Register now to get rid of these ads!

model kits..WHERE ARE THEY NOW

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 60srailjob, Jan 10, 2009.

1. 41Plymouth4dr

41Plymouth4dr
    from Tioga, PA

OK,
    I've been looking & looking at everyones stash of models & just had to show about 1/3 of my collection(over 1000 total), now grant it they are packed in boxes, but figure like about 8 per box.I probably only have about 50+ of 60's stuff, most are 70's & newer(since what i had at parents got destroyed after i moved out(shed fell in & crushed everything, then weather ruined boxes & nobody told me for o\ver a year).
    One of these days i'll start building again, i TRY to buy 2 of each(1 to build & 1 to keep boxed was always my theory).
    I'm 48yrs old & got my 1st model at age 7 & worked on 1to1 cars most of my life. And one of these days i'll get "my":D room finished with shelves & tables to display what my models & Roadrunner & coke collection!

Attached Files:

2. 41Plymouth4dr

41Plymouth4dr
    from Tioga, PA

Now maybe the rest of the pics loaded.
    And yes MOST of the boxes are marked with whats in them!

Attached Files:

3. kanzapanzer

kanzapanzer
    from kansas

www.detailmaster.com

There are several others as well. Google search for model car tires. There are also some out there that are cast resin.

4. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

5. Several dozen of my old model kits and hot rod kits purchased at hobby lobby were stolen from my storage in Lubbock, Texas a few years back. If they show up at a flea market or swap meet, I'd sure like to hear about it.

Lots of old hotwheels and built kits were there too. Even some old promos. The storage was cleaned out completely.

Also stolen was a pair of Halibrand 16" big window wheels with slicks mounted on them.

Probably some meth heads. I'll bet the wheels ended up scrapped.

6. tenebr8

tenebr8

The Fiat was a Monogram kit (1/32 scale)-- I own two of them. Great kit. Truly tests one's painting skills.

What a great thread! Some amazing collections here. I have about 20 built models on display (all vintage drag cars), and about 75 unbuilt kits. Sucks that my digital camera has crapped the bed, otherwise I could show y'all. I will never be able to afford to participate in the 1:1 hobby, but in 1/24-1/25, I can bring my dream cars to life. Currently working on a Dodge Challenger funny car-- next up is a '56 Ford gasser.

7. motorhead711

motorhead711

I still have "some" of mine left over. They're piled on a shelf in my garage. It's a shame they're almost non-existent in stores nowadays. Swap meets and car shows will usually have a couple of vendors. There used to be a hobby store in town where I live that always had some really cool ones. That place has been gone for almost 20 years.

8. tenebr8

tenebr8

Damn, I'd pay good money for that "Time Bomb."

9. tenebr8

tenebr8

Okay-- can someone give me a quick tutorial on how to post pics here? I'll show y'all a couple of my builds.

10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I still build, in 1/8th. But most got sold years ago. I just gave away a bunch to a guy in Chemo who needs to keep busy during his treatments. Gary

11. dragnews

dragnews

Just thought I would show you some of my collection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Visit me at ArdmoreDragway.com and don't forget the Ardmore Hot Rod Reunion Sept.5.....................................Rob

[​IMG]

12. tenebr8

tenebr8

dragnews-- all I can say is-- holy sh-t!

13. Dog427435

Dog427435

Very cool Dragnews - how about some close ups?

14. S.F.

S.F.

I buy all vintage kits I find....then sell them to a guy named Bart.

15. Nice Dragnews. I'm not the only one.
    My basement looks like a hobby shop.

16. undergroundss

undergroundss

Guys...I noticed in a few pics early on, that some kits were being stored in what looked like an attic. You really have to watch where you store kits. I had some stored in an attic, bad thing is...the temp gets HOT. Not good. Many bodies, frames, and larger parts in general had warped. These kits became parts boxes. Too many of them couldn't be used as a whole kit. Anyway, cool and dry is a model's friend.

17. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Storage?..........
    [​IMG]

Doc.

18. I hate when that happens. Aussie body style Doc?

19. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I just found about 10 or so that my dad built as a kid in the 60's along with some steel tonka type trucks and even some U boat models. Im keeping the steel but not sure about the models yet, I might try to get them in the hands of someone who can really do something with them, Do the the tires just rot off these things cause most of them are just bodies now? Ps these were in outside storage in texas and dont appear to be melted at all. Guess I better get them out of my trunk before they are toast.

20. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I still have all mine. They're packed up in a box for the move this month. (new house)

21. resinjeff

resinjeff
    from detroit

i have a few, plus i can make my own! [​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  22. resinjeff

resinjeff
    from detroit

looks like im jus too stoopid to get pics to work..... gggrrrrr

23. tenebr8

tenebr8

I repeat-- quick tutorial, anyone?

24. While we are on this subject, what are we going to have to do to get the hobby shops to carry more of the stuff we want to buy? Wild Bill's is the only place in the DFW area where you can go get the good stuff. I couldn't give a shit less about some tranformers junk or a tuner model. Kids aren't buying this stuff anymore, they don't want to work that hard. It's us geezers that are still buying kits, but the mfgr's. are still catering to the kids. WTF !!??!!

25. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup it was (Is) a Monaro, cant remember what year model it was but I was changing it to a HG Monaro. Not that you can tell but there is some serious time and work in this body to get it to the stage it was at!
    I was building a replica of this....
    [​IMG]

Lone Star, the old rubber tyres did indeed rot away, they can also eat away the styrene if they are sitting on it!
    Doc.

26. RichG

RichG

My models? Well, I imagine they ended up where everything else I owned did when I joined the military...given away. I mean, sheesh, I was just going into the Navy, it wasn't like I joined the French Fuckin' Foreign Legion or something. It took a lot of years to forgive my parents for that one.:cool:

27. i still got mine:D

Attached Files:

28. undergroundss

undergroundss

http://www.rocketfin.com/model_car_links.html

This site has been a good source of plastic and resin kits for me. If anyone hasn't explored the resin mfg's, you need to. Many desirable yr, make, models available. Resin prices rival that of collector kits, but save the time you would take to hunt down that sought after kit.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  29. Church Key

Church Key

30. mikes51

mikes51

I saved a few from the 60's. Brush painted and all. No metallic paints in the bottles then. So one mixed silver paint with red and you got muted "custom" paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the blue merc is recent but the red shoebox was an old kit. came with optional chopped top
    or stock top in the kit.

[​IMG]

corduroy material, std material to simulate tuck n roll in the /60's.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009