Register now to get rid of these ads!

model T rear spring?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Swedester, May 13, 2007.

1. so I got this model T spring I´m planing to use on my `32 p-u project,and have no clue to how much it will compress when the car is done,and no idea on eye to eye width either.any one using a model T rear spring that would be kind enough to take some measurments for me?

2. swanwaco32

swanwaco32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a t spring in my 5w and it fits on 40 ford axle tube,s just right. You will have to weld some spacers about 3 or 4 inches on each side of the spring center bolt hole on a A crossmember. i think they are about 3/8 thick. It keeps the spring from rocking in the crossmember. I did end up buying a new spring because the old original sping was just too soft. It had some pitting and adding extra leafs just didn,t seem to help. John

3. old post,but anyway,could you measure the eye to eye width for me?

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

1909-27 T, 28-31 A, and 32-41 Ford transverse spring suspension is designed to have the springs installed under tension.

In 1942 Ford started using front and rear Panhard bars which allowed them to use the larger diameter rubber-bushed spring eyes and a softer spring rate for more comfort and control in a low-priced car line.

When using a Ford Model T rear spring the perches should be 48.5 inches center of eye to center of eye.

When using a Ford Model A rear spring the perches should be 49.5 inches center of eye to center of eye.

On both the shackles are 1.5 inches long per side so the T spring eyes should be spread to 45.5 inches to install it with correct stock or hotrod shackles and the A spring eyes should be spread to 46.5 inches to install it.

Narrower than stock perch dimension construction results in swaying shackles(read that swaying "FRAME"!!).

When installed the shackles will be straight with the world, after weight of car is added they will drop to about 45 degrees which is the most you'll want to see at rest.

It is a simple matter to fab up correctly spaced perches for any Ford spring. You have to have the spring and the shackles you're going to use. Lay the spring down on the floor, mark the centerline of the eyes on the floor. Measure the shackles from center of bolt to center of bolt, add this dimension to your setup on the floor at each end of the spring. Add 1-1.5" for the spread to tension at one end and mark it. The dimension between the end marks is correct for your setup for perch c/l eye to c/l eyefabrication.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010

5. thank you my friend,now that´s what I call a good answer!need to write this down.thanks again.

/ Vince

6. Thanks fror the great info pasadenahotrod!