Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model T...Sort Of

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CDM, Mar 24, 2014.

1. CDM

CDM

Been restoring T's for almost 40 years. Always wanted to do a T rod, so to speak. This is what I came up with. Not finished but good enough to show a few pics...

Attached Files:

2. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

3. Me too, Sweet...

4. really good proportions! it sits right.

5. Damn. I really like that. Not sure why, but I like that a lot.......

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Squablow

Squablow

I like it! "A" drivetrain? I like the slanted spare on the back. Speedsters tend to look awkward at the rear on a full length wheelbase but I really like what you did with this one, proportions are right-on, very sporty.

7. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

Inspirational!

8. CDM

CDM

Yup, A drive train. I always wanted to adapt an A tranny to the T. So I did. Adapter was a bear to machine but worked out well. This lead to using A drive line and rear end. Also adapted '40 Ford rear juice drums while I was at it. A real job but real nice. In combination with the '28 Chev head adaptation the whole thing works well and kicks a little more ass than a stock T.

I appreciate your comment on the spare. It took hours and hours of playing with it to get the right look. Now at least two people agree that it is right! Thanks.

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Looks like a great Speedster!

10. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

that's pretty darn cool , id like to have it in my garage

11. Very swoopy around the cowl area, too. :cool: Good color combination, looks "authentic", not too bright. This would look right at home at the Newport Hill Climb. :D

12. Kume

Kume

very nice indeed.
    How about some more photos of engine compartment and drive train.

13. You done good :) I like it.

14. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

15. Neato! I really like what you've done with the cowl! It's got a Bugatti vibe going.

16. bgaro

bgaro

wow, thats purdy. have you got any shots of the engine bay?

17. CDM

CDM

That would be fun. I can't figure out the rules though. They seem to say no non-stock cars. Although this car is a T at its heart it is highly modified with '28 Chev head and Model A tranny and drive train among other things.

Do you know if there is a category for modded cars like this?

18. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is really impressive. Very clean, sits nice, and you nailed it on the spare--all issues I'm grappling with on my speedster project. Well done!

19. Model T1

Model T1

I agree, that T is done right. Love it. I'm from just up the road a piece. Maybe see ya at one of the local cruise nites.

20. Hookedtrout

Hookedtrout
    from East Idaho

21. Well they seem to have classes for cars like these...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You should be able to get some info here.

http://newporthillclimb.com/

http://newporthillclimb.com/classyear.php

22. CDM

CDM

You talking Wendy's in Crystal River by any chance?

23. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

That thing is cool!

24. olskool34

olskool34

Wow, I love it!! Seriously I really think you have given me some thought on my next project. Very perfect in my opinion. The slanted spare tire screams to me! Good thoughts.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. I like it. Looks like fun.

26. CDM

CDM

Here are some pics of the engine. I am not good at photography but you'll get the idea. The head is '28 Chev. I was going to hog out the adapter but discovered Neil Jern in Calif. His work is beautiful although as he says, you will still have to do some ball pean fitting since all the heads are a little different. Once on though, it is a delight. Ticks like a fine watch.

Made the oil pump to fit on the front plate because I did not want to bury it in the engine. Found an old Pontiac oil pump gear set on ebay and hogged out the housing. A j-o-b. It will pump a stream of oil 20 feet in the air. The pressure relief valve (1/2" ball in a tube) is in the sump.

The distributor mount is a Kingston timer elevator from a swap meet; $3.00. I machined it to fit a Bosch 009. Works great.

Transmission is Mod A. I machined the adapter by transferring measurements from the T tranny to the stock in the lathe. By the way, for any who think the A tranny will not work mated to the T without a clutch break can forget it. It works beautifully...albeit double-clutching is the rule of the day.

The radius rods are T. I found two at swap meets with shot ball ends. I built up the balls with the welder and grinder. The ball housings and caps came from swap meet junk 3 dips. Make for a super strong set of forks.

Just things I always wanted to do; a fun project for sure.

Attached Files:

27. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

x2

wow, I wouldn't kick that out of the garage.

28. Kume

Kume

Thanks CM
    Some great ideas there. What year pontiac is the oil pump?. Are you able to compare the power of the Neal Jern conversion with a stock T motor?

29. very nice. soo many things about it are just right. Thanks for sharing it.