Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Modified Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beau, Feb 1, 2012.

1. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

My project is very cramped, and there aim much wikle room. I need to build something like this
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427211834.374602.jpg

Because I have such a tight engine bay, and I got to modify everything, and still has to keep within the tight bounderys of the Danish regulations. The SD1 cast iron double rear dump manifold is good, but too wide for my use

But I most confess that I like your build, and I can only applaud you use of engine, but a Rover is all Alu V8 2.0 to the beta version you got

But I love the intake you got, and I found a weber intake for 2 triple webers, and a intake with 4 double webers, that rock my boat. And one like yours, but there can't be many around.

Beau likes this.
  2. Beau

Beau

The headers I have are 25" outside to outside and are symmetrical on each side.

The cast Land Rover headers are 26" wide but are not symmetrical. The right side header stick out a tad bit more than the left and the flange is up a bit higher. DSC01721.JPG DSC01719.JPG 215.jpg DSC01720.JPG

Edit- Have you considered running the outlets out the front side of the engine? And old fella I know has a turbo set up on a Olds 215 and he aimed the stock Olds manifolds forward and connected them. Worked real nice.

I also do not have much room. With the clutch, steering and wishbone I'm just barely clearing it all. I want to run hood sides so it's a tight fit.

I have three other engines and a pile of parts. Late on I will build a stroker using a Rover block. I just need to wait for more of them get sold for parts. I'd love to see those Weber manifolds too!!!!

I think this one came off a Defender. It was listed as a Stromberg Carb, but it's just a plain old S.U. Not sure when I will use it, but I had to have one.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    loudbang likes this.
  3. TigerFan

TigerFan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Athens, GA

What a great build! Please keep it going.

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Sorry for the thread jacking, but I value your info!

I go and measure my engine bay, next time I'm at the shop. I should look ind to those LR headers.
    I reckon that I have a very small amount of space under those exhaust manifold and down to my very large front crossmember.
    I got a framdless car, with IFS like between a 1940 Chevy and a tri-five Chevy. And I can't cut the fenders out and run fenderwell headers.

I will look in to the possibility of running two left side manifolds on my car.

And those Stromberg variable venturies is a good carb. But they are not a SU. They are the 2.0 upgrade over the beta testing that the SU is. The run good and strong, but if you want more "umph", they will give you a small and limited adjustment between slight excess of fuel or major over the top rich. And as well as they work performance wise, they are not as adjustable as a 4barrel properly tuned.
    But for a stock set up they are very versetail.
    That set up came in cars and LR except FI vanden plas and some TVRs. Not only the land rover. Land rover is between 90-120hp. Cars is between 120-200hp depending on the cam.

Are you gonna run 3 pedal? I like it even more now!

5. Beau

Beau

[​IMG]

I don't care if you post. I don't get to chat with many other 215 people and the info is REAL hard to find. We gotta stick together and help each other out :)

I'm running a Borg Warner T5 from a Chevy Camaro with an S-10 tailshaft (not traditional but it's a tough engine to find a manual trans). V6 Chevy S-10 clutch that I had to have adapted to the stock flywheel. It's all hooked up using a Chevy Vega clutch cable and modified Ford F1 truck pedals.

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Hey good to know

Yhe BW bellhousing is good too build you own adapter, just a flat plate boltet in plases og the gearbox, and then mascine to any gearbox with a removeable bellhousing :)
    Im planning to run an Volvo/Getrag HD 4 speed I have from behind a V6 '76 Volvo 264.

Does manifolds swap side to side?
    Your manifols splits right below the head gasket? and the rest in the video is a downpipe with flexpipe in it?

There is some info to be had along with parts from Rimmer brothers and Britishv8.org They have a lot and share.
    Do you plan to hop it up? and do you have both Buick and Rover?

http://onywedagyk.netai.net/rover-v8-35-parts.php

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    Beau likes this.
  7. Beau

Beau

The pics I posted with the cast iron exhaust manifolds are a spare block I use for mock up. Just to show you what the Rover manifolds look like. The headers with the flex joints are the ones I'm running.

The exhaust manifolds will swap to each side. Buick, Olds and Rover all shared the same exhaust manifold bolt pattern too. So they can all be used. The Buick and Rover heads look more like a Nailhead though. The intake manifolds are also interchangeable.

Not sure how your set up is, but the front side of the oil pan offers a bit of clearance if you had them exit out the front. The pics of the engine bay look about like mine. So room!

I have three Olds engines and one Buick right now. I plan to run the engine I got going for a while, while I build a second engine that's hopped up. As you know, they are very expensive to rebuild.

That 2-2 intake you posted is an Offy intake that is still being produced. The rest of those are pretty rare.

8. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Those pics is from my photo collection, and non of them is mine. But I wish they where! I contacted the firm that build those headers, to get the same measurements, an iirc they are 25" inch when on the mill.

This is the car as build, and two of them is from when it was a gasser:
    http://s200.photobucket.com/user/volvobrynk/library/amazing amazon 1

And this is as found:
    http://s200.photobucket.com/user/volvobrynk/library/amazing amazon 2

So a lot has changed. But that engine compartment is tight, that front crossmember intrudes in the pan and the brake is for single circuit, I plan on run dual circuit.

And this is an empty bay: ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427298468.434902.jpg

The rover heads is an improved head compared to yours, better flow, better valve train and SD1 got better chamber size/shape.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  9. Beau

Beau

So much has been happening as usual. We started our move to our new property and my future shop space. I have had to sell off, give away and throw away lots of stuff. Another month and I will be out of Minneapolis and into the valley of Southeast Minnesota. The first time I will have a shop and place to live within walking distance.

