Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Modified Roadster From Scratch -Goodguys Charlotte Thrash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by retroridesbyrich, Oct 20, 2009.

1. doc's

doc's

Nice to meet you as well....wish the weather had been a little better.

Look forward to seeing your car(s) in person as well....

2. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

bad ass rich ! that things really coming together

3. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Well, all I can say is this last minute thrash was the gift that kept on giving. A lot of stress was put in motion by a worker at the engine shop that lied about having checked the compression and having the cam timed correctly, which kept me from getting the car dialed in last week. Most importanly I was not affforded the time to order smaller jets for the carbs and get those webers dialed in and road test the car.

The little things that I may mess up on at 4 AM I can handle and usually catch; like Saturday evening at the speedway where I'm adjusting the brakes because there's a rubbing sound. Turns out it wasn't the brakes, rather it was those drum/axle retainer thingies that were squeeling - problem solved.

The jetting issue raised it's head not once, but twice more. Went to fire the up on Sanday morning and the plugs are fouled, cleaned them up with a torch. Drive the car in to the awards area and then I had a few hours to walk around and look at at stuff. Everyhting was going well untill the car would not fire, because the plugs fouled again and I couldn't make the award presentation. Oh well. (Why would Kirk and Brandon pick a car that can't even run right for an award???)

The good stuff about the weekend:

I was honored being chosen to get the Staff Pick by Kirk and Brandon, thank you guys very much!

Another big big plus was the huge number of HAMBers that I got to meet - Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. It was fantastic to see you all.

At the very top of the list; it was very special to meet my new friends Ed (Sota) and Brett (Brett4Christ) I had a great time with you guys!

Ed, your offer for help was greatly appreciated.
    Hey Brett, can I buy a box of those brownies for me and Doc?

It was a pleasure to see the host of the HAMB Meet and Greet,Jeffrey James once again, and the rest of the Iron Lords. I hear that there was a foiled attempt at stealing an 11/16 wrench, if you guys weren't such a bunch of pusses you would have beat that guy up !

I'm going to rest for a little bit; it's been a long two weeks; thanks for eveything.

One more thing, another big shout out to my Friend Doc - I wouldn't have made it without your help. You and Caren are such good friends to me and Susan.

Here's a couple of pics - Mission accomplised - Made it Charlotte!

Attached Files:

4. sota

sota

Rich, congrads on the Goodguys pick.I never heard of fouling plugs running Webers before (LOL}! This is what is mine right now (remember mine is not running right off idle yet)

F16 EMUSION TUBE
    145 MAIN JETS
    180 AIR CORRECTOR JET
    55F8 IDLE JET
    045 PUMP JET
    32 CHOKE

This is what I was told today to try

F11 EMUSION TUBE
    115 MAIN JET
    200 AIR CORRECTOR JET
    45F9 IDLE JET
    040 PUMP JET
    30 CHOKE
    If this works I'll let you know.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad you made it to the show. Gary

6. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Ed, That's the best information I've gotten yet. I'll mess with the Webers next week. This week all I want to do is NOT touch those things! (LOL)

It was really great to meet you. We'll have to get togther at a show with you and your budy and have a "Modified Fest" at a show!

7. Rich, It was MY pleasure to meet YOU my friend! Great modified and well deserved recognition of a true craftsman! (Yes, YOU, Rich!)

Thanks again for the advice. I'll be getting some cutting discs this week and hope to start the rework next week! Just gotta jump in.......

We'll have to get together soon! And I'll bring the brownies! (Family recipe!)

8. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

You're too kind Brett. The Rich you met wasn't the real one. I was trying to "come down" from being waaaaaaaaaaaay too stressed out; I'm actually a little more civalized, just a little.:D

Now get busy on that front end and get those parts for that other project!

9. Graham08

Graham08

That is amazing! It really came out nice. Hope you get your Webers dialed in...but it looks like its going 100 mph sitting there!

Now that it's done, what sort of hoops are you going to have to jump through to get it titled and registered? I know every state is different, but that is the one part of a scratch build that I haven't been able to get my head around.

Did you put some sort of VIN plate on the chassis somewhere?

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Rich it was nice talking to you again. Thank Modified was nothing short of amazing. Glad all you guys stopped by for some good food and drinks.

11. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

absolutely stunning Rich.....love this car

12. Old School Brush

Old School Brush

Way to go Rich. It brought tears to my eyes to know you got it finished and made it to LMS, and it's Sweeeeet, you da man!:D

13. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Rich your stuff is too frekn cool ..congrads

14. shadetreerodder

shadetreerodder

Saw the car Saturday nice to see some pics of the chassis. That car is well detailed. Love the Ford OHC 4.

15. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

we need a video

16. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW!!!! Turned out just AWESOME!! Love it!!! Glad to see it all worked out!!!

17. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

As a point of interest and as a thank you, the teary eyed :) Old School Brush did the lettering and striping. I can always count on Harold.

Attached Files:

18. Zeds dead baby - Zeds dead!

19. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

Just another fan I am!

Like 2 see the Ace of Spade's
    sitting next 2 it.

20. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

It's funny you mention that...

I was going to bring the Ace, but because I had bigger fish to fry I only brought the one car.

I was supposed to have new RRbR T shirts with both Modifieds on it in time for the show, but the T shirt art guy is full of sh*t and never got the art done. So, now I'm looking for a new artisit that can do what I have in mind.

21. varodder

varodder

I saw your car at Goodguys.....stopped me in my tracks.....awesome!:eek::D

22. Hey Richie, you built another winner there. I don't mean a trophy queen either. Great job buddy. If your still having problems with those Webbers, Jim I. and I e-mail each other almost everyday. Might be able to hook you up.

Take care Brother and thanks for the heads up. I'll have to subscribe to this thread. Time to crash now, been busy on my site all night.

23. Man, that thing makes me smile every time I see it. I especially like the name.

24. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Thanks, I thought Thimble Drome was appropriate.

25. jh96ss

jh96ss

So that's what it looks like assembled...The car looks friggin awesome Rich

Jeremy

26. hotdamn

hotdamn

you know ol jeffrey james is pretty handy with the design art stuff.

just sayin.

Was good to hang with you this weekend and as always was great to see you latest creation even though you are a wrench thief...

27. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

It was good seeing you again. I didn't know Jeffrey did t shirt design work. I did notice he likes flannel though! :D You guys should come up here some time, I'll buy the beer!

28. Very cool! Simple, clean and great attention to detail. Love it!

29. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Rich,
    Found these and thought about you.

Later,
    Kevin

Attached Files: