Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Modern paint codes for vintage colors?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by improbcat, May 6, 2021.

1. improbcat

improbcat

I want to paint my '56 Olds in some '55 Olds colors (grove green & mint green), however all i can find is the original 2-digit paint codes and some aftermarket codes from back in the 50s.
    A local professional auto paint store spent the better part of an hour trying to cross-reference and research the colors with no luck.
    If i had any pieces in those colors they could scan them and get a code, but I don't.
    Does anyone know of a way to get modern paint codes for a 50s color? Or does anyone have anything painted in those colors that i/you could get scanned by a paint shop?
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance.

1949*john and 31hotrodguy like this.
  2. There is basically no way to cross reference old codes for modern paint unless the paint manufacture has already done it. Many of the toners that were used back in the day are no longer being made so the paint companies have no way of creating direct crossovers to old colours without either scanning original colours or having someone create a colour by eye, neither of which is worth their time or expense.

TCP Global has done this for most old colours in their Auto Color Library so they would be your best source for paint without having a sample than can be scanned.
    https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/

You are probably just as well off to go through paint sample books at your jobber and find two colours you like and use them. That way there will be far less hassle in getting the colour reproduced if you ever need to.

Torchie and fauj like this.
  3. CadMad

CadMad

Go on eBay and buy a 56 Olds colour chip chart for $20. Then take it to your paint shop and either try to eye match with an existing modern paint chip or see if they can spectrograph it .

Torchie and Flathead Dave like this.

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Every paint manufacturer has new formulas for old paint colors. Your paint store needs to get hold of their supplier, or the hot line of the paint company, and they will get back to them with a new formula usually within an hour. I have gotten paint from codes as old as 1952 and I know others who have done the same for older cars.
    All you need is the original name or number, for example, "1955 Oldsmobile Grove Green" or "1955 Oldsmobile D222"

Torchie likes this.
  5. greybeard360

greybeard360

Mint green
    PPG/Ditzler : 41731
    Dupont : 246-58634, 1994
    Acme/Rogers : L1556

Grove green
    PPG/Ditzler : 41733
    Dupont : 260-58477H, 1990H
    Acme/Rogers : L1558

Should be able to come up with something from these.

MO54Frank and stillrunners like this.
  6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I tried various well known paint companies to source modern paint formulas for the OEM 2-tone paint on my 46 Oldsmobile, providing original paint codes and colour charts from Dupont, Acme, Sherwin Williams etc.
    Glasurit was the ONLY company that was able to assist with providing modern compatible formulas (2K). Other companies indicated that if I had an original sample the colour may be able to be matched however I had NO actual samples.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    improbcat likes this.
  7. Reidy

Reidy

Whilst we are on the subject of vintage paint colours, how does the gloss levels compare to say modern 2K paint. From my memory, which is limited, the original older cars I recall seemed to have a different look about the gloss or shine.

Torchie and Busted Knuckles like this.
  8. Torchie

Torchie

Yes the "shine" is different.
    The new paints Base coat/clear coat have more of a Plastic look to them . JMHO
    Single stage enamel still looks like it used to and nothing other then Lacquer looks like Lacquer.
    I painted cars for a living back in the 70's when we still shot Lacquer on GM products and single stage Enamel on most everything else.
    Most paint companies can get you the formulas for the older colors. You just have to find someone that wants to do it.
    As K13 posted. TCP Global has a good selection of older colors in their library. They also sell Acrylic lacquer if you decided to go that route.
    IF you can find a clean paint chip sample a good tech can also scan it and get a Close match in a up to date formula. The new scanners will also tell you how close a match it is. I've done this before then added what ever other tints I felt it needed. Just keep track of what you add.
    It's all part of the fun......
    Torchie

improbcat likes this.