Register now to get rid of these ads!

Modified Murray update: IT ROLES!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I'm enjoying the snot out of this build and really liking the way this car is turning out, but I have one bit of criticism. Your frame is, no doubt, very stout (I love the 90° bend rectangular tubing BTW) but if the upright in the rear of the frame was closer to a 45° rather than a 90°, your chassis would be subjected to far less bending force through acceleration or even through the course of navigating bumps on the road. I'm no engineer, but I kinda-sorta get Bridge Building 101.

Gonna be awesome, regardless.

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the compliments AND for the criticism! I agree with you man. It's at 79* right now. I figured it would be a little more ideal around 60*. The ONLY reason it didn't happen that way is because of the way I set up the rear suspension and how it had to get mounted. Making it 60* would have meant increasing the wheel base by a few inches or it would have meant the rear crossmember would have been inside the body more. Didn't want either of those things, so I had to comprimise somewhere. Attention to my welds and the sheer mass of the frame will help things. I'll be doing some more gusseting as well to help with strength.

I miss workin' on this thing. Just rolling it out and doing some sketches will make me happy. :)

I've decided after I get the frame fully welded, the shopping list will turn to a Mopar steering box and a steering wheel so I can get the drivers position finalized and also start planning my under cowl structure to support the steering, master cylinders, electrical, etc.

3. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I figured you knew what you wuz doin'!

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NAAAHH!!! It sounds like I do though, huh?! :D ;) :D LOL!

5. nexxussian

nexxussian

Drove my 'A' before we rodded it. No sway bars, no panhard or watts. It would wobble down the road (kingpins, etc were tight). I'm sure you could get used to it, but it was unnerving for someone that isn't.

6. AHotRod

AHotRod

Your doing a great job, and I like how you have been creative.