Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model T Progress and a Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MBL, Sep 22, 2003.

1. MBL

MBL

Howdy all. Tim Here. This past weekend Sinner and I got some done on the roadster. We finally cut the intermediate shaft for the clutch linkage(shorter now) and made a bracket to hold that pivot ball to the frame. So now we have a working clutch....again we are using the 40 style pedals. I now have the steering box mounted nice and tight so we have smooth steering. This is cut into the frame a bit at an angle...again we are using a 40 box with cross steering. We also were able to get some of the boxing plates cut...but not yet installed.
    Now I have a question or two for the flathead guys....
    When cutting the torque tube...what is the preferred method? Will an exhaust cutter do the trick? Is there a preferred way to keep the cuts square when sectioning out a portion? When it comes to the driveshaft itself; does it make sence to cut the splined ends off and weld to a hollow tube/pipe? Oh and lastly does it make any sence to only box the frame in the front? Any help on this would be great!
    Thanks
    Tim
    MBL

2. Regarding the torque-tube....I'd remove the rear flange, cut the tube to length, and re-weld the flange attempting to keep it as square as possible. Then I'd put it in a lathe with a steady rest and face off the re-welded flange. I'd think a pipe cutter would be fine for removing what you need to.

I'd try to contact Moser about the driveshaft. They could probably weld and re-spline just one end.

What kind of frame ?

3. MBL

MBL

Its a model a frame.
    Tim
    MBL

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

Woudnt it work well to cut the driveshaft and respline? Cut new splines with a mill or even a diegrinder w/cutoff wheel.

5. MBL

MBL

What about the shaft whipping around? Is it not better to use a hollow tube to prevent this?
    Tim
    MBL

6. MBL

MBL

Oh and does anyone know exactly where that bearing is in the middle of the tube? Measurement from the front or back? Should I keep the bearing?
    TIm
    MBL

7. Mart

Mart

Isn't there a grease fitting half way up the torque tube? What year is your torque tube/driveshaft?
    mart.

8. MBL

MBL

I do believe there is a grease fitting....I guess I should have assumed that thats where the bearing was....I think my tube is from a 40 ford truck. Another thing I should ask is how close or butted up against the u-joint assmebly at the back of the tranny does the tube have to be? Is it right up against it? Touching it? Is there a gasket of some sort that goes between? Or is it just grease.
    Tim
    MBL

9. MBL

MBL

What??? Still no additional thoughts on this....no torque tube cutters out there?
    Tim
    MBL

10. Sinner

Sinner

I found those clevises I was talking about.

11. MBL

MBL

And how about the things that screw into them?
    Tim
    MBL