Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Modified Murray - The Final Chapter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Hell yeah Scoot more hemi's in the South! You will totally dig it. I lived in El Toro for 25 years then moved here 6 years ago. Don't regret it one bit (except for no surf). Way more fun hot rod drag strips and garage parties here.

2. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Very nice work.

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Admit it, you moved to North Carolina because it's a days drive to the HERSHEY MEET in October. Welcome to the East Coast! Bob

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haha! Seriously some funny stuff. I had to add (Part 1) to the title of the thread... :rolleyes:

And actually, I do think I'm sort of a ginger. Not as bad as Jeremy the other James, though! :D:D

Thanks again for all the well-wishes!

5. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i have nothing constructive to add other than my congratulations. but i do keep coming back to the thread to laugh my ass off.

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That looks like HOTDAMN's family reunion.

Yes more Hemis!!! I can't wait to see yours soon.

I'm gonna make him go. It's on my list of things to do this year or next.

Don't throw me under the bus you son of a bitch!!!!

[​IMG]

Oh keep laughing, you're going to get wrapped up in this mess somehow. Sooner or later they'll find dirt on you.....

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually, it was sort of aimed at Jeremy. :rolleyes::D Wow... So sensitive!

8. hotdamn

hotdamn

you know the funny thing is everyone is alway going on about JJ and jeremy being gingers when I am actually the only one with red hair...

JJ has a hint of red in is beard, Jeremys beard is full on red but both of them have sandy blond hair...

of course with pomade in mine you cant really tell until I get all 1969 81 SF on ya grow my hair and beard out :)

but all of the hijacked ot bs aside,

Scooter I am stoked as hell to have you as a neighbor bro!!!

9. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

Congratulations on the move and life changes. Hope everything goes great, and I can't wait to see more progress on the build!

10. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Good luck on the move man.....Sounds like it's going to be good.

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wonder how far from Austin, Charlotte is... Hmmmm...

Thanks everyone! Just found out that I start the new job April 16th. But unfortunately we won't close on the house for a couple weeks after that. So, probably not going to make the "BIG MOVE" until mid to late May.

This gives me some time to get some epoxy sealer on the body and get the car back together so it can go on a trailer. I'm looking in to some shrink wrap stuff to put over that, even.

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Just think, now you can go to the Billetproof Drags, Billetproof, and Turkey Run. They are all within striking distance of Charlotte,

Don

13. hammeredabone

hammeredabone

Scotter, Sorry to see you go but can't say I blame you. Best wishes for a uneventfull move. I hope you get to meet Tony (Dog Patch)and his friends, they are good people.
    Let me know if there is anything I can do on this end to help with the move. Gordon

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Seeing the Murray in one of those boat shrink wrap cacoons might make it look like a Bonneville project. :D http://alaskashrinkwrap.com/

15. 73RR

73RR

1200 miles to Austin or Abilene...:D

16. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seriously some really nice comments here! And it is appreciated more than words can convey! :cool::cool:

Getting back on track, for a bit. Here's some progress pictures of the battle to get this thing back together so it can go on a trailer.

I have to send a HUGE thank you out to my buddy Eric (Chevy54) for coming out and showing me some better methods for filler application and some great sanding tricks. What a huge help it was! It changed the whole ball game actually seeing someone lay down filler the right way.

And before someone says it... YES! There is filler. If I could go back and start over with the car everything would be metal finished, but being that I had to learn as I went, there are some things that I'm not proud of. But, they are working themselves out.

So here goes...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rear trim piece all sealed and riveted!

[​IMG]

Then it was on to etch-priming the interior panels, floor and trans tunnel, as well as the bottom side, followed by panel sealer for any gaps that couldn't be welded, then topped with 2K grey primer. Now I'm already for LIZARD SKIN! I'll be applying BOTH the Sound Control and Ceramic Insulation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Came in late last night and finished off the bottom of the body and prepped the trans tunnel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The big thing that kind of blows about the timing is, there is more body work to be done. Haven't even started on the doors. So, it's still a solid month from being ready for final prime, seal, and color. To get it ready for the trip, I'm going to seal the exterior of the body with black epoxy sealer, then put it back on the chassis, and start packing things up. Once the car gets to its new home, I'll pull it off again, sand off the sealer, and start finishing things up.

18. Looks awesome, Scooter! Will the Lizard Skin go on in Cali or Caroline?

19. oj

oj

Moveing huh? Hateful process. But, the really, really great thing about getting to the right coast is you get to make the JALOPYSHOWDOWN! Dude! that is worth the move by itself and guess what! The JALOPYRAMA!

20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The majority of the LS will go on here. It will help protect the body and it will be much easier to apply at this stage. Plus, Mr. Casny was nice enough to lend me the applicator gun, so I want to use it while I've got it. I'll have to do more later, though. Firewall and inside the doors will have to be done in NC.

Yep! I HATE moving. I guess it's just necessary sometimes, though.

I've heard great things about both of those shows. I've been to quite a few West Coast events. Never been to an East (ish) Coast event of any kind.

21. May will initiate you to the "right" life! Then there's July.....

22. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, I'm guessing the car will not see final finish work until after summer because of the heat and all that mess. But, that will give me some time to get the garage all set up, get a new compressor, run the lines, etc. Not to mention some of the projects we'll have going on IN the house when we first move in (painting, maybe some flooring, etc.).

Hoping next year to get going on the new building for the shop space.

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Buying a house is one thing ( we built ours) but buying one 3,000+ miles away must be quite a story in itself. Bob

24. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Oh Scooter isn't making that crazy of a decision. From where he's at to where he's going is on 2483 miles so that's actually pretty close :D

I can't wait to see how this Lazard skin works out. I think it's gonna be awesome and I'll probably regret not getting some for my '35.

25. Actually, I was talking about the 2 big "local" summer events....Steel in Motion and Heavy Rebel Weekender!

26. From the picture above, one more redhead in NC may upset the balance of nature- you may just have to come down here, Scooter :D

Bob- I hear you! The move from Philly to Winder was tough... and my "two stall garage" is OVERFULL with two cars :mad:- next time, I bring the measuring tape:rolleyes:.

27. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I need and invite to that one then. ;)

About 1200 miles, the same to the HAMB Drags as well. You can make it in about 20 hours of straight driving :D

and welcome to NC.

28. true! wish it wasn't so far away, but will be a good excuse to make a trip to the east one day to see you both. oxoxo
    and as always.... can't wait to see the future progress of this beauty.

29. BarryA

BarryA

Congrats Scott. I'll continue quietly following this awesome build!!
    And of course now that you're going to be living that little bit closer, I may have to pop by and see it in person someday;)
    Good luck with the whole moving thing man!

30. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Update in a bit! Gotta' get my pictures off the camera. I made HUGE progress this weekend!!! Lizard skin is mostly done and I riveted the roof together...

Christie! We will call you and tell you what's going on! So bummed we didn't get to see more of you and the boys more this year! :(

Thanks man!! And you're welcome any time! ;) Why did I think you lived in Riverside or something?? :confused: