Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Modified has got its eyes back...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blackjack, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Put all the parts of the Modified's headlight together yesterday; the resilvered reflectors, halogen bulb holders, new nickle surrounds and cleaned up lenses (ran them through the dishwasher - works really well). Mounts are altered to take motorcycle bullet indicators. Obviously, I need to change the silver duct tape for black and punch some holes in the cardboard....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    lothiandon1940, Ned Ludd and bct like this.
  2. Nice lights, they came out real good.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Look sharp.

4. oj

oj

A good set of headlights are one of those things where you shock yourself on how much you have invested in them. You know you'll spend a lot on carburetors or that perfect steering wheel but headlight costs will make those little voices in your head go silent.
    I like 'em.

5. Cost was even more over here. The good shells were £125 for the pair ($150). The new nickel plated rims were £100 or $125 US. The lens were £75, £30 for the halogen conversion and £70 to have the reflectors resilvered. The other bits were probably another fifty quid.

So all in, about $450 American. Would have been a lot cheaper over on your side.

I'm expecting that the beam they put out will be absolutely pants - so I'm also going to fit a spot and a driving light.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  6. Here are the bowls and stands;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. I was going to order a windscreen frame to fit to the 4" chopped pillars I already have but with the Dollar Sterling rate being really bad, I looked at another way.

I decided to fit the glass straight to the pillars. I machined up a crossbar from solid 1" aluminium round bar. It has a slot for the glass and is drilled and tapped to take the mirrors I put together a few weeks ago from spares I had lying around the workshop. The hand cranked wiper is hanging where I need to mount it.
    [​IMG]

8. Getting a bit nearer... Made a cardboard template for the hood yesterday. I will make the hood panel in 1.5mm ally with wire rolled edges and leather hold down straps. I might paint it or I might even engine turn it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]