Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Modified Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beau, Feb 1, 2012.

1. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

man that looks great.Theres some inspiration for ya.

2. twin city knight

twin city knight

hot damn. i usually don't like two tone, but that's classy

3. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I dig it! I think that's well worth consideration!

4. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Looking good!!!

5. linkstar69

linkstar69

I'm surprised how well the two tone works as well, doesn't look street rodder and definitely worth considering when you get to that point.

6. Yeah dig the twotone. Not purple & gold but it'll do ;)

7. Beau

Beau

Thanks everyone. The grey I had in mind would be a tad darker, and I don't have doors. It's a good place to start and a bit different than the all black we are used too.

I did some work for a set of minty 40 Ford wheels, ribbed rings and middle caps.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• ribs.jpg
      ribs.jpg
      File size:
      70.1 KB
      Views:
  8. Beau

Beau

Ribs on the inside too!

Attached Files:

9. Beau

Beau

Floor pans are getting closer to being finished now. Lots of boring work.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. Beau

Beau

The bead roller works now. Pretty awesome. We had all the heavy steel laying around the shop and it took about two hours to do. I need to upgrade hardware and it should be good. I'd like to make some sort of table and fence for it also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The back yard of the shop is almost dry enough to sand blast so I can finish the inside of the tub. Once again, cleaning parts from the beginning would have saved a lot of headache.

Attached Files:

11. Beau

Beau

Some more work on the dash blend.

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      221.4 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      224.2 KB
      Views:
  12. Beau

Beau

A couple more

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      224.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      206.5 KB
      Views:
  13. Beau

Beau

Working my way around. I got a tube rolled to add a peak and a curve to the rear panel. I tried making a piece for the corner but need to start over with a new pattern. The bike shop is busy again. Time is gettin thin.

Attached Files:

14. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Just that corner left, looking good this far...

15. Beau

Beau

I gotta redo both corners. The pattern I made didn't work once I tried to shape it. I should have a better idea the next round. The damn snow is melting and it's not done.

I have no idea how some people build things so damn fast. I dedicate at least and hour or two a night and still can't do it. I have been real selfish this past two years gathering funds and time for this build. It almost feels like a job I pay a daily fee for. Hopefully it will pay off in the end.

16. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

People who build fast, in my observation, usually have a bunch of builds under their belts and/or go into a project knowing most of the whats and hows that they want to do as well as a pile of parts to get them there.

Don't beat on yourself about it, I'm in the same boat.

17. ScooterCO

ScooterCO
    from Parker, CO

On those back corners.. You might try to bend a curve in a piece of pipe similar to the one used on the back. Then cut it in half and open and fit as needed.

You are making a cool ride! Keep after it!

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'm diggin' the dash blends down the inside! I have been looking at my modified as far as inside finish for a long time trying to think of what to do, and I might just steal that little bit of goodness. Loving the flow of the cowl back through the doors and back panels... Keep going, you are on the right track.

Oh, and if you are worried about how fast this is coming together; don't. I have many many builds under my belt and I still go slow on my stuff and make it as nice as I can. Even if I have to take time to learn a new skill.

19. Beau

Beau

I had tried that at first but there were too many weird curves.

Thanks! I'm still a little unsure about the angle of it, but we'll see how it works out. I'm not changing it now!

I got a call from Dan this morning with an offer to help finish off the corners. I decided to take a shot at a new piece this evening and tried a different method. This part is going to be covered by upholstery so it will only be seen here. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not perfect and the shadows make it look worse but it's nice and solid now. I'm gonna try and blast the inside out this weekend.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• s.jpg
      s.jpg
      File size:
      126.5 KB
      Views:
    • s2.jpg
      s2.jpg
      File size:
      93.5 KB
      Views:
    • s3.jpg
      s3.jpg
      File size:
      109.8 KB
      Views:
  20. Beau

Beau

Repeat

Attached Files:

21. Beau

Beau

Yesterday most of the snow was gone from the area. At around 9:00 p.m. some snow started to stick. By 11:30, it was a tall can deep. This morning, it's two tall cans deep and still snowing just as hard. Minnesota rules.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• snow.jpg
      snow.jpg
      File size:
      156.6 KB
      Views:
  22. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Ohh Noooooo! I feel for you, I thought WE had it bad this year, sheesh... Good excuse to stay in the shop all weekend though!

23. Beau

Beau

Blizzard this morning, Sunshine and beautiful now. This state is just goofy.

24. Beau

Beau

I needed a break from grinding welds and making noise. Tonight I made a rough pattern (C.A.D.) and centered up a section to test the bead roller out on. It's 16 ga. and it took my club mate Noah's power house arms and my lady Alisha's light touch to help me guide it through straight and flat. I have bead rolled less than a dozen times, and this one finally came out OK. It'll be covered up, but it was good practice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

25. Beau

Beau

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      89.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      67.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      90.3 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      70.3 KB
      Views:
  26. Beau

Beau

I have had a few people concerned with the exhaust being close to the Master Cylinder. I wasn't real worried and had planned to wrap it anyway to avoid heat inside the car. I figure I can put some shields in where they were needed. It seems like an odd concern to me consider some people have them in the engine bay with less air flow.

What are your thoughts?

27. OFT

OFT

In early 80's had finished model A roadster build (full fender) with 283" Chevy and auto. Exhaust pipe was almost under the master cyl under floor board. On gas stop #2 on I-80 from Lincoln NE to Colo the brake pedal went to floor.
    Cool-wet day (rained 300 miles) and found that I needed to top off the master cyl at each gas stop to prevent complete brake loss.

After getting home, made up a heat shield and no more loss of fluid from exhaust heat. Not real hot on the heat wrap stuff. Heat wrap on the headers of my 29 AA flake and brake off easily.

I would suggest adding heat shield to it.

Earl

28. Beau

Beau

Thanks Earl. Some shields will be made. Someone else told me to avoid the wrap.

I picked up another flex joint and a hole saw and got to work on the right side exhaust. It's a real tight squeeze between the starter and engine mount.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      68.4 KB
      Views:
  29. I was going to wrap the headers on my modified but my father in law told me they would rust out very quickly & I would not notice it because of the wrap

30. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

X2 on the wrap being a potential rust catalyst. Shields are a much better alternative IMO.