Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model Car Sunday - Special Report?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gowjobs, Jul 29, 2007.

1. gowjobs

gowjobs

So yesterday, four So Cal modelbuilders gathered up in cool, overcast Carpinteria to spend a day just bashing plastic. This is the second such gathering, which we call the Plastic Thrash.

Everybody brings a bunch of their old models and spare parts, and lays them out on the table:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then we all start grabbing parts and gluing stuff together.
    [​IMG]

Some pizza, beer and glued-together fingers later, we ended up with some pretty wild builds.

Scuzzo was the fastest builder - he'd finished both of these freak-shows before lunch:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Halfass was also a speedy lil' sucker, but went off-road with his builds for some reason... probably because he couldn't find enough wide-whites.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I built a couple of open cars:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Flounder took all day on his, but it's definitely the best-finished of the bunch:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you want a really fun way to kill a day and use up a bunch of old plastic, I highly reccommend it.

2. Anderson

Anderson

Wow...those are some odd builds. Looks like fun though!

Worked on this one last week but there wasn't a model post so I'll share it now. Bought this as a built up from Hobby Heaven, been on a bubble top kick lately and couldn't pass it up. Lowered it a bit, swapped the hubcaps for chrome steelies, and added some foil. Cleaned up pretty well, and its a cool piece of model history (even if it is a bit ugly!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also started a quickie sister build for my Goodguys '32 project. This one has fenders and blackwalls...it will be a near copy of a car I saw at the Roundup. I'll have some pictures later.

3. These two really cought my eye. The lines on the white one just catch the eye. Not sure about the bed but from the side, I like it.
    The bottom one? Hey, my drag car is a Crosley wagon..small cars are cool.

4. Anderson

Anderson

Dave, your first build looks very dune buggy-ish. Prety neat.

Here's the 3-window. This one has the stretched chop instead of the leaned-pillars chop, and is chopped more than the red one. It will run a small block, bumpers, and be a lighter shade of blue. White firewall.

Attached Files:

5. 66gmc

66gmc

1929 ford roadster
    shortened body
    custom front suspension.
    Custom grill
    blown hemi
    Its not quite done yet i still got a few details i want to work out.

Attached Files:

6. Saoutlaws_Gotti

Saoutlaws_Gotti

Dammmmmm it
    i missed model car sunday last week and this week on account of having missed payment on internet services, but im back up and running and hopefully no one will mind me posting my past two weeks worth of miniature hotrodding a day late

(speaking in scale terms of coasre....lol... i took a cruise over to Mr. G's Customs hot rod shop this past weekend to check out the sights) no relly i dug out part of the huge diorama ive been collecting/ building on for the past few years. This thing is gonna be huge once finished probabley going to be around 8 by 8 deminsions, consisting of a Hot Rod shop, A burger Joint and half of a 4 way intersection

so here is some pics, hope you guys like

Attached Files:

7. Saoutlaws_Gotti

Saoutlaws_Gotti

ok guys and here is the building from the last two weeks

put together a descent lil chopped 32 5 window, not too much custom work going on here but lots of kit bashing. wheels are from the 29 model a pickup kit by revell, tires are from the spare parts box, 409 out of the spare parts box too and a set of custom/scratch built headers. i dunno the whole idea behind this one was some thing different and kinda a mild 60's indoor carshow kind of rod. still need to get a few small things done like a set of scratch built wishbones and cowl steering, and add some headlights & tail lights.

the 34 pickup finally got sprayed in color and awaiting a good non rainy/humid day for a coat of clear then it off to final assembly and a lil scratch building going on here too like wishbones and a ribbed bed cover and maybe a moontank.

Been thrashing hard on a pair of Model A pickups:
    The RPU is Revells body and frame with a scratch built bed and a severly chopped/hacked/z'ed frame to get it down in the weeds its running the Flattie from AMT's Merc kits.
    The Chopped Topper is strictly the leftover body and bed from the above mentioned Kit with a complete scratch built frame running a Flattie with several different parts from various kits. This one is basically a spare parts build and i am planning on giving it the rusty nasty yucky look to complement the undone body work look (just cause im getting lazy and dont feel like doing the bodywork...lol)

The 40 Coupe is the wifeys, she is kinda taking a break from the exhausting custom building and doing this one up pretty much box stock with the exception of a lil lowering job and a few added touches here and there. She is planning on spraying it Blue White (what color is that? yeah thats what i said but apparently its a pretty white that has a very slight tint of blue to it....HUH)

and last of all i finally decided on a intake setup for my Copper and Primer 32 5 window and scrounged up a set of air cleaners for the 29 Roadster

Attached Files:

8. I like the '40. Bendin' over and grabbing it's ankles.

9. Saoutlaws_Gotti

Saoutlaws_Gotti

hotrodyblock, thanks for the complament, i didnt think much of it when she got it all mocked up and told her it needed to go severly lowere in the rear and she needed to loose the nasty ass baby blue steelies. once i said all that she started painting all the interior stuff baby blue so i guess that means shes keeping the steelies

10. Yeah I dig a heavy rake over low all around anyday. Tell her I even like the primer and blue wheels combo.

11. Saoutlaws_Gotti

Saoutlaws_Gotti

she likes the raked look on 40's too we have a freind who has a cool looking one and she says it reminds her of his but the primer has to go she loves the pretty paint jobs and we already have way too many primer rods in the collection
    so its getting the white treatment for sure, Oh and it will be the first white rod in the collection too

12. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Man, where do you guys come up with all of these old style kits? I'd like to model the fendered modified roadster I'm building up but can't seem to ever find a fendered Model A Tudor Sedan Kit. What's my best bet since I'm from rural america read: in the sticks. Ebay? some other online source?

13. purple

purple

Revell made a 31 tudor. You can find it most recently as the rat rod 2 in 1 kit, or as the sedan delivery. The delivery comes with clear glass sides, just don't paint them and shave the handle on the back.

14. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Some great models guys!I just finished a Watson style 58 T-Bird,but I'm to computer stupid(read that as lazy or both)how to post a photo on a forum.

15. hemifarris

hemifarris

Has anyone bought either the 1/8 scale '32 3-window body, 5-window body or any other parts from Mike Gradis at www.edeuce.com ? I have several 1/8 scale deuce roadsters and was thinking of making one into a coupe. My concern is the quality, as his prices are not cheap..Thanks...Mike

16. SICBOY

SICBOY

17. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

stumbled across this thread while searching. does this plastic trash meeting take place every few months or once a year. My son builds models and i thought might be cool to take him to this. let me know