Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model T Crank startin Mechanism: How did it work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LarzBahrs, Nov 3, 2009.

1. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

I am thinking about running a crank start mechanism on a cycle car project i have in the works. The engine will be a single cylinder kholer engine. Any one familiar with the model t crank mechanisms mind telling me how they work and are set up on the motor. I know they involve a ratcheting mechanism but i want to see how it is attached to the engines crank shaft.

2. Squablow

Squablow

No ratcheting mechanism on my '26, just a handle that you can slide into corresponding teeth on the front pulley, you turn the ignition on and turn the engine over by hand. As simple as they come.

Technically, if you could turn the engine fast enough, and get the tool off before it's too late, you could start an engine with a wrench on the crank bolt. I don't suggest trying it under any circumstance, but in theory you could do it.

3. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

There's a pin straight through the end of the crankshaft at 90°, approx. 7/16" diameter. The hand crank has a 4 tooth pawl on the end of it. you shove the handle in until it engages the pin and turn. If the spring around the crankhandle is in place, it keeps the crank handle from engaging accidentally.

4. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

I had the opportunity to hand start a T over the Summer this year. Don't straddle it and turn the spark to full retard!! haha...

Sometimes there's a spring between the mount located on top of the front leaf spring and the first bend in the handle to keep it from bouncing into the crank. I've seen some T's fitted with a leather strap as an extra precaution.

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

You could also make up a removeable crank like '28-48 Fords...pawl is just 4 curved teeth made as part of crank end bolt, crank is a separate piece with pin through it. The pin has a sort of airfoil cross section, presumably to help the pawl spit it out when engine fires.
    Try also to find the book on T aftermarket stuff...there were LOTS of incredible Rube Goldberg devices to allow driver to start the car without getting out. They range from scary to utterly terrifying!