Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Modified Murray - Race to the road! Progress in Review!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jan 19, 2010.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Dave! Only going to cut and polish where the worst of it is. The runs/droops have to be cut as well. They are OF COURSE right where the whole world can see them! :( Couldn't be on the bottom or something, could they?!

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

She's a real Beaut Clark.

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Merry Christmas! Shitter was full!" :D

Geesh... It's almost X-mas again... :eek::eek:

4. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

The paint looks awesome....can't wait to see it all together

5. Looks great Scott. Those are going to be tough pieces to cut and polish as Druss32 mentioned. Lots of edges where paint will be thin and easy to burn through.

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The areas I'm going to focus on are curved or flat. All the edges actually turned out pretty good. Going to leave them alone. I have a run on the gas tank and two droops/sags on the top of the grill shell away from the edges. Should be pretty easy to cut down and polish out. Probably the best case scenario, actually. The over-spray and slight orange peel is in opportune places as well. I should be okay if I'm careful.

Question is, how does a person cut and polish a small area? Should I plan on doing it by hand? This will be the first thing I've ever cut and polished.

7. My biggest concern would be it they are in obvious areas the small polished area may stand out from the rest of the unpolished area and you are going to want to polish the whole piece once you start. Not the easiest pieces learn to polish on.

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YEP! I totally agree 110%. Unfortunately for the runs, they have to be cut, but yeah, I'll be leaving anything alone that I can "live with". Especially places that won't even be seen.

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never seen those little tools. Interesting. Ever tried any of them?

I was just going to tape-off around the sag/droop/run and cut it down with the back edge of a razor blade, then start with 1200 or 1500 and work down to 2000 then polish with 3M compound.

10. This will leave you with a highly polished square and a surround that is not and will be super obvious. If you are going to try and spot polish you will need to blend it out into the surrounding areas.

If you could find someone with this 3M system that you could borrow you would be golden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZNB0HLqhnU

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was just going to mask around the run while doing the initial cutting with a razor to prevent from going to deep and to protect the area around it in case of a slip-up. Not while blending. I agree, that would leave a real obvious touch-up. Pull the tape after cutting down the run, then start knocking it down and blending with the rest of the panel. I will more than likely HAVE to do most of the part after I'm done cutting down the runs. They are in really obvious places and blending is going to be the key for sure.

Thanks for the video K13! That is a KILLER system!! Looks expensive! HAHA!

12. It's 3M of course it is expensive:D

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haha! Yep!

What compound (or compoundS) do you recommend for final cut and blending? I assume I need the initial cut and then the final blending compound, right?

14. -Brent-

-Brent-

I'd give it 5, yes FIVE, Scooter heads.

[​IMG]

Really nice work, Scott!

Attached Files:

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yes!!!!! Thanks for bringing the Scootie Tang Heads back Brent!

16. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Stuff looks great Scott. Congrats on getting more color on.

17. N8B

N8B

Man that has been awhile.

Fantastic Job Scott. You will be bringing that baby up to Vegas in now time.
    You continue to amaze me with your skills and abilities and I thought I knew ya pretty good.

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So I haven't done much of any updates lately. Been really busy, but haven't been taking a lot of pictures. Just been putting the hammer down, but also have had a lot of stuff to do at home... And... Well... I bought another project to do after I work on all my other projects. :rolleyes::eek:

Since most of the exterior bolt-on stuff has paint on it now, I've been focusing my attention on the doors and the body. Mostly the doors. I put patch panels in the doors awhile back, but wasn't happy with the seams after I was done. So I went back and straightened those out. Lots of hammer and dolly work as well as using the shrinking dist and redoing parts of the seam. They are going to get a little filler, but they're not too shabby overall. The front and trailing edges of the panels needed attention as well so the door gap was correct. MORE finessing...

Inside bottom of both doors was completely rotted out. So far I've reconstructed the passenger side, but still have to do the driver's side.

Chop seams on both doors had to be finished as well as making the window retainer and garnish molding mounts from scratch. Looking good, but MAN, it was a ton of work. Never dreamed these doors would need this much attention. :eek::eek:

Here's how they're shaping up, though...

[​IMG]

Simple bend with 18 gage and some slots to replace it.

[​IMG]

tacked

[​IMG]

For some reason I didn't take any pictures between that stage and the final product. But you get the idea.

Here's the window retainer I had to make...

[​IMG]

What was left of the old one sitting next to it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't mind the ugly screws. They're just for mock up. Gotta' get the correct ones yet.

[​IMG]

Next I had to modify that piece so the garnish molding could be screwed in place. Sort of complicated. Needed angle recesses to match up to the shape of the garnish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8-32 inserts installed

[​IMG]

The door is shaping up nicely! You can see the finished bottom now, and I also removed the door upholstery hooks and filled them.

[​IMG]

With the garnish in place

[​IMG]

And the two doors in place after the work

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh... And the future project. Couldn't pass this up. My buddy Jack was selling it and I've always wanted a coupe. I've been told that it should be turned into a Fordor! HAHA! :rolleyes::D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I put it WAY up on the shelf so I don't mess with it! :D:D

[​IMG]

20. jipp

jipp

you do great work. very nice. i love the very first photo i saw of your car all laid out on your shop floor very artistic yet industrial at the same time.. your whole car all laid out.. thats my wall paper now.. its fucking cool. thanks.
    chris.

21. cruzr

cruzr

Scott............you truly are a dedicated Hot Rodder !!

22. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm psychotic, is what I am! HAHA! :eek::eek: Thanks buddy!

Thanks man! That was fun doing all that! :)

23. Nice work Scott. That little shit sure sucks up a lot of time but make for a nice completed package in the end.

24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys! :cool:

Yeah, seriously... They were a pain. The driver's side piece should go much faster, though. Going to transfer the template to the other side. Need to chop the garnish down to match the other side, now. Then I can do that one.

Looking forward to moving on to the rest of the body. Almost to that point!

25. I've been told that it should be turned into a Fordor! HAHA! :rolleyes::D

I'm still sticking with my original suggestion...Bwaahahahaha!

26. llonning

llonning

Damn!! You continue to amaze me!! I just hope when I can get back to mine I can make it look as good as you are.

Len

27. michev

michev

Nice work Scott.

Mike

28. 73RR

73RR

...damn engineers and all of their little details...:eek::D

Jealous??? Who, me?????

29. Absolutely awe inspiring, Scott!!! :eek:

I'm glad to see it all coming together, and still taking the time to do it right!:)

30. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just seen the comments. Thanks guys!

Yesterday (or maybe it was the day before) it dawned on me that I may be painting when the weather isn't too favorable! Worried now! :(:eek: Going to have to warm up the shop pretty good before getting down to business, when time comes.