I picked up a second spring pack from Titus a while back. I needed to add a little bit of height in the back. I had the springs and the rear wishbone blasted and painted it all. I still need to get some cash to get the brake parts bearings and seals for the rear end.

I did get my flywheel ground finally. I got all the clutch and tarns stuff done and assembled it all this evening. It turned into more of a job than I expected, but everything is bolted in now. I'm hoping to get things rolling before I move. There's still a large list of things to do and parts to buy.

The lady and I. She's still remained with me through all this and is usally with me at the shop 90% of the time.
    engine 2.jpg

Offy covers are installed now. engine.jpg
    Our new place in the hills.
    11014671_10101239492364800_2137176742063217470_n.jpg My new home....err... shop! Heat, 220v and storage in the attic with a stairway to it!

10389253_10100947862064260_7417029253256722947_n.jpg

bct, plumbid, daddio211 and 4 others like this.
  10. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

LIVING THE DREAM NOW!

Beau likes this.
  11. Beau

Beau

I have been gathering rear brake parts, bearings and seals to wrap up the rear axle. I'm still trying to track down some e-brake arms for the rear drums. I have been cleaning and painting parts in the meantime. I had a tiny alternator off a Chevy Sprint engine I have for my mini. I don't have any room left for a generator, otherwise I would run that. Using parts I had at the shop and a little drilling I was able to tuck the little fella right in. I went through the box of belts we have at the shop and found a size that worked perfect. alternator1.jpg alternator.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  12. Beau

Beau

shock1.jpg shock2.jpg shock3.jpg shock4.jpg shock5.jpg shock6.jpg shock7.jpg shock8.jpg shock9.jpg I finally got around to the shock mounts. I wanted something a little different, but still simple. I used the bottom mount from a Ford F1 shock mount, a section from a headlight bar and a spacer. I had a buddy tig and braze the pieces together for me. How does the headlight location look? Opinions are welcome and wanted. Thanks.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Okay, side view and dead ahead is gorgeous!

But this one down low, with steelies, small moon, hood, 32 shell, headlamp and Baby nail head, I don't know if I'm turn on or in love!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430107294.709807.jpg

Only thing that would make it better is a little nerf bar/headlight bar that goes between the shock mounts.
    That would be a good protecter of the grill insert in general, and look very old school.

Just my two cents.

And patiently waiting for more pics,
    Where is the one with the body on, and you in the driving position make engine noises?

Beau and patmanta like this.
  14. Beau

Beau

I have a piece of stainless to maybe use for a headlight bar. Not sure if I want to go that direction yet. I think I'm gonna move the lights in just a tad. When I mocked them up last year I noticed I had the lights in a bit more. I'm still trying to get the rear e-brake levers for the rear brakes and then I can get the rear axle done. After that, I gotta run brake lines. One the gas tank is sealed up and a line ran, it should be a running, driving chassis! sheadlight difference.JPG

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  15. Beau

Beau

5.jpg Hopefully, the last time I need to check some clearances and finish up the body. Crossing my fingers, but I might have the body work and primer on before I move. :) If I can get some e-brake arm I can run my brakes. Seal up the gas tank and it will be running and stopping! Just a little steering work. Getting closer...but that's what I said two years ago! 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      97.3 KB
      Views:
    daddio211, '52 F-3, bct and 3 others like this.
  16. stephane-rod

stephane-rod
    from france

Great look

Beau likes this.
  17. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

That is sweet!

Beau likes this.
  18. Beau

Beau

Thanks fellas and thanks for following the build.

19. ScooterCO

ScooterCO
    from Parker, CO

Well, you have done a fine job on that little ride you are cooking up! She looks first rate.
    When are you closding on the new place? We are all dying to hear more about it.

20. With the ingredients you're kickin' into this build ... it's really hard to not follow. Big fan of that 300lb engine and its 3 pedals man. BAdASS.

loudbang, volvobrynk and Beau like this.
  21. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I think you've got it JUST RIGHT now!

volvobrynk and Beau like this.
  22. Beau

Beau

Once I get the 16x5.5 tires on the front, it should drop the front to where I want it. It's still a bit leveled off right now. I broke down and ordered new e-brake arms so it will be dangerously close to being able to drive it on to a trailer for the move.

We move in three weeks. We are lucky enough to pretty much just pay property tax, utilities and upkeep on the property while we live there. It's owned by my lady's Mother who doesn't want it anymore. The two car garage is a full leather shop. Her Mother made saddles and leather goods, so we get that in the deal as well. Time for me to learn how to tool leather! I have never had anything given to me in my life so it seems weird to fall into such an ideal spot. We'll see where it goes.

23. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

Looking good!!

Beau likes this.
  24. Beau

Beau

25. loudbang

loudbang

Now that sounds like a HOT ROD should sound.

Beau and volvobrynk like this.
  26. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That sounds modified (), that is awesome!!

I like it a lot!!

Beau likes this.
  27. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

very nice.....

Beau likes this.
  28. Beau

Beau

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. @Beau

Just did a quick scroll through on your build. I really like where it is going.
    On a quick note on something you said to @volvobrynk , over the years I have seen quite a few old cars with the exhaust turned around backward and the head pipes run down and under the engine bat from the front to avoid clearance issues. Maybe it sounds a little backyard but it is an option that has been done and works.

Beau likes this.
  30. Beau

Beau

Thanks @porknbeaner ! There are a lot of photos of junk and mock up stuff, and most of the photos are crappy, but I have learned a lot and almost have a car I can drive. My goal is to have it finished finished by August so I can make the Minneapolis Messaround car show. Time and money...

Last edited: May 10, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.