Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model T window regulator - another canuck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by goldmountain, Aug 24, 2018.

1. goldmountain

goldmountain

On my T coupe I've been putting off dealing with my window regulator problems and then saw Canuck's repost of his "bearclaw latch and window regulator" thread.
    At first, I attempted to use repro felt glass channels. regulators, metal glass channels, and window cranks. Nothing went right. There isn't enough room to wiggle the window in from the top with the metal channel attached to it so I put the glass in from the top and the metal channel in from the bottom but the glass setting tape was too loose to hold them together. Can't manage with two plies of the tape since I can't apply enough pressure on them within the door so I glued it on with urethane.
    Next, I found that the glass would bind when I tried raising and lowering it. I had the glass made just a little too loose and it would rock and bind. I can't get the glass out of the door now because the two pieces are glued together with urethane. To add insult to injury, the window crank doesn't clear the ashtrays on my '40 Ford dash.
    This is where Canuck's info comes in. At first, I tried regulators from an '89 Dodge Colt because they were similar in concept and they were free but they were much too thick to work within the narrow confines of a T door. Went to regulators from a '92 Cherokee and abandoned the "free" option. Since the part that the glass rides up and down on has an open sided tube that runs vertically, this overcomes my rocking sideways problem. Also, I can use my existing metal glass channel which I'm stuck with. Win -win.
    I did a lot of fitting because you really can't see what you are doing without Superman's x-ray eyes. In and out; trim and then trim some more. It was a bit nerve racking trimming the metal channel for clearance with a whiz wheel with the glass in place. Tempered glass is really tough but I don't think it takes kindly to getting cut upon.
    I didn't relocate the window crank further up like Canuck did since I needed ashtray clearance. Ended up centering the window crank on the original lower regulator mounting hole. You really need the factory supplied bulge in the inner door panel for the regulator to get enough room for everything. The Cherokee window regulator is the ideal solution for orphan cars like an Essex or Durant. The window cranks up very nicely. Thank you, Canuck. IMG_1106.JPG IMG_1107.JPG IMG_1106.JPG IMG_1107.JPG IMG_1106.JPG IMG_1107.JPG

OFT likes this.