Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Model Kits that Inspired the young hoodlums

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Ah yes, something that fed my car hunger... The early Revell kits were well detailed, but a PITA to assemble with their multi-piece bodies, plus being in 1/32 scale there were a lot of small parts. I put their '59 Ford Retractable kit together as an adult, and it was still a PITA. Even after they went to 1/25 scale, they were still hard to assemble. Usually above the skill level of a 8-12 year old. Never cared for the Lindberg kits as the detail was so poor; they looked more like toys than scale models. Monogram suffered from that to a degree also, but some judicious kit-bashing could correct that. JoHan had the 'weird' stuff; this was where you found late '50s/early '60s Mopars and AMC. Both AMT and JoHan got their start building 'dealer promos' for the manufacturers, their late '50/early '60s kits were little more than unassembled promos with glue-on louvers, spotlights, bubble skirts and a decal sheet. Bought tons of these at the 88 cent store (single kit .88, double 1.88). Super-easy to assemble and sturdy enough to roll around without breaking them easily.

Then AMT came out with their hot-rods... a game-changer. Much better detail (they now had engines!) with more custom features, these started the 'detail race' as each manufacturer tried to out-do each other. Lindberg and JoHan faded away, but a few new players showed up, with MPC being notable. Wish I still had my Jim Clark Lotus-Ford and Ford GT40… I liked the MPC models as they generally had better detailing than the AMT kits but usually weren't as hard to assemble as the Revell kits (although the GT40 with it's opening everything and fully-detailed suspension was a challenge). Many hours of enjoyment!

Of course, once I was driving, models lost their attraction. I built some later as an adult, but usually when working out of town; a cheap way to stay out of the bars... LOL. They all have since succumbed to the dust monster, the bane of all models...

The37Kid likes this.
  2. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Crazy Steve, the Lotus and GT40 were IMC. They also did the Little Red Wagon, VW Beetle, and big Dodge cabover truck. Really well detailed. But build-able.

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

Here's some pics of models I built about 40 years ago. Some were award winners at the NSRA Nationals model contests.

IMG_0472.JPG

IMG_0473.JPG

IMG_0474.JPG

IMG_0475.JPG

camcrusher and 41 coupe like this.
  4. LilBlue82

LilBlue82

Only old guys can afford em??? I must be the youngest old guy here. Im 23 and buy all the model kits i can afford!!. Heres my recent rat truck just need to shoot some clear 20190221_144305_HDR.jpeg 20190221_144347_HDR.jpeg 20190221_142118_HDR.jpeg

Sent from my LG-M327 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Monogram-6740-RedBaron.jpg 51fDQ5b0gtL.jpg attachment-image-46173b66-2d68-452c-bbf3-47dcc2cef661.jpg these . like things a little different.