Put the drums in a plastic bin with Evapo-Rust for about 24 hours. Cleaned up rust and left a smooth gray surface on brake shoe surfaces.

8. mickeyc

mickeyc

Where would one obtain this evapo-rust product?

9. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Evapo-Rust is available at O’Reillys Auto Parts and Tractor Supply I know for sure. Probably other chain auto parts stores. Also available from Amazon.