Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model B trans questions

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mikko_, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Does the B-trans use the V8-style bearing hub or the longer Model A-style hub?
    When used with B-engine, B-flywheel and stock clutch.

Also, my gear lever has a lot of slack even when the transmission is in gear.
    Wondering if there is suppossed to be some kind of bushing around the lever just where it enters the shift tower?

2. rusty valley

rusty valley

shift levers do wear. check to see that the slot in the ball is nice and uniform, and the round peg on the side too. they can be welded up and fixed. not sure about the throw out hub, but a pic would be a vanpelts sales, or the early ford garage. google em up

Mikko_ likes this.
  3. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I used everything out of a V8 trans in a bare B case on my A pickup with no problems.

51 mercules and Mikko_ like this.
  4. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Pulled the lever and you were correct about the slot in the ball being worn.
    I'll try and get that welded.

rusty valley likes this.

5. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Got the lever welded and that pretty much took care of the slack in the lever.

I have one more question though, does the B-trans and V8-trans use the same size U-joint?
    My B is missing it's U-joint but I do have a couple of V8-transmissions laying around.

I tried to remove the U-joint from one of the V8-transmissions to check for myself but didn't get it loose so before I put any more work into it I might just ask if it will work. :rolleyes:

6. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ford passenger car universal joints are the same, '28-'48, or so I've been told. Here's a link to a parts listing on Mac's that seems to indicated this is true. (The clamshell surrounding the universal is different for Model A, however.)

Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 1.49.15 PM.png

And congratulations on fixing the shifter issue. :D

Mikko_ likes this.