Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model T project update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nobux, Dec 2, 2006.

1. nobux

nobux

Well, progress is going slow. A lack of funds, cold weather, no insulation in the garage, and my 17 month old daughter have limited the time spent working on the car.

I've been working on the second version of the pick-up box. The first didn't turn out the way I liked. This one is 18 gauge steel, 33" long, with the front edge cut to follow the contour of the body. I still have the stake pockets to make. I think it turned out pretty good for a rank amateur.

I cut out the flat front crossmember and installed a stock model A one in order to give me a little ground cleareance for the flathead's oil pan. Of course, that entailed raising the rear to level it out. I'm glad I decided that this version of the car didn't have to be so low. I was able to get the T-5 under the floor with a very small tranny hump. I got the steel floor cut and bead rolled and installed. I made up and bead rolled the dash. I've been using my reinforced HF bead roller a lot for this project and don't regret the $99 outlay. Oh, I also chopped the 28-29 Model A grille shell 2 1/2" so that it no longer sits higher that the cowl, which is important as I plan on running a hood top.

The Cragar SS's have been removed(for now) and I've been playing around with trim ring and hubcap combos. I've always liked the 57 Ford poverty cap, so thats what probably will make the cut.

I'm very happy with the way it's turning out, and am very glad that I added the pick-up box instead of running it as a modified type car. To me the car has very good proportions. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks,

Karl

Attached Files:

2. butch27

butch27

Gettin there. I think the bulk of the bed overwhelms the car though. A little off of the bottom maybe.

3. nobux

nobux

The bottom of the bed extends down 2" below the frame rails. I think that once the stake pockets are put on and I roll the beads in the box sides it'll visually break up the flat surface. It looks a lot less bulky in person.
    I sure am looking forward to finishing this thing and moving on to my 30 Tudor. It will be a relief to have a little bit more room to put everything. Here is the car a couple months ago when I was thinking of running it as a modified.

[​IMG]

And here is the car the first time I built it.

[​IMG]

4. Southfork

Southfork

The 'modified' with flathead look is great, and I think the bed look will be just as cool when you get the beads rolled on it. By the way, where did you get the $99 reinforced bead roller? That seems to be a wise investment.

5. Lugnutz

Lugnutz

I do like the truck box. I'm always looking for ideas, and something with a little 'different' look to it. I think it looked sharp with the Cragars.

6. nobux

nobux

The bead roller is a Harbor Freight unit that I welded to a frame of 2x2 0.250 wall box tubing in order to strengthen it and make a stand. I also followed some HAMB advice and cut off the awkward crank handle and replaced it with a steering wheel in order to make it more "one man friendly".
    I love the Cragars. I haven't been able to find any decent used 15x6s with the right backspacing to replace the rear 15x8 full reversed ones. If I do, they'll go back on.

Karl