Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Modified Murray - Race to the road! Progress in Review!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Looking good Scott. The trim piece on the rear looks really good. Are you going to rivet it on?

2. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Yes. Looking great, man. Keep the updates coming.

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks everyone! YEAH! I'm SUPER excited!! I can feel that "BURN" now. That extra motivation to just push and get it done! Down-hill momentum, if you will...

Yep!! That trim piece will be riveted in place. When the car is all together, it will hardly even be noticeable, but it's there and if someone is paying attention they'll see the detail.

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't mind the sanding part to some extent. REDOING things is what I hate, so I'm going to make sure things are as straight as possible first. I've got the Rage Extreme, Quantum finishing putty, and a sh!t ton of abrasives! I'm ready to jam!

5. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Looking good Scoot......cant wait to see you blast past me on PCH ! ! !

6. cruzr

cruzr

Scott is a craftsman extraordinare.................!!

I giive this build 5 thumbs up

7. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

You've got a lot of thumbs :)

Looks good.

Go Team Ginger, go.

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Team Ginger!!! HAHAHAHAHA! Yeah! :D:D

Thanks guys! Juggling a 100 things when I'm not working on it to make sure parts are here when I need them, and stuff like that. CRAZY! Good thing I don't mind a little planning! YIKES!

9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Neat stuff. Love the fab work. In the just wondering department, have you considered a navigator / passenger foot rest like those that are used in rally cars? It's like a big dead pedal that the navigators can use to brace their bodies under braking and in the turns. You could probably make it to match your driver's side foot well on the bottom and then do some sort of kickup / brace. Gary
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the words! And YES! I actually am thinking of making something for the passenger to brace themselves with. Right now, the cover for the oil filter that is on the passenger side comes in and provides a place, but anyone that might have short legs may not find it a comfortable position. I'm right there with you on that idea. Figured I would get it on the road and then see how I felt about it.

I may have to make a foot cup of some kind for my right foot to control the throttle pedal as well. Another thing that I'll just have to wait and see.

11. -Brent-

-Brent-

12. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Im loving all the little details Scott, keep it up your getting close!

13. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Holy Crap I just read this from start to finish and needless to say its awesome!!!!

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Forgot to add, many years ago I saw a rally car that had a foot brace made of tubing, like a short version of a modified bumper. So it was open instead of a box. The front still had the plate to brace yourself. What was interesting is that the whole rig was mounted on a manual seat frame, so the brace could be adjusted to different sized navigators. Clever? Gary

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  15. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Scott, you are a MAD MAN!
    VERY nice work!

Malcolm

16. I'll bet everyone wishes they had a "JerBear"!!!

Bee's Knees, Bro!

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awww shucks! You guys are too nice! :eek::eek:

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the words.

Been staying at the shop after work every night for a few hours just to try and knock a task or two off the list. Last night I TIG'd up all the garnish moldings. They just need to be smoothed out and stripped for prep and paint now. That felt good!

So officially, the previous pictures are the last you guys are going to see of this thing until final assembly. I'll start a thread when it comes time and link it up. The rest is going to be a surprise. I may do some typed updates, but no more visuals till the next thread.

OH! Something else I'm really excited about is the seat covers for the buckets! We have all the materials, and my wife is going to start playing around with the Juki straight stitcher to get the feel of it. So far we only have about $150 invested in materials for the seats, including needles for the machine to do both seats. And we bought our refurbed Industrial Juki machine for $200! Quotes I got for making seat covers that are SIMILAR to what I want are all round $500 or so. So not only are we saving a TON of money and learning how to do it ourselves, BUT, we ALSO get to keep the Juki machine for other projects AND we get to keep the knowledge as well! :D:D

18. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Don't forget the new upholstery business is a great benefit as well.

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tell that to Holly!! :D:D

20. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

You don't TELL her anything, you only suggest it or beg for it.:D

21. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Scott it will blow you away how much you'll save. I did my buddies 62 tbird interior (everything but the headliner) for about a grand all in. It would have cost about 3-4 if we got someone to do it for us. Plus I've lined up a couple jobs from people seeing it and asking who did it.

On a side note you better paint that thing fast, I dont think we have the patience to wait for final assembly without picture updates :D

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

DAMN! That '52 Chevy hood looks great!:D

23. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haha! Thanks man! And yeah, saving a boat load is good! That's the reason for the DIY paint, as well. I could NEVER feel good about hiring someone to paint this car for what they would charge. :eek:

24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It sure as hell does!!!! :D:D:D That worked out GREAT! :cool:

25. No pictures until final assembly!!! This is bullshit and I won't stand for it.

26. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Don't worry, I bet he can't stand to NOT post any photos! Wanna start a pool for the next photo posted? Gary

27. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

After we follow you all of this time you treat us like a sitcom and give us the old "to be continued"?!?!?! Just for that Im stopping by the shop and house every other day to check on progress.

28. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Well played! (bring your camera :D)

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Has there been any talk anout a debut date on this build?

30. volksjunky

volksjunky

Holy shit! I thought I was subscribed to this, but apparently wasn't...
    Looks amazing man !