Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Modified Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beau, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Beau

Beau

I can't please everyone.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  2. Beau

Beau

More stuff

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ideas for possible front belly pan.

[​IMG]

Last one.

I'll be working on the steering next, then the bodywork starts.

[​IMG]

3. redzula

redzula

4. gregaustex

gregaustex
    from Austin

I'm diggin' how you kept the bones intact! Very cool.

5. Beau

Beau

Thanks. I'd really like to have it down at Torque Fest this year. The time is coming quick though.

Thank you.

The credit goes to the members of the forum. Others did this before me. Then there was a tech week article. Certainly nicer than what I'm working with right now, but the same idea.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=677460&fb_source=message

6. Love what you're doing here, and nice to see that you're building it without a catalogue of parts.

Best of luck with the build

7. Beau

Beau

Thank prefect20

I don't have a bank account or credit cards, so buying things in a book or online is frustrating.

Last weekend was the first auto swap of the year in the Twin Cities. Pete (TwinCitiesKnight) picked me up. I ended up finding a Model T tank, a 1929 Reo Tank, an oil bath cleaner to convert to paper and some other junk. Pete also delivered 3 1936 Plymouth Artillery wheels that he picked up for me on CL. The next day, I found a fourth wheel to complete the set a bit North of the Cities. Not to shabby. If I can score some 17" tires it might be worth it to have my hubs drilled for another wheel option.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I must confess, the Fordson tank has lost it's appeal. I'm just not happy with the look, and to modify the body to make the tank work didn't make sense. When I found the two tanks at the swap, I knew I had some options now. The Model T tank was too small, but it was cheap so I had to have it. When I saw the Reo tank, I knew it was closer to what I wanted. It's in real nice shape, it's different and it was a great price. I think relocating the filler and a few other mods and I have a winner. I think the size of this tank work better with my cars profile.

My ladies B-day week is finally over, so I get to be in the shop the next two days. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Boy that wheel looks awefully familiar
    [​IMG]

I sold one of these, and can't remember which one i still have. Funny thing is I trip over it almost daily

9. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I'm diggin' that tank mock up. Looks to fill the space nicely.

10. Beau

Beau

Yeah, I'm running the Reo tank. The Fordson just doesn't look right on my car. Now that I'm running the 2" stretched hood, the tank is no longer centered over the rear wheels, and that bugs me.

Looks like you have the 10 slot Plymouth wheels. The ones I have are 12. From my research, the 12 slot were 1935 or 1936?

Here's an example on a Model A owned by 29 bones

[​IMG]

11. marx

marx

Best look so far. I think you got it!

12. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

That bigger tank rules and fills that space behind the body perfectly!

13. Beau

Beau

Thanks Marx, and NortonG.

I spent the whole day in the shop. I have spent countless hours here, on youtube, and on metal shaping forums learning how people form metal. I had an absolute blast! This is my first shot at it. I'm really looking forward to more. I'm going to use the gas welder next time. The MIG was horrible.

I bought cheap patch panels from a local shop. They had the general shape, but I soon learned the Mr. Ford didn't make these panels anywhere close to flat, in any direction. It took a lot of hammering, twisting, shrinking and stretching to get them close to the shape of the panel.

[​IMG]

I don't know what this line is called, but it was bent in the wrong location and was thicker than the stock width. I have to bend in flat, then I put in my brake and made a new bend that corrected the width. This turned out to be harder than I expected.

[​IMG]

Here's the panel. I drilled out the factory spot welds and removed the panel. It made it easier to hammer weld and smooth.

[​IMG]

After the cut and tacked in. The shape was almost spot on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and this is after a bunch of hammer welding, grinding, more hammering, some slapping and media blast. It's not perfect, but it's real close.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also patched in the hole where the factory gas tank filler was.

[​IMG]

I really like working with sheet metal.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  14. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Love how this build is coming!

Also love that old lawn mower you picked up... I like to collect old lawn/garden tractors as well, the stranger the better. Never seen one like that though!

15. Beau

Beau

Yeah man, I have a love for old machines.

I picked up a '64 Toro Whirlwind from the inlaws. It's a hand crank start. Pretty cool! It kind of matches the Big Mow.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  16. gregaustex

gregaustex
    from Austin

That Toro has the same tank layout as your modified. It may just be me, but I thought that was funny.:D

17. Need to find another toro & use the front as a spreader bar

18. Beau

Beau

Back again.

After lots of opinions of "channel it" or "stay on top", and seeing how the channel would effect the rest of the car, I decided to do a 2" channel. Right in the middle. This measurement allowed me to keep the stock Model T seat base, and I think it's just enough to get away with lowering the '32 radiator shell, and not needing to chop it.

I will be buying smaller front tires for sure now. It's getting closer to where it needs to be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  19. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Yeah! I like it a lot.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

20. Anderson

Anderson

That made all the difference. Smaller front tire will nail it. Nice work!!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

21. Beau

Beau

Thanks guys! :)

The 4" channel just didn't look right. I was real hesitant to cut it up, but last night I just went for it after staring at it for about an hour. I'm real happy with the way it's going now.

22. Beau

Beau

Before-

[​IMG]

After 2" Channel-

[​IMG]

Photoshop of 4"-

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  23. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

That 2" channel made a huge difference. It looks so much better. I' m in agreement with you and others. It now just needs shorter front tyres and it's perfect.
    I looked back through the thread but didn't see it, what is the wheelbase?
    Cheers,
    Stewart..

24. Beau

Beau

The wheelbase it 91.5".

25. I.like the 2 inch

26. bobadame

bobadame

Go deeper. Drop it until the reveal lines on the body and hood are straight. Paralell.

27. Beau

Beau

Maybe I should explain why I only did a 2" channel.

The hood is not bolted down. The hood line will be parallel with the body when finished. It's all just C-clamped together right now. None of the body parts are mounted and none of it is in a final location. I'm going to need to see the car from further than 10' away before I can finalize any of that. The hood is not level from the cowl to the radiator shell stock as far as I can tell. If I lowered just the body or raised the radiator shell it would make the hood look like it was going "up hill" (and that would look funny).

If I channel it any more the rear part of the body will get in the way of the rear wishbone and the driveshaft tunnel will be deeper. I don't want to raise the height of the seat base at all. Also, my leg room is going to be tight with the dash board and steering wheel in. It was already tight before the channel. I want to be somewhat comfortable. I don't want to have the gas pedal on top of the transmission either.

I have lowered the radiator shell the same amount as the body. So technically it should be real close to where it's suppose to be. Remember, I have a 2" upsweep, so the radiator shell has already been lowered 4". Any more and it's going to hang down too far below the axle. I think that would look goofy unless I shortened the radiator shell, and I don't want to do that.

28. I like seeing some/not all of the frame. Looking good.....

29. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I'm amazed at what just 2" did for the car visually!
    Stance really does come down to fractions doesn't it!?!?
    Really nice job Beau...

30. FASI

FASI

Here are a few of the "modifieds" the Limey Kid and I built under our Real Hot Rods banner a few years ago. It was fun whiloe it lasted. The cream one is my summer driver. That's Tom "Stroker McGurk" Medley at the Streetrod NATS about 12 years ago.

Attached Files